Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
BeDLaM#29

Game of Thrones Season 2 discussion (spoilers)

I dunno, I read that originally the battle was meant to be a lot less epic, but they went begging to HBO and received more money. Less epic as in, I think none of the actual battle on the water, lots of closeups focusing on the King and etc inside the Keep.

It did seem kind of small, but it struck me as a small battle in the book. King's Landing had a skeleton force and the main of Stannis' was wiped out by the wildfire with the remaining unable to get through the firestorm. What was missing was the intensity of the firestorm at the gates.

They should have also showed the Lannister / Tyrell forces taking the remainder of Stannis' forces from behind, with Loras in Renly's armour.

And where were the helms? At one point some of Tyrion's forces put on half helms, but surely the Hound should have marched out with his Hound helm on.

Overall I think they did well portraying the craziness of the battle, with Tyrion offering the only point of sanity for the gold cloaks, just as in the book.

I would've also liked to meet Pod a bit earlier, but the cut at Tyrion, coming out of nowhere, and Pod striking out without even thinking, was done so well and looked freakishly real.

Overall I thought this episode was most like the books, no surprise it was the best of the series and the one written by GRRM.

Edited by BeDLaM#29

Finally, a fucking great episode.

Was a bit hard to follow though, I didn't know what troops were who most of the time. When Tyrion got cut, what was up with that? Wasn't it one of the King's gold cloak guys?

The fire was fucking awesome, I guess they've been saving up their money over the last few episodes where nothing much happened.

When Tyrion got cut, what was up with that? Wasn't it one of the King's gold cloak guys?

As in the book, Cersei paid to have him murdered (though in the book it was for kidnapping Tommen, in the series her pet beef seems to be Tyrion sending Myrcella to Dorne)

Finally, a fucking great episode.

Was a bit hard to follow though, I didn't know what troops were who most of the time. When Tyrion got cut, what was up with that? Wasn't it one of the King's gold cloak guys?

The fire was fucking awesome, I guess they've been saving up their money over the last few episodes where nothing much happened.

In the time Tyrion has been in the castle, he had insulted the Gold Cloaks, the King and his Sister. Many times.

When you insult anyone back then, expect a knife in your back.....

i have mixed feelings about the last ep.

very cool content-wise.

not so great production-wise.

one of the things ive loved about it up until now was never noticing obvious compromises due to the small screen. oh sure, theyve always left out some of the things you'd expect of a full blown feature, but what's been presented has faultlessly maintained filmesque grandeur. but...not so much with the recent battle scenes. the very tightly constrained shots i can understand. but i am less forgiving of the dodgy CGI on the initial explosion, and most of all, a noticeable sloppiness about the execution. i wouldnt even notice if these things if the rest of the show wasnt so far above par. but thats what happens with a bar set so high...

Brienne and dire wolves changing size noticeably between scenes didn't make you expect some CGI quirks and foibles? :p

Little disappointed in the final episode.

The whole Qarth thing was very anticlimactic, they spent so long setting it up that you'd expect they could've put a little more into it. The predictions of the Red Wedding and Aegon that were in the book maybe.

Winterfell was very ambiguous, they gave no hint of how or why it was burnt and we still haven't met Ramsay.

Arya's part would've been much better had she met the Brotherhood, and Jaime/Brienne would've been better had they met the Companions. Still I can understand why they didn't want to introduce new characters on the last ep of the series.

The stuff beyond the wall was good though. Jon and Halfhand was handled well and the Others redeemed the whole episode.

Yeah, little pissed about no hint of the Red Wedding.

Oh well, we shall all chat on this again next year!

TBH I was half expecting Arya to go off to Braavos there and then, and skip the wandering bit : \

Finished episode 10

Public Service Announcement: Fuck this, time to start reading the books!

//Buys book one on Kindle!

I think if you get disappointed by novel translations then the issues lie within your own relationship expectations.

I think if you get disappointed by novel translations then the issues lie within your own relationship expectations.

True, however they did build up those expectations by doing such a great job in series 1.

Still the best show on TV though

I liked the final episode, but not explaining about winterfall being burnt is bad scripting they should have.

It makes sense, tho', cutting the 'hint' regarding the Red Wedding. On screen I suspect that it'd be too bloody obvious what the 'hint' was getting at and would ruin the surprise. I think they've made up for it by having Catelyn warn Robb, numerous times, about upsetting Walder Frey and breaking oaths.

The Winterfell thing was interesting. My girlfriend, who hasn't read the books, just assumed the fire was set by the Ironborn. Maybe the cause of the fire was left intentionally vague--perhaps early in season three we'll catch up with Theon again (I know, I know, the books ... but they're not going to fuck him off for 2-3 seasons). And, given the lack of Karstark execution, too, I suspect Robb losing a lot his support will form a central plot point for season three ... one that'll lead nicely into the Red Wedding. I mean, it's not like he has much else to do between now--getting married to Jeyne/not-Jeyne--and then (i.e. becoming a cockentrice). I wonder if we'll get both Weddings in season three, as much as the showrunners have said something about one wedding per season (surely they can't drag out Joffrey's engagement for two years--this isn't Lost). Having finished Storm of Swords only recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they got one and a half seasons of television out of it, as opposed to two complete seasons.

Keen to see Mance and Vargo.

Edited by Saponification

Never read the books (and probably won't, more due to a lack of time than any expectation that I wouldn't like them; I'm sure I'd love them), but when I watched it, and saw the burnt remnants of Winterfell I felt at the time that it had been left deliberately vague, so the cause could be revealed in s3, so the viewer's somewhat like the characters seeing it, not knowing who did it.

Phew! Finally watched the last ep.

Liked the last 2 eps of the season the most. Very much liked the White Walkers at the end, can't wait til season 3 (haven't read the books either).

They could at least make Rhaego have white/silver hair :\

Dominant genes bitches.

Let the commoner reign supreme!!

SPOILERS & QUESTIONS

Last two episodes were great. I've not read the books, but as a TV series - I've enjoyed it so far. The second series was a bit dull in the middle, though it's picked up to the end.

Jaqen H'ghar was / is a bad ass. I'd like to see more of him. Reckon he comes back in the third season?

JWho burnt Winter Fell? Was it the retreating Iron Born troops or did Ramsay Snow burn it down? If is was Ramsay Snow, is he acting on orders of his father? Breaking away from House Stark?

Why the hell hasn't Sansa left Kings Landing with Sandor Clegane? Has he left now and become an outlaw after telling Joffrey to go fuck himself?

I'm assuming Benjen Stark is Mance Rayder? Well, that's my guess at it. He's been gone since the first series and "disappeared" after a patrol beyond the wall?

From the North are we more in fear of the White Walkers or the King Beyond the Wall? Mance seems to have a pretty big settlement, though when the White Walkers turned up at the end of the episode there were a lot of Wildings wearing the white cloaks. Saw some Nights Watch as well

The Stark children wandering around all over Westeros looking for each other is starting to getting annoying / frustrating...hurray up and find each other...

I'm supporting Daenerys Targaryen, Danny, I'm looking forward to her coming into more power in the third series. I really want to see her fucking shit up with her dragons

The Stark children wandering around all over Westeros looking for each other is starting to getting annoying / frustrating...hurray up and find each other...

*Ambiguous Double Spoiler*

South Park ski instructor...

*/Ambiguous Double Spoiler*

Edited by Periander

SPOILERS & QUESTIONS

Last two episodes were great. I've not read the books, but as a TV series - I've enjoyed it so far. The second series was a bit dull in the middle, though it's picked up to the end.

Jaqen H'ghar was / is a bad ass. I'd like to see more of him. Reckon he comes back in the third season?

If they follow the books, only very briefly. We do get more of the faceless men but probably not for another season or two

JWho burnt Winter Fell? Was it the retreating Iron Born troops or did Ramsay Snow burn it down? If is was Ramsay Snow, is he acting on orders of his father? Breaking away from House Stark?

You got it at the latter. The Bolton's have long bickered with the Starks

Why the hell hasn't Sansa left Kings Landing with Sandor Clegane? Because she is shit scared of the Hound

Has he left now and become an outlaw after telling Joffrey to go fuck himself? Yes

I'm assuming Benjen Stark is Mance Rayder? Well, that's my guess at it. He's been gone since the first series and "disappeared" after a patrol beyond the wall?

He did dissapear didn't he

From the North are we more in fear of the White Walkers or the King Beyond the Wall? Mance seems to have a pretty big settlement, though when the White Walkers turned up at the end of the episode there were a lot of Wildings wearing the white cloaks. Saw some Nights Watch as well

I'll take on a thousand wildlings led by ten Kings beyond the Wall before I'd go up against a single White Walker

It is going to get alot more frustrating yet

I'm supporting Daenerys Targaryen, Danny, I'm looking forward to her coming into more power in the third series. I really want to see her fucking shit up with her dragons

Don't hold your breath