BeDLaM#29

Game of Thrones Season 2 discussion (spoilers)

Fark! the ending of the latest episode was bloody grisly. My heart sank.

Are you talking about the two farm boys being flayed and then burnt? Then hung up to fool people into believing Bran and Rickon Stark had been killed? Yeah, even Theon look disgusted.

Are you talking about the two farm boys being flayed and then burnt? Then hung up to fool people into believing Bran and Rickon Stark had been killed? Yeah, even Theon look disgusted.

Nice book spoiler there for talk of the TV series

Ah, bro, we've been doing that through the entire thread, that's why they're in spoiler tags.

Just sayin.

LOL, I personally don't mind spoilers. Make me want to see it / read it even more...

Edited by Genders

Ah, bro, we've been doing that through the entire thread, that's why they're in spoiler tags.

Just sayin.

It's in the title too "for those that have read the books"

yeah.

and i will never understand why you started such a problematic SNAFU of a thread only a week out from the premiere.

totally within your rights of course. but it wasnt hard to anticipate what would (and has) transpired:

the effective stifling of any general discussion of Season 2 inclusive of ALL fans of the series whether or not they have read the books.

there is no reason why any of this 'exclusive' discussion couldnt have simply been appended to the pre-existing (and very un-broken) thread, within appropriate tags.

my thanks to those (including yourself) who've started to use spoiler tags more frequently as this thread has increasingly become the reluctant surrogate funnel for general discussion.

but despite these efforts, given the title, the sub-title, and the many naked spoilers in the opening pages, this thread remains a spoiler-laden minefield. hooray!

Edited by @~thehung

Yeah that was what I was talking about (and I haven't read the books but I guessed what you said before I read your post - that the 2 kids were the farm kids i mean - but I thought it was more as a warning to people helping the runaways rather than to pretend it was Brand and the wildlings.) :) I'm not too fussed about spoilers for this show cause it is just so epic and there is so much going on.

I haven't had that feeling for a long time, but that was seriously f'd up. Literally felt my heart drop in my chest.

Edited by martyr

yeah.

and i will never understand why you started such a problematic SNAFU of a thread only a week out from the premiere.

totally within your rights of course. but it wasnt hard to anticipate what would (and has) transpired:

the effective stifling of any general discussion of Season 2 inclusive of ALL fans of the series whether or not they have read the books.

there is no reason why any of this 'exclusive' discussion couldnt have simply been appended to the pre-existing (and very un-broken) thread, within appropriate tags.

my thanks to those (including yourself) who've started to use spoiler tags more frequently as this thread has increasingly become the reluctant surrogate funnel for general discussion.

but despite these efforts, given the title, the sub-title, and the many naked spoilers in the opening pages, this thread remains a spoiler-laden minefield. hooray!

Point taken. I guess I knew there were a few others like me who had read the books.

And as for the old thread, I took a bit of a sabbatical from Atomic for a while, and wasn't aware of its existence.

If people feel it would be better, resurrect the old thread and I'll gladly move my commentaries there (with appropriate spoiler tags)

Edited by BeDLaM#29

It's been interesting discussing with others who've read the books because it's fascinating watching how reputable studio transforms these epic books into screen. For me, it really does enforce that the different media all have their great strengths and weaknesses.

Though, after the last episode the books seem to have largely gone out the window. Not a bad thing, it keeps me interested to see where the series is going. It's just that seasons one was so faithful, almost word for word.

Joffers is gonna run like a little scaredy girl as soon as the fighting starts.

Bar from the characters introduced in series 1, barely any of Clash of Kings remains. I guess they've still remained faithful to the overall themes of the book, but no Reeds, no Reek, no Brave Companions, no Jayne Westerling, no Tullys, no chain and no Weasel soup has this all just about looking like a different story. I can understand budgetary constraints has forced changes, but I can't help but think that because the first series attracted so many to the books, they've changed things up just to keep people on their toes. I mean all the changes in Qarth would have hardly saved them in regards to budget.

There's an interesting interview here, about the next episode, the one that was always gonna make or break this series, Blackwater.

Reek is coming next week, you don't pay attention.

Ramsay is coming. Why would he have to bother with Reek when he's been invited?

Up up to episode 8. Episode 9 is looking great.

Having not read the books I like the serious immensely. I've wanted to see a decent action / drama set in this setting and genre for a long time.

The last series of books I read about fantasy was the Inheritance Cycle. OK, it's a for a younger audience and seems to borrow heavily from a "Star Wars" type store line. I really enjoyed the books, but the movie, the movie sucked major balls.

I'm considering getting into these books. And maybe the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Is there any other decent fantasy novelists out there? I like the grimy dirty shady back stabbing evil sort of fantasy stuff. Nothing all high and mighty and riding to the rescue type.

Having not read the books I like the serious immensely. I've wanted to see a decent action / drama set in this setting and genre for a long time.

The last series of books I read about fantasy was the Inheritance Cycle. OK, it's a for a younger audience and seems to borrow heavily from a "Star Wars" type store line. I really enjoyed the books, but the movie, the movie sucked major balls.

I'm considering getting into these books. And maybe the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Is there any other decent fantasy novelists out there? I like the grimy dirty shady back stabbing evil sort of fantasy stuff. Nothing all high and mighty and riding to the rescue type.

Definately read the books. The best series I've ever read (not just fantasy).

If I jumped into the third book, which is split over two books part 1 / 2, should I be OK? I've had a quick look at some in my local book store. The font is small and pages very thin. I can read very fast.

LOL, I picked up one last week, I think book four and read the back...D'oh, what has been read cannot be forgotten, I know the future...

If I jumped into the third book, which is split over two books part 1 / 2, should I be OK? I've had a quick look at some in my local book store. The font is small and pages very thin. I can read very fast.

LOL, I picked up one last week, I think book four and read the back...D'oh, what has been read cannot be forgotten, I know the future...

Seriously, I'd say at least read the second. Far too much changed in book 2 to the TV show.

Probably best if you read book 1 first. That being said, I didn't, and there is enough similarity with series one of the TV show that nothing confused me. I don't think if the same can be said about series 2 though .

Some of Dan Simmons stuff might do the trick. Try Illium and Olympos, and the Hyperion trilogy. (Though I guess they're more middle of the road rather than nasty back stabby stuff, for that you could try Donaldsons Gap series but that's SF and not fantasy.)

It's a brilliant series, but I finding it very hard to distance it from the books.

I like many others started reading the books because of the first seasons of the show, which is extremely close to the books. I kind of wish in some ways I didn't read the books, but, you know what, I still wait eagerly for each episode and that hour seems to fly past when they come out. It's a very good adaptation, and that's all it is folks, an adaptation.

It's funny how when GoT deviates from the books, people cry murder, but when Walking Dead does, people laud it for keeping it fresh.

It's funny how when GoT deviates from the books, people cry murder, but when Walking Dead does, people laud it for keeping it fresh.

And you know what else the Walking Dead does?

Your mum.

At least that's what she feels like....

In bed.

Yeah I'm drunk.....