BeDLaM#29

Game of Thrones Season 2 discussion (spoilers)

It's awesome that nothing's black and white though, (except perhaps Joff being a total %$#^).

For example Tywin, basically the root of all 'evil', inadvertently saves Arya and Gendry, (mainly because he wants to put them to work, but it is a kindness).

Root of all evil because well, he's leading the 'baddies', but also, if you think Melisandre's spawn is messed up, how about siring undoubtedly the most incestuous, murderous and tyrannical twins, and then a dwarf who rips your wife open!

Tywin is a strategist. Not evil, simply unfeeling. He knows it makes no sense to be totally evil, since one's subservients need to want to serve, however he also knows that they should fear you.

And not all his children are evil, Tyrion is perhaps the most likable character in the books once he breaks free of his family and even Jaime shows he has honor. Only Cersei is really evil.

I really thought they did a great job on the Shadow Child, though I was rather disappointed by the new Mountain, I thought the last one, the Aussie actor, far more suited. The new guy didn't seem to have the muscle you expect. Maybe he'll better suit Gregorstein.

Tywin is a strategist. Not evil, simply unfeeling. He knows it makes no sense to be totally evil, since one's subservients need to want to serve, however he also knows that they should fear you.

And not all his children are evil, Tyrion is perhaps the most likable character in the books once he breaks free of his family and even Jaime shows he has honor. Only Cersei is really evil.

I really thought they did a great job on the Shadow Child, though I was rather disappointed by the new Mountain, I thought the last one, the Aussie actor, far more suited. The new guy didn't seem to have the muscle you expect. Maybe he'll better suit Gregorstein.

Agreed on the new Gregor; and it's not a case of being an Aussie either, he just didn't have the same screen presence. Heck, if I didn't hear them calling him the mountain, I would've assumed he was just a sergeant or something.

Dunno what the sudden extra Joff hate is about. He's sending his uncle a message, just as everyone is sending everyone else a message.

I love this series! Can't get enough. I'm watching it weekly on NZ Sky TV in HD. Something to look forward. Now "The Walking Dead" season two has finished.

I really want Daenerys Dragons to grow up quickly and start messing shit up. Also I want the White Walkers to make an appearance in the Far North. It's too long brooding evil presences.

Dunno what the sudden extra Joff hate is about. He's sending his uncle a message, just as everyone is sending everyone else a message.

Because in the book very little is discussed about his sexuality. Infact, Joff is rarely ever mentioned in the second book. But that's the thing about adapting book to film, you have to adapt the character some how. So far they're doing an excellent job. To be honest, I found that scene with Joff and the whores a little hard to watch, but I respect the balls HBO have for putting that on TV.

Interestingly enough, Sansa in the book cops it far worse than what she did in that episode.

Edited by MrFriendly

Is Joff beating the girls because it's a turn on, and puts all of his other shitheaded beatings into a different perspective, tho?

Or is he beating them to send an intellectual message that he's not to be fucked with by his family?

He did get little to no real face time in the books, so I'm glad they're fleshing out the character a bit, even if it's a little one dimensional still.

Is Joff beating the girls because it's a turn on, and puts all of his other shitheaded beatings into a different perspective, tho?

Or is he beating them to send an intellectual message that he's not to be fucked with by his family?

He did get little to no real face time in the books, so I'm glad they're fleshing out the character a bit, even if it's a little one dimensional still.

I think the beatings are to demonstrate that the power of being king has already corrupted a boy who was before just a spoilt shit of a teen.

He wasn't even deriving sexual pleasure from making one whore beat the shit out of the other, he just enjoyed the fact that he could make them do that while teaching Tyrion not make any assumptions.

Some of the truely evil shit that Joff got up to doesn't come to light until after he's dead. I guess they're trying to show what he's capable of now rather than later. And then there's his defiance of Tywin just before his death and Cersei's obvious inability to control him, again, all stuff you don't learn till much later than where the show is at

Edited by MrFriendly

I'm not sure if its because I saw series one before I read the books, but I feel that most of my hatred for Joff comes from how his portrayed in the series, that constant scowl Gleeson wheres just makes you want to slap him silly. In the books I just about feel sorry for him, being the victim of an over bearing power hungry matriarch.

Suspicions for the season finale:

* We'll find out about the plot to get rid of the Lord Commander

* Davos' survival--rather than the, oh, he fell into the water

* Jamie will be cut loose

* Possibly meeting Mance

* Find out, almost for sure, that Tyrion's lost his gig as the temp Hand and that he doesn't get Papa Tywin's love and praise

Edited by Saponification

I'm not sure if its because I saw series one before I read the books, but I feel that most of my hatred for Joff comes from how his portrayed in the series, that constant scowl Gleeson wheres just makes you want to slap him silly. In the books I just about feel sorry for him, being the victim of an over bearing power hungry matriarch.

I did the same, season one in 1080 and then the 5 novels. I hate him because he is a cunt, pure and simple, both in the books and on screen.

All hail the queen of thorns.

Werd.

I like how they're not playing Marge as some innocent little girl from the start.

kind of curious how they're going to play out the Baelish arc if he's not already off at the Aerie.

Edited by Nich...

Werd.

I like how they're not playing Marge as some innocent little girl from the start.

kind of curious how they're going to play out the Baelish arc if he's not already off at the Aerie.

if memory serves, he go didn't to the Aerie until after the battle of kings landing, so he still has time.

Werd.

if memory serves, he go didn't to the Aerie until after the battle of kings landing, so he still has time.

Baelish is actually the man who sets up the Tyrell / Lannister alliance, he is rewarded with Harenhaal for his efforts, so it makes perfect sense to have him where he is.

In the almost-year since reading the early books, apparently I remember almost none of it.

I did remembered that, Bedlam, but alas my reply was written in haste at work.

I'm currently reading A Dance With Dragons now. It's weird reading a book where you mostly know what happens, just from the different POV of other characters. I must say, it will be nice not having to read Sam's pussy bullshit for a while.

Episode 5 and we're mid way through. What is bothering is the way the adventures at Winterfell are traveling. Both the Reeds and Ramsay should have showed up by now, how is Osha gonna play the Reeds' role when Brandon and Rikkon split up (unless they don't split them up) and how are they going to play out the Ramsay / Reek / Theon story line, perhaps the most important in Dance, if they don't introduce Reek before Theon takes Winterfell?

Two comments: my wife says - this is just a thinly altered borrow of The Tudors with a few additions, and the voice coaching for the all the Aussie actors is pretty decent until they say Throne as in "I will sit on the Iron Thrown...". The moment anyone says Throne as Thrown with a high glutal stop - they may as well say gaddafootiesatdie or stone the bloody crows - wrecks the illusion for us as we chuckle!

Edited by g__day

Only up to S02E04 but they are doing an awesome job of making the boy king look like a complete and sadistic cunt.

Edited by iamthemaxx