BeDLaM#29

Game of Thrones Season 2 discussion (spoilers)

Had a co-worker ask me about Game of Thrones today. He wanted me to explain an episode.

I told him, "If you need someone to explain a movie or series for you, you shouldn't be watching it"

:-\

For some reason this slackening of production values/budgetary issues is annoying me more than some of the changes they're making. Some of them make life simpler when excising large tracts of plot, like Arya's time at Harrenhal. Some reek of George Lucas, like Greedo stealing the dragons.

Most of the plot changes make sense. The Harrenhal stuff is interesting, though I would've liked to meet the Brave Companions.

And stealing the dragons makes sense. The mental harrowing that Dany undergoes in the House of the Undying is not going to translate well to the screen, so they need to give her a reason to burn the place and run from Qarth. Stealing the dragons seems like the obvious one.

I'm also inclined to think they have to split up Bran and Rickon, as Rickon's time with Osha is likely to change him in a way that is likely to be important to the future plots. I expect to see a wildling Rickon return to Winterfell. For this reason I'm thinking that Bran is going to head north with Hodor whilst Osha takes Rickon to Skagos, maybe Bran will meet the Reeds yet.

maybe Bran will meet the Reeds yet.

Yeah, there still is time to introduce them in any number of places yet.

Dany better going into the House of the Undying, she sees the Red Wedding!

I was reading something about Rickon maybe being on Skagos the other night. Was there something in the books about it that I missed?

I was reading something about Rickon maybe being on Skagos the other night. Was there something in the books about it that I missed?

Yeah, I haven't finished A Dance with Dragons but there's a bit where Lord Manderly fake kills Davos and tells Davos that Rickon is still alive and to go get him so that he can fuck up Rayman's claim to Winterfell by marrying fake Arya. Can't remember if Rickon was hanging out on Skagos though.

When Wex shows Davos where Rickon went, he says it is a place that they break their fast on human flesh, and in Jon's dream of Shaggy Dog he sees a single-horned goat. Also Sam sees the wreck of a galley on the shores of Skagos on his way to Braavos.

In this paragraph from AFFC it's stated that cannibalism and unicorns are symbols of Skagos:

"The island sat at the mouth of the Bay of Seals, massive and mountainous, a stark and forbidding land, peopled by savages.They lived in caves and grim mountain fastnesses, Sam had read, and rode great shaggy unicorns to war.Skagos meant "stone" in the Old Tongue.The Skagosi named themselvesthe stoneborn, but their fellow northmen call them Skaggs and liked them little. Only a hundred years ago Skagos had risen in rebellion. Their revolt had taken years to quell and claimed the life of the Lord of Winterfell and hundreds of his sworn swords. Some songs said the Skaggs were cannibals; supposedly their warriors ate the hearts and livers of the men they slew.In ancient days, the Skagosi had sailed to the nearby isle of Skane, seized its women, slaughtered its men, and ate them on a pebbled beach in a feast that lasted for a fortnight. Skane remained unpeopled to this day."

Edited by BeDLaM#29

Thanks, I remember seeing the thing about a shipwreck but hadn't pieced the rest of it together.

I agree with alot of what others are saying, it is concerning that they leave out the reeds.

Edited by drago13666

i am not enjoying the second season quite as much this time around. i put that down to the pace slowing down and there being less new characters and discoveries each episode.

i'm increasingly frustrated by a need to know more about the geopolitical fabric of the realm and whose fingers are in whose pies. sometimes there seems to be an inexhaustible amount of greater and lesser houses and their bannermen.

still in love with it though.

This weeks episode did seem to only run for 10 minutes, they must be doing something right.

Do you have sheep at the wall, then?

Gotta say, I think the story would have been potentially more interesting if Tywin had recognised Arya at Harrenhal and taken her as a ward and groomed her for leadership.

Looks like Jamie's story will end with him losing his hand. And I reckon Jon will meet Mance.

Edited by Saponification

If he loses his hand now, it's going to be all kinds of awkward with no Qyburn to mend it and thus no Qyburn in later seasons.

There can be no Brave Companions and hence no Qyburn. Vargo Hoat needs a bear (what else will Jaime thlew?), and a bear needs a meal, and Jaquin Hagar killed Armory Lorch. Hence, no Qyburn, though they'll need someone to play Dr Gregorstein.

It's also possible for Vargo to just have a bear already (his pet Rancor, pretty much) and to feed some red shirt to it. Jamie doesn't do enough for them to cut out the part where he and Brienne get caught and Jamie loses his hand but eventually comes back to save Brienne. They've played fast and loose with so many things that I'm sure they can work around this issue without needing to introduce a whole lot of minor characters. The show runners have already said they can't afford to cast someone and then just pay them to sit around doing mostly nothing until they become important a season or two down the road. We're hearing enough about the Brave Companions--Tywin mentions they're a threat in the most recent episode--in dialogue that we're bound to meet them soon enough. Like in, say, episode ten when they deprive Jamie of a hand.

Did the magicians kill the leaders of qarth in the book as they did in last nights episode? I don't remeber that bit.

The episode last night jumped around a little too much, for my taste.

It seemed a little silly to have Jamie escape and get captured again so quickly.

They are making daenerys look like a silly little girl and taking away alot of her self assurance.

And don't get me started on Jon Snow, Ygritte is well cast but it has completly changed Jon's character having him go off to the wildlings like that, now he can't kill the other guy so I don't know how he is going to show loyalty, I'm also worried that they are leaving out ghost too much, its too late for him to have the warg dream

It amuses me that the most attrctive people in the show are wildlings.

Oh and has anyone else noticed that the hounds scar keeps moving?

I think that for season three they should film the entire season in one go, try and stop some of these inconsistencies popping up and it means they could have actors for the first and last episodes without having them on retainer for the entire season.

Tywin mentions the Brotherhood without Banners, not the Brave Companions. Other than the early appearance of Rorge and Biter, none of the Brave Companions have been mentioned that I recall. I'm thinking that just Vargo Hoat and Qyburn (with perhaps Rorge and Biter) will show up to take Jaime and Brienne prisoner. Though I don't expect that until the next series.

Jaime escaped and was recaptured in the novels as wel, and I think they were just establishing the Karstark hatred of the Kingslayer to make sense of Robb beheading Richard just before the Red Wedding, though I don't know why that was such an important plot point when Edmure's slowing down of Tywin's forces crossing the Riverlands has been completely disregarded. Hoster Tully's illness also seems to be unimportant to the plot, and Tyrion has yet to command all Smiths to make the grand chain, which is instrumental to his strategy at the Blackwater.

I'm also somewhat concerned about how Jon has been taken by the Wildlings, though I fully expect the Halfhand to free him in the next episode, ordering Jon to kill him and defect to Mance Raydar as a double agent.

They are making daenerys look like a silly little girl and taking away alot of her self assurance.

It's like you haven't read the most recent book.

And don't get me started on Jon Snow, Ygritte is well cast but it has completly changed Jon's character having him go off to the wildlings like that, now he can't kill the other guy so I don't know how he is going to show loyalty

Think about it. Why would they introduce the half hand if he's going to get 2 scenes?

Tywin mentions the Brotherhood without Banners, not the Brave Companions. Other than the early appearance of Rorge and Biter, none of the Brave Companions have been mentioned that I recall. I'm thinking that just Vargo Hoat and Qyburn (with perhaps Rorge and Biter) will show up to take Jaime and Brienne prisoner. Though I don't expect that until the next series.

That'd make the most sense, by the time Bolton takes Harrenhal (if he does at all in the show) Edited by Nich...

Fark! the ending of the latest episode was bloody grisly. My heart sank.

Fark! the ending of the latest episode was bloody grisly. My heart sank.

Haven't seen it yet. The last Borgias episode ended the same way by the sounds of it.