Which do you use?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which Hardware/OS do you prefer?

• PC Only - Screw Mac
    • Mac Only - Screw PC
    • Both - Screw the haters
    • I use [insert *nix flavour here] I am better than all of you,

up sides more power and more accurate monitor extras are not a rip

down sides is it will use more power as the psu is to big for the system its not using mobile parts and the monitor isnt led

down sides:

You still have to build it, and piss about with the OS and drivers

It's still not an all-in-one

You can't take the whole system to a store front and say "fix it"

I know that for you and I, it's not an issue, but iMac isn't for you and I.

The extra cost isn't "wasted". You get something for it.

Plus the extra costs of engineering, product r&d and getting an OEM like foxconn to manufacture the specialty parts like mobo's power supplies ect.

you don't just throw together an imac, macbook air, macbook pro ect with parts you ordered from pccg.

edit: I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest because I acknowledge the fact you can build for yourself a better machine specs wise but joe bloggs can't and usually requires a company such as Apple, Dell, HP ect to cater to his needs.

Edited by nesquick

apple has done well finding its own niche spots in the market

and if you buy the base product without making any changes then there not bad value and i admire the efficiency of there products

these dell all in ones look fairly good to me but im not sure what monitors they use in them

http://www.dell.com/au/p/touch-screen-desktops

That 27" one looks pretty good, no mobile cpu's in sight either.

Edited by nesquick

I would have thought they would just drop in the 27" IPS panel from the U2711? must be to do with its depth or something.

another possibility but dell have a tendency to use great panels wherever possible, who knows.

Edited by nesquick

must be to do with its depth or something.

?

Pretty sure the Samsung is just a cheaper panel.

fairly sure the samsung ple panels are fairly expensive but probably not as good as the best ips panels yet

mac used to be different but now its just a overpriced pc oem with a different os

I agree with Dasa, however they do make good media players. i stick with the cheaper option, I only use their Ipod.

Plus the extra costs of engineering, product r&d and getting an OEM like foxconn to manufacture the specialty parts like mobo's power supplies ect.

you don't just throw together an imac, macbook air, macbook pro ect with parts you ordered from pccg.

edit: I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest because I acknowledge the fact you can build for yourself a better machine specs wise but joe bloggs can't and usually requires a company such as Apple, Dell, HP ect to cater to his needs.

you have to remember, that foxconn supplies all the brand names, and the brand name use them because they buy millions of them, and get them incredibly cheap.

You dont just throw together a hp or toshiba laptop either, but their machines are much cheaper.

I think apple have some decent machines, and somewhat innovative (to an extent) but i dont believe they can justify the price tag.

I prefer using a Mac, but I have a good PC I use for gaming and use that 90% of the time since it's there and set up on my desk.

If I didn't care about gaming, I would choose an iMac over any OEM PC. They use such great panels, the chassis is just so damn well designed, and the support is superb.

If I took a broken 2.5 year old PC back to Dell, I doubt they would replace it with a current model for no charge, almost no questions asked.

Apple do, had a mate take a 2007 24-inch iMac in with issues, they walked out with a 2010 27-inch iMac.

I prefer using a Mac, but I have a good PC I use for gaming and use that 90% of the time since it's there and set up on my desk.

If I didn't care about gaming, I would choose an iMac over any OEM PC. They use such great panels, the chassis is just so damn well designed, and the support is superb.

If I took a broken 2.5 year old PC back to Dell, I doubt they would replace it with a current model for no charge, almost no questions asked.

Apple do, had a mate take a 2007 24-inch iMac in with issues, they walked out with a 2010 27-inch iMac.

i think your mate had what i like to call a "miracle" in which it only ever happened to him. Apple is renowned for it's stingy policies, and have set up various traps for consumers so they have to buy a replacement, rather than get something fixed under warranty.

Agree with the above. Though I cant wait for Vizio to come to Australia if they do

http://store.vizio.com/ca27a2.html

Posted Image

That does look pretty nice. I wonder what the hell the specs are to be that thin. It doesn't give the specific details about the graphics or CPU but would still like to see it come to our shores.

I think they look good too, just thinking practically and with the weight of my wallet. I cannot justify buying a mac, at all.

I think they look good too, just thinking practically and with the weight of my wallet. I cannot justify buying a mac, at all.

LOL

Worse panel, slightly worse GPU (but with more VRAM), slower CPU, no Thunderbolt, no optical drive, no ability to use external monitors.

But it's a few hundred dollars less than the lower spec 27" iMac, so you get what you pay for.

Edited by SquallStrife

LOL

Worse panel, slightly worse GPU (but with more VRAM), slower CPU, no Thunderbolt, no optical drive, no ability to use external monitors.

But it's a few hundred dollars less than the lower spec 27" iMac, so you get what you pay for.

That's the point, with mac's.... you don't. that's as simple as it gets.

LOL

That's the point, with mac's.... you don't. that's as simple as it gets.

I've literally JUST demonstrated that you actually do.

The 27" Vizio is less machine, for less money. That's "as simple as it gets".

Edit: Perhaps you misunderstood what I said. "lower spec 27" iMac" means the lower of the two configurations on offer. The lower model iMac 27" has better specs and features than the 27" Vizio, and costs proportionately more. How are you not getting what you pay for?

Edited by SquallStrife

Agree with the above. Though I cant wait for Vizio to come to Australia if they do

http://store.vizio.com/ca27a2.html

Posted Image

That does look pretty nice. I wonder what the hell the specs are to be that thin. It doesn't give the specific details about the graphics or CPU but would still like to see it come to our shores.

It uses mobile parts

-i7 3610qm

-GT640m LE (could be kepler could be fermi)

-8gb ram

-32gb ssd + 1TB hdd

-1080P panel (would look like shit, probaby a TN)

It uses mobile parts

-i7 3610qm

-8gb ram

-32gb ssd + 1TB hdd

From what I can tell, the LE version of the 640m is quite a bit worse than the non-LE version. Keeps the costs down, no doubt.

Otherwise it's not a bad all-in-one for the price.

No, it's a shocking price for an all in one. Anything that's over $1k I think you are seriously getting ripped off.

It uses mobile parts

-i7 3610qm

-8gb ram

-32gb ssd + 1TB hdd

From what I can tell, the LE version of the 640m is quite a bit worse than the non-LE version. Keeps the costs down, no doubt.

Otherwise it's not a bad all-in-one for the price.

I have researched this quite a bit, it can be either kepler architecture or fermi architecture, if its kepler its not to bad, the chip is incredibly scalable ie: with a bios mod to unlock it you can overclock it about 3-350mhz without any vcore increase and marginal heat increase, which brings it up to GT650m territory and pretty much gives it about a 40% boost in FPS, the Fermi one is just a rebranded GT540m basically. Edited by nesquick