Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

You have been invited to play Dota 2

I opted in the beta a few months ago,

I just got the email now

Congratulations! You have been selected to play Dota 2

I wonder how it will run on my i3 / radeon 5470m laptop!

I'd like my pc back right now!

Anyone else in the closed beta??

I just got it too!

I was thinking of making a thread as well.

But now I want to know, what is DOTA?

I got my invite yesterday. Played it last night and I'm not really blown away by it. I feel HoN is a far superior game.

HoN has the following bonuses for me:

Less input lag

Australian Servers (not in Match Making though unfortunately)

More heroes

A better shop menu

Better spectator mode

More information in GUI in game, like friendly hero health and gold etc.

faster play style and higher detailed animations (easier to tell what is happening)

removed secret shop purchasing (which is a pain in the arse IMO)

completely customisable bindings. Can re-bind any control or function, DoTA I couldn't rebind zoom (I like to use my mouse wheel for attack and deny)

DoTA has the follow perks:

APAC Match making Server

From my very brief experience (4 games) a better community (but that could also be that it's in BETA so it's played by people who want to be there).

similar play speed to LoL if you prefer that game

I got in yesterday as well. I haven't had a chance to see how much I've forgotten or how used to LoL I've got. A few other friends got in today though so I'll probably make and attempt at it later.

lol morg, do you realise it's been 6 years since you and me were playing DotA over Hamachi? 6 freakin years, hahahahahhaa

Seriously though, no I don't have a DotA 2 key. poo.

I got my invite yesterday. Played it last night and I'm not really blown away by it. I feel HoN is a far superior game.

HoN has the following bonuses for me:

Less input lag

Australian Servers (not in Match Making though unfortunately)

More heroes

A better shop menu

Better spectator mode

More information in GUI in game, like friendly hero health and gold etc.

faster play style and higher detailed animations (easier to tell what is happening)

removed secret shop purchasing (which is a pain in the arse IMO)

completely customisable bindings. Can re-bind any control or function, DoTA I couldn't rebind zoom (I like to use my mouse wheel for attack and deny)

DoTA has the follow perks:

APAC Match making Server

From my very brief experience (4 games) a better community (but that could also be that it's in BETA so it's played by people who want to be there).

similar play speed to LoL if you prefer that game

You're kidding right? LoL feels so damn slow x(

6 years??

Holy shit, man!

So far I don't mind it, hopefully the game ends up more responsive than it is right now.

However, I'm playing on a laptop without spectacular FPS, but very playable.

Also, Razor looks fucking meataxe!

Unco, I've never played HoN or LoL, I spent too much time in competitive NWN to bother :/

Yer, if the game gets some reduced input lag, along with a small speed up, I'll possibly play it. But for now it feels like LoL that has been worked on for a little longer, with a slightly more advanced player set.

I realise to people who don't play this genre that all three of the games probably seem incredibly similar (and they are in many ways), but for me HoN still seems to be the best. Let's see what Valve can do before this game goes live eh.

I still haven't got it.

*sigh*

I just got it too!

I was thinking of making a thread as well.

But now I want to know, what is DOTA?

DOTA stands for Defense of the Ancients(Asians)

Arguably one of the most intense, competitive multiplayer games out there that contains quite a bit of Asian pride.

You get a hero from the Blizzard universe, customize, level up and kill other heros in battle in teams.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

the aim of the game is in this order:

1) pull your finger out to steal kills off team mates

45) having fun.

Seriously, dota is great but so many fuckwits.

just got my invite today, considering going home for lunch to start the DL.

read the comment above about dota and hamachi.. thats exactly what my friends and wow guild used to do tuesday nights. dota over hamachi. good freaking times. I play a lot of LoL, but didn't ever try HoN as it was paytoplay and then was too committed to LoL when it went free.

I am looking forward to dota2, but i am not sure if it will replace LoL/Hon or just fall in along side, as both games are pretty well refined these days, and have a very large player base.

HoN will drop off heavily as most competitive players from HoN came over from DotA 1. Those players have a "DotA pride" mentality, and will go to DotA 2. Given how competitive this game and genre is, amateur players will follow, later followed by casual. LoL player base is larger, and will survive easily.

I've heard HoN was mostly full of absolute tools, so I mostly avoided it. So is LoL but apparently to a much lesser extent from people who've played both a lot.

I'd like to see DotA2 do well, but only because it is a good game which deserves it, and not because its a spiritual successor to DotA. I started the download at lunch time, and it's already finished. I have plans after work, but hopefully I can get in a few games tonight.

My name on steam is animush if anyone wants to add me. I'm not on that often unless I am playing something steam based though.

I played HoN... For one game I tried my hardest (played through tutorial and everything) but I got owned and sort of caused my team to lose, I didn't get constructive feedback or help from the players oh no. I got "you fucking suck you pathetic cunt". I just never played again however I do enjoy LoL.

I've been playing the DOTA beta and it's been great a little bit tricky to get the hang of but it's still really good fun.

Edited by insertfunnyname

Managed to get in 2 games tonight, against bots. Both games took close to an hour as 2-3 people left both time, im not fond of simple bot matches going longer than 20-30 mins, even normal games which last that long begin to get tedious. Didn't win either game though, DotA2 bots aren't too bad, much smarter than bots in LoL. I got owned by bot juggernaut both games, his spin damage is ridiculous and I kept getting swapped next to him :(

Initial impression... really didn't enjoy it much. I need to give it a few more games, with a few more heroes, but so far I can't see myself being a regular player.

Too many things I just didn't like though. Its like they tried to hard to stick to the original, but also wanted to incorporate some of the innovations from HoN/LoL which just hasn't worked out very well IMO.

It may be just the beta, but it seems to be lacking a lot of polish, and as it is now, I would rather play LoL any day.

Had a few games ... and I gotta say, I'm not impressed. It's slow as fuck and by slow I mean my movement / input. It's utterly balls. If they fixed that issue I could really see myself getting into this.