PC or Mac?

Which do you use?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which Hardware/OS do you prefer?

• PC Only - Screw Mac
    • Mac Only - Screw PC
    • Both - Screw the haters
    • I use [insert *nix flavour here] I am better than all of you,

So, going on from the thread about shooting iPads, as it has gone away from the "Mac is better hurr durr, no PC is better hurr durr", thing, I thought I would ask the question.

What do current atomicans use for their daily usage?

Work machine, personal machine what have you, I want to see what the numbers look like for our atomicans.

If you use Windows and OSX on a Mac, put the both option and clarify in a post.

I would put this in one of the respective Win or Mac sections, but we know how it will end if I put it in one or the other, so here it is going.

Ok go!

EDIT: I should say;

I use a MacBook Pro at home, I didn't end up keeping windows on it in any form as I have a Win machine for my MediaPC.

Work, I use an ASUS ultrabook with Win7.

Edited by lunchbox1988

Both - whatever works best for the required function.

PC for gaming, work and at home.

Mac, iPad, iPhone for everyday and travelling.

I have my PC and Mac side-by-side at work. I use my MacBook Pro for Outlook, Lync, Citrix, and anything web-based, and my work-issued Windows desktop for the handful of vendor apps I manage.

Similarly at home, I have my Core i5 rig for gaming, and my MBP beside it for MSN, Youtube, etc.

Edited by SquallStrife

no mac stuff here.

got my beast, which I built myself.....isn't that the real fun bit? when you've put together a PC that you've designed in your mind, then benchmarking that sucker etc etc

I have no use for a lappy, the mac's look nice, but after playing with my mate's mac, I don't like them at all.

my fone's an HTC

yeh, no mac stuff here.

I'm a PC user. Nothing against mac, but they are different.

I have XP, Win 7, Linux, and Solaris that I have to deal with, and most of those are not negotiable. I see no value in adding another platform to work with.

The same applies to linux flavours I use RH/Fedora/Centos variants for work, so I use the same family for my personal stuff - Not denying they are benefits of other distros, but not going there.

Personally, I'm at the stage where it's PC at home for games, and Mac at work.

I manage quite a few *nix systems, so using mac OS is much nicer and easier.

When you can use something as simple as Xcode and homebrew to set up FOSS easily, and with the same command-line parameters as the unix or linux system you have on a remove server, and you can, it's a beautiful thing.

Obviously if my work involved windows server, a PC would be more useful.

Regardless of what I said in that other thread, I voted both.

Would like to give a Mac a good go at some stage.

mac used to be different but now its just a overpriced pc oem with a different os

if you have loads of cash, and don't want to have the ability to upgrade hardware, buy a mac, they will run Windows too.

Otherwise, PC all the way

or

Android all the way, who needs Mac or Windows any more?

Agreed Dasa, and also if we talk iphone or ipod why would I waste money on equipment that tells me what I can and cannot do with my content. I recently had to direct, in another thread, Genisis x to some software just so he could get music off his mothers iphone back onto their PC. :(

So in short I say fuck apple and the horse it rode in on, its a good idea gone bad.

if you have loads of cash, and don't want to have the ability to upgrade hardware, buy a mac, they will run Windows too.

Otherwise, PC all the way

or

Android all the way, who needs Mac or Windows any more?

Upgrading CPU and GPU in a laptop is damn near impossible in most laptops.

HDD and RAM, easily done in all machines (excpet MacMini is tricky I hear).

I use an i5 Windows 7 as my desktop, but am using it less and less since I have both an iPhone and New iPad. If I ever need a laptop, I'd be buying a MacBook Air without a doubt.

I had a Xoom recently, and while the hardware was ok, I found Android to be a nightmare. After a week it was just a $400 paperweight.

The device should be transparent to what the user is doing. I spent most of my time fighting Android, just trying to email, web browse and watch a SD avi. Nope, have to install 10 different apps just to find one that adequately does the job, all the while being bombarded with ads.

lol, perhaps.

I know the forums here are a little more even with Android and iOS being about neck and neck (from what I have seen) Win Phone might get a look in.

I use my MBP for just about everything I use my ultrabook for, only thing is, work didn' pay for my MBP, so I only use it when I am at home or at work doing non-work stuff.

My work laptop gets used for work in and outside the office.

I am actually looking at trying a day or two ith only the iPad and my iPhones on my desk, so leave the laptop in my bag and do my day's work with only a tablet and phone.

Both have their place, depends on your needs.

I have both, as well as IOS and Android devices.

I think the haters are amusing.

ITT:

If a vendor's ecosystem doesn't suit the requirements of my niche usage patterns, it is of no use to anybody and is therefore a total waste.

Edit:

Both have their place, depends on your needs.

I have both, as well as IOS and Android devices.

I think the haters are amusing.

Well said.

Edited by SquallStrife

I dual-boot Linux (OpenSUSE 12.1 KDE x86-64 for the curious) and Vista HP x64 on my current machine. Ubuntu 11.10 is installed too, but I do have to add it back to the GRUB menu.

Don't mind 7 though - I have my Vista install modded so that it basically functions as 7 (superbar included, which really suits the way I get things done), so my next machine (which I'm currently speccing) will be Win7 based for sure.

The only use i have for windows now is for games.

Eveything else i need a computer for i can do in OpenSUSE.

As for Mac's, I see no point given it's just BSD with a pretty GUI running on x86 hardware (at stupid price.)

it's just BSD with a pretty GUI running on x86 hardware

OpenSUSE is "just" Linux, too. But we both know the kernel is nothing without a good user experience (something sorely lacking in most non-commercial OS'es).

Windows all the way for me.

The PC I built in 2008 is still going strong with Win7; my phone is an HTC Trophy (Windows Phone 7.5); when my phone plan is up I'll be going for a Nokia Lumia 800 (WP7.5) and my next PC is looking to be an i7 Lenovo Yoga "ultraslate".

Between the Google, Apple and MS ecosystems I prefer being "with" or "in" MS.

Mac at home. Virtualised XP on it as well as dual-boot to Windows 7 for gaming.

Linux desktop at work. I use all, fuck all the haters.

Agreed Dasa, and also if we talk iphone or ipod why would I waste money on equipment that tells me what I can and cannot do with my content. I recently had to direct, in another thread, Genisis x to some software just so he could get music off his mothers iphone back onto their PC. :(

So in short I say fuck apple and the horse it rode in on, its a good idea gone bad.

................FFFUUUCCKKK AAAPPPPPLLLEEEE

Now I do have my reasons, and the bulk of them have been covered within these walls awhile ago (cant find the threads)

little add---got lied to by the salesman (i shoulda known better), got lied to by the local apple service guy, got lied to by the guy on apple's phone support. 3 wrongs dont make a right!!!!!!