Sign in to follow this  
hawkeye

Newsletter stuff

So, if you've been paying attention, you'll see we're focusing a lot more on the Atomic site at the moment (the front page, that is). We're producing more content from more writers, and hoping to really grow Atomic online into something special. I have high hopes.

As part of this, we're also looking at doing a second newsletter. With many dozens more stories on the site, we feel it's going to get easy to miss the good stuff, so we're experimenting. If folks don't like it, or have an opinion the other way... we'd love to hear it.

Also - you have been warned!

Hey David, this is unrelated, but no point making a new thread to ask considering its got a little to do with your topic.

Do you think that perhaps the newsletters or even the front page could advertise some of the things going on in the forums?

Things like Build Logs, Mod Threads, User Reviews, competitions and clans etc. things like the F1 competition and the WOT and BF3 clans, interesting stuff like that the readers of the front page, would most likely find interesting. Might be a good way to get some more active forum users if we can can show them that our community is just like the magazine.

Thoughts?

It's something I've thought of in the past, and I trailed that with doing POTM on the front page - but no one was really looking at it, beyond the regulars, who know about it anyway.

That said, content's content, and I have said here a couple of time if the 'keepers' of a particular thread want to see it on the front page, let me know - fire me an email/PM with a little write-up and I'll do something. I certainly think our F1 and World of Tanks threads are worth it :)

Content is content? I don't mind you putting my cider thread on the front page, tho' it's a little unloved while I try to lose weight :p

Bring back Friday Linky Fun. It had great, humourous content and would attract newcomers and provide a good spunky look for this community.

I remember sometime early last year, you guys would pump like 8 articles on the Atomic home page per day. What you're doing right now is very reminiscent of that. :)

That was pretty much just me, back then, and it's more or less impossible to maintain long term :)

As to the linky-links, that's a tough one - Ewa, who was doing it, compiled it over the week and then wrote it up on the Friday. I just don't have the time for it! But... I believe her maternity leave won't be forever...

Oh yeah that's why Ewa left. I was wondering about that while I was typing up my previus post.

What if you ask us atomicans to provide links to funny shizz and at the end of the week, you can pick out the good ones and make a Friday Linky out of that.

We could just PM you the shenanigans or something...

If you are too busy I can understand.

As long as you're not sending out more than 5 a day! (PC&TA get close to that at times)

Well, actually, Twinkie, there was something similar promised at the time Ewa did leave, something community driven, but nothing actually came of it :)

And not a single mention of Wasteland 2 in your newsletter... *sigh* you call yourselves geeks... :P

/me goes and drinks another Snake Squeezins.

AD

So, if you've been paying attention, you'll see we're focusing a lot more on the Atomic site at the moment (the front page, that is). We're producing more content from more writers, and hoping to really grow Atomic online into something special. I have high hopes.

As part of this, we're also looking at doing a second newsletter. With many dozens more stories on the site, we feel it's going to get easy to miss the good stuff, so we're experimenting. If folks don't like it, or have an opinion the other way... we'd love to hear it.

Also - you have been warned!

Haven't read it yet as I've been a bit busy this afternoon, but I have noticed that in recent months by the time I get my mag I have already read a substantial amount of the content in it. Can we maybe figure out some way to mark which articles are going in the mag and which are site only? Because I don't want to stop reading the site and I also don't want the mag half read by the time I get it :(

Oh yeah that's why Ewa left. I was wondering about that while I was typing up my previus post.

What if you ask us atomicans to provide links to funny shizz and at the end of the week, you can pick out the good ones and make a Friday Linky out of that.

We could just PM you the shenanigans or something...

If you are too busy I can understand.

Should we start a thread for random links and strange happenings?

Yup, hawkeye is correct, we tried getting the community to submit links to me but I didn't get a single PM or email about it, so it died :o

Can we maybe figure out some way to mark which articles are going in the mag and which are site only? Because I don't want to stop reading the site and I also don't want the mag half read by the time I get it :(

Pretty much any review on the site, plus news, and maybe even some previews/interviews.

It's a tough one, I know, but we just can't afford to treat the site like a second hand brand anymore. That Shogun 2 review that went up last week, for instance, did major traffic over the weekend, because we posted it when it was released; if we'd waited to do it first in the mag, it'd pretty much have zero impact when it went online.

But there will be regular items that you can only find in the print editions. Engine Room, for instance, will always lead in print, as will any of our hardware features (like Matt's sub-zero piece) or Head2Heads. Columns will generally be print exclusive, as will things like Modnews, Dan's letters, or Gearbox, for what it's worth. And occasionally, we'll have exclusive reviews like our Skyrim piece, that fall more perfectly for the print edition than the online one.

As to whether that's enough to justify buying the mag, when you're a regular here... Only you can make that decision :)

As to whether that's enough to justify buying the mag, when you're a regular here... Only you can make that decision :)

I'm one month into a 3 year sub, I might just limit myself to only reading the articles of immediate interest on the site :)