xnatex

Homophobia in gaming - and bigotry in homosexuals

Ok i understand how some people can be offended by being called a fag , homo or gay online but did it really call for a 6 page write up in your magazine honestly what a waste of paper.

I would say a six page article on the subject, out of 130-odd issues of the magazine, each with more than 90 pages of content (it's too early in the morning for math), is a pretty small investment on the matter, personally. I'd also suggest that far more people have found enjoyed it than not; like any article we print, that's about the only metric that really matters. Hell, I got more hate for liking Dragon Age 2!

Ok i understand how some people can be offended by being called a fag , homo or gay online but did it really call for a 6 page write up in your magazine honestly what a waste of paper.

I would say a six page article on the subject, out of 130-odd issues of the magazine, each with more than 90 pages of content (it's too early in the morning for math), is a pretty small investment on the matter, personally. I'd also suggest that far more people have found enjoyed it than not; like any article we print, that's about the only metric that really matters. Hell, I got more hate for liking Dragon Age 2!

Yeah but that's understandable.

I just realised, after reading the article, and this entire thread, my signature contains such slander.

No offense intended, but I'll still change it. <.<

I am in fact worse than Hitler, it's true.

I thought we were never supposed to say that outside the mod cave...

Hmmm, actually, I should probably be quiet now...

I liked DA2 as well.

I think if some homeosexuals are offended by having the term 'gay' used as an insult, then the rest of us should respect their concerns and use other insults.

There are plenty of other insults we can use.

I do not believe that "because it offends someone" is in and of itself a good reason to do or not do anything, quite independent of who is getting offended by what.

But who does it offend and why is the question. MRAs getting offended because you have expressed that beating your wife is not cool? Fuck them.

Homosexual people objecting to their sexual orientation being used as a synonym for contemptible? Fair enough. How can that not be acceptable?

Polite behaviour in society mightn't have hard and fast rules to follow like a game of chess but getting it right is still a worthwhile pursuit.

Edited by Hlass

Polite behaviour in society mightn't have hard and fast rules to follow like a game of chess but getting it right is still a worthwhile pursuit.

+1

And because I have nothing else to add to this conversation, I'll explain that and end this sentence momentarily.

I found it interesting that instead of taking on the feedback that the term Gay, when placed on some one as an insult can be taken as offensive by gay people. they take offence at being told they are offensive and then try to undermine the credability of the article and thus discount it's relevence to them.

in observing namecalling in online environments i find it un neccessary to call names. I have seen it done (by my son too) and then name calling erupted about his inability to play he turned it around and pointed out, with no name calling, the specifics of their hypocracy. far more sitisfying that calling them gay noobs.

And because I have nothing else to add to this conversation, I'll explain that and end this sentence momentarily.

Heh. I admire your style :-)

I think if some homeosexuals are offended by having the term 'gay' used as an insult, then the rest of us should respect their concerns and use other insults.

There are plenty of other insults we can use.

I do not believe that "because it offends someone" is in and of itself a good reason to do or not do anything, quite independent of who is getting offended by what.
Are you focusing on what Virt literally typed, or do you think he wasn't at all using it as shorthand for a much more convoluted set of reasons why it's a dick move?

I liked DA2 as well.

I like Nich more then you now...
Sick burn. PS, your money is in the mail.

I got more hate for liking Dragon Age 2!

DA2 was the best,i even played through all the DLC packs lol, the ninja in "mark of the assassin" was awesome

best move ever =

I am in fact worse than Hitler, it's true.

I've always thought you had better fashion sence then him tho... :p

Seriously, I liked the artical. Too many times the auto response by other gamers of "your gay!" spews forth over the coms to leave a rather unsatisfied insult. It has become, sadly, a common insult of little worth in society. Not that I have been innocent of such statements. Far from it. But the lat ge years I have been trying to get more creative in insulting my digital temporary opponent. Leaving them speechless is rather satisfying then just sexual preference antagonism.

I have found a great youtube series, "good griefing". They go around griefing in various games, but do so followed by rather creative retorts that in the coms, makes their opponents look rather foolish. They invoke an emotional response from their opponents that is far more satisfying then just random auto-slurs.

the point is, they get creative, and thus (from memory) don't have to resort to sexual orientation slurs that their 12 year old opponents (you know what I mean) so easily let spew fourth.

Personally, I have been looking for alternatives to use in normal life. I try to avoid such throwaway lines as "god damn it" and "mother fucker". Well even just fuck" in general is overused. Often I have used "fuck you, you fucking fucked up fucking fucker". But thats not creative. And that is what we need.

So in summary, loved the oppinion piece, and I shal endever to try better. :)

Pfft, the only good thing about the Nazis was the snazzy dress sense.

Pfft, the only good thing about the Nazis was the snazzy dress sense.

Interesting trivia if you didnt know already -

Hugo Boss started his clothing company in 1924 in Metzingen, a small town south of Stuttgart, where it is still based. However, due to the economic climate in Germany at the time Boss was forced into bankruptcy. In 1931 he reached an agreement with his creditors, leaving him with 6 sewing machines to start again. The same year, he became a member of the Nazi party and a sponsoring member ("Förderndes Mitglied") of the Schutzstaffel (SS)

I don't think he'd have been as successful if he called his company ''Hugo Minion''.

Heil Hugo kinda has a ring to it...

I don't think he'd have been as successful if he called his company ''Hugo Minion''.

Heil Hugo kinda has a ring to it...

The same can not be said of Like a Hugo