Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
SacrificialNewt

Dodo Advertisement - non PC?

I received your average spam email today from PC Tech. It was an advertisement for Dodo bundled broadband.

I can only speak for about 20 personal friends who have used Dodo broadband and lived to regret it (and that's ALL my friends who I know have used Dodo). I have my own personal horror story but the husband got us out of the contract on the grounds that the service provided was not what was advertised.

So...the question is, have you had a good experience with Dodo and will I get banned for this? ;)

I had one, not that I want to go into it.

I was having conversations with guys at work, and one guy swore by them, only guy I've ever found to say good things about them.

I've never dealt with ruder customer service people though.

Edited by BeDLaM#29

Still cannot believe they have not gone the way of the Dodo, over the years I have had new clients come to me who have been with Dodo. Needless to say I got them out of their contracts ASAP to save their money/sanity.

How is the ad non PC?

Non PC was more a take on politically correct. I believe it is not good business to advertise Dodo and perhaps lead some poor unsuspecting noob into the Dodo contractual noose.

I don't think Haymarket would ever give a fuck as long as this advertisement pays the bills.

could be worse, telstra keep getting #1 in the annual tech surveys, but they've never taken the opportunity to advertise with Atomic. (Yes, I'm a bigpond cable customer)

I'm amazed anyone has anything good to say about them, when I encounter them I do the same as Bowiee.

They don't even own their own infrastructure, its a pure marketing exercise - or worse.

Cheers

*lines up for a kick and boots this across to feedback*

+1 on the horror stories for Dodo. Don't have my own, but don't know a single person who has used them that was happy.

I had one issue with dodo...

We had (this was quite some time ago) a backup link at work which was dodo (this is when adsl was at the blistering speeds of at most 1.5mbit, and cost us ~$200/month).

Anyway, we decided that when we upgraded the adsl account to what was the just released asdl2, we'd kick the dialup account. So for months, MONTHS we called them and told them we wanted to cancel our account. They refused, or lied saying that they would cancel it, every time. We ended up just stopping payment of the account, and suddenly they called us up and started to bitch and complain about us not paying. This was the first time we spoke to someone within australia, rather than an overseas call centre. We then politely explained the situation, after which they were very quiet... Then tried to sell us more services. Clearly we told them to cancel the account and never call us again...

But... yeah, why would Haymarket even accept Dodo as a client? Credibility as a company is affected by things like this.

I work in a retail establishment that deals with Dodo. A customer of mine purchased the starter pack for mobile broadband which came with 500mb per month for a year, an offer that was printed on the front of the packaging. Dodo wouldn't honour the offer until after he called customer service, I called customer service, and then called the rep, who then called custoemr service. This process took a month to rectify.

In a word, avoid.

Do you honestly think that Atomic are testing and verifying the integrity of advertisers?

Adds are bought and sold, not earned.

Do you honestly think that Atomic are testing and verifying the integrity of advertisers?

It's a pity...

Computer magazines shouldn't advertise bad services... downs their reputation imo.

Indeed.

To be a bit melodramatic, a reader would have to be a blistering idiot to think that an advertisement is a recommendation. Therefore there is no problem with Atomic printing Dodo's adverts

Rob.

It was a PC Tech advertisement so not Atomic per se...it's just that Haymarket own PC Tech.

Unfortunately, there are thousands of blistering idiots out there. There have to be because otherwise Dodo would be extinct, as bowiee stated.

Isn't the joke on Dodo? The audience of Atomic is unlikely to use Dodo because of the preponderance of such horror stories. And, it's probably a more cashed-up crowd that isn't deciding between lowest-price budget service, and no internet at all.

The audience of PC Tech? Probably reasonably discerning.

Isn't the joke on Dodo? The audience of Atomic is unlikely to use Dodo because of the preponderance of such horror stories. And, it's probably a more cashed-up crowd that isn't deciding between lowest-price budget service, and no internet at all.

The audience of PC Tech? Probably reasonably discerning.

Well, the people who join up may be reasonably discerning but let me tell you how I found Atomic.

Way back in 2002 or so, I acquired an Internet capable computer. All of a sudden I was like a kid in a candy store and decided I wanted a career in web design. I went to TAFE and to start, I did a course that was well below my capabilities but not by an awful lot...it was titled 'Introduction to the Internet' and was full of elderly people trying to get their heads around it. I went on to acquire a diploma in sys admin but I learned about Atomic in that class. It was on a sheet of sites to visit for technical advice. For some reason, I signed up and started posting.

So yeah - absolute novices visit these sites too :)

Edited by SacrificialNewt

I'm... not sure how this has found it's way onto Atomic's feedback. I mean, we're separate mags after all, and this was an marketing sent to PC&TA's list, not ours...

ITS NOT THE POINT DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT DURRRRRR

I mean... Hi.

Sup?

Dodo?

more like DooDoo

he he, you said DooDoo.

I still haev a soft spot for their faster than dial up dial up.