Sign in to follow this  
MisterK

New build for a friend

Have been out of the PC game for a while (I'm still kicking a i7920 + HD4890)

Recently a buddy asked me to put together a computer for him.

This is what I came up with:

Posted Image

I haven't put a heat sink and fan on there. Not totally sure he will be doing much in the way of overclocking yet.

Am I right in thinking you can get up around 3.8-4ghz pretty comfortably on stock HS/F?

Any other obvious mistakes I've made?

Thanks in advanced everyone.

Edited by MisterK

I'd spend the extra ~$20 on an optical that could burn BDs, not just read them, but other than that it looks good.

I'd spend the extra ~$20 on an optical that could burn BDs, not just read them, but other than that it looks good.

Not a bad idea.

Not sure he would ever actually use that feature, but for $20 it's hard to argue with.

how much do blank blu-rays cost these days?

i think the best investment i made on my rig (other then the awesome case!) was the corsair h100, if you cant fit that in the case go for the h80 instead, think there around the $150ish mark

theres a whole thread here if you wanna read up

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=46487

Interesting. Although, as I said, not sure if he will be doing any overclocking at all. He can get into that world all by himself.

This is his first big gaming rig, I don't think I should swamp him with those sorts of options.

A 3rd party hs/f combo like the CM Hyper 212 is one thing, but a $150 water cooling setup is a little hardcore.

Thanks guys, keep it coming :)

looks good but here is a few things to consider

asrock gen4 $169 has front panel usb3 which may or may not be worth the extra to him

450w model of that psu would be fine but the 550w leaves some room for a ~300w gpu if the 7870 gets upgraded at some point

22nm ivy and z77 mb looks like being out to replace sandy (2500k) next month but its compatible with that z68 mb

I've never even seen a blank BD in real life. I can't think of any reason I'd want to spend eternity burning 50GB to an expensive single-use disk when I could just throw it on a hard drive in a fraction of the time.

If you care about having USB3 ports I would opt up for the Extreme4. In hindsight, I would have, because my case has USB3 ports on the front, but my extreme3 board doesn't. If I find I have serious need for USB3 ports though I'll just get an internal card (which I assume exists).

Is 120 GB enough for the SSD? An option is to just get a 60 GB SSD and use it as a cache; that way he doesn't have to arrange stuff over two drives.

I've never even seen a blank BD in real life. I can't think of any reason I'd want to spend eternity burning 50GB to an expensive single-use disk when I could just throw it on a hard drive in a fraction of the time.

See, that was my thinking originally (personally I don't even have an optical drive in my desktop)

I think we'll stick with the combo drive.

If you care about having USB3 ports I would opt up for the Extreme4. In hindsight, I would have, because my case has USB3 ports on the front, but my extreme3 board doesn't. If I find I have serious need for USB3 ports though I'll just get an internal card (which I assume exists).

asrock gen4 $169 has front panel usb3 which may or may not be worth the extra to him

Very good points there lads, the bitfenix has front usb3 ports, so Extreme4 it is.

Is 120 GB enough for the SSD? An option is to just get a 60 GB SSD and use it as a cache; that way he doesn't have to arrange stuff over two drives.

Ha! was just discussing this with him. He likes the sound of that idea. Less micromanaging of storage space is a good thing

Have changed it too a 60gb Intel 520.

450w model of that psu would be fine but the 550w leaves some room for a ~300w gpu if the 7870 gets upgraded at some point

Parts are so ridiculously efficient these days. Makes my i7 920 and HD4890 look stoneage in comparison.

And being able to get a Platinum level PSU for that price is awesome. I think it will have more than enough headroom for him. In case he adds a second 7870 later on, or, a couple of years from now, a new higher tier GPU

22nm ivy and z77 mb looks like being out to replace sandy (2500k) next month but its compatible with that z68 mb

I made him wait for the GTX680 release to see what it would do to prices.

He doesn't want to wait anymore :)

New List:

Posted Image