Sign in to follow this  
bippy2412

First Time Builder Troubles

which is only 60gb not big enough for much by itself and if its to be used as a cache would be best used with a drive like this

ST2000DM001 7200rpm 2x1tb platters providing up to ~180m read speeds

Those were the drives I recommended in the first place :P

But, if he is running his SRT cache in 'maximized' write-back mode, then the HDDs he has a pretty much immaterial. Either SRT works or it doesn't.

Granted, the first run will be a little slower, but after that it will just be SSD speed.

And with a 60GB SSD, not a lot of things are going to get kicked out of cache, unless he loads ten different games in a row.

from my experience with running a cache id say hdd speed still makes a fair difference to game load times but then i swap between a dozen games many ~15-20g each fairly frequently and windows itself will be taking a fair chunk of that cache but despite that the cache is still worth it vs spending a few k on 1tb of ssd

from my experience with running a cache id say hdd speed still makes a fair difference to game load times but then i swap between a dozen games many ~15-20g each fairly frequently and windows itself will be taking a fair chunk of that cache but despite that the cache is still worth it vs spending a few k on 1tb of ssd

What size SSD were you using as a cache?

Were you running in write-back mode?

using ocz 128g synapse which is a 60g cache and uses dataplex software which gives you no choice it just runs at full write speed's then has recovery features if things go wrong

i simply found it to be a bit quicker after disabling the software defraging the hdd as it was in a bad way before re enabling the cache

i have also seen benchmarks with people running multiple hdd in raid0 with a cache drive and the performance does improve a fair bit

but then write speeds dont bother me so much mostly just read speed for loading games and windows itself cares more about seek times than read\write speeds it seems

Edited by Dasa

using ocz 128g synapse which is a 60g cache and uses dataplex software which gives you no choice it just runs at full write speed's then has recovery features if things go wrong

i simply found it to be a bit quicker after disabling the software defraging the hdd as it was in a bad way before re enabling the cache

i have also seen benchmarks with people running multiple hdd in raid0 with a cache drive and the performance does improve a fair bit

but then write speeds dont bother me so much mostly just read speed for loading games and windows itself cares more about seek times than read\write speeds it seems

Have you seen any reviews comparing dataplex to SRT?

I'm sceptical anyone would be able to notice much difference outside of benchmarks. If in use, the difference is 3-5 seconds of load time for the first run, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for most people to manage it manually.

I'm running an old 60G G.Skill Falcon, and I've been tempted to replace it with a new gen SSD. But I've held off, because I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

If I was putting a computer together now, I think I would go for a 120GB drive, partition 20-30gb off as a cache for the spindle drives, and leave the remainder as my C:, but then I don't install a lot of games or programs, and have been perfectly happy with my 60G

truble with current cache setups is

they only work on the windows drive

that drive must be under 2tb total

cache size is a max of 64g

Whoops! I was actually meant to select the drives MisterK suggested.. Geuss I clicked the wrong one :o

And about the 7970 being noisy when oc'd is there quieter one I could use?

Whoops! I was actually meant to select the drives MisterK suggested.. Geuss I clicked the wrong one :o

ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCU II TOP 3GB $689 runs cool & very quiet but then it would want to its not cheap and its huge taking up three slots

How about the XFX HD7970 Black Edition? Its just as good according to reviews by Atomic and others, only takes 2 slots and is a bit cheaper..

Edited by cohmoddersolo

Hmm ok.. Is it worth loosing three slots and the price though?

depends how much you value silence

but if your intending to get two cards i would stick with the reference ones as they exhaust the heat

Noise isn't that bad I Geuss I can always drown it out with

The Sony 7.2 home theatre that's goin on it xD.. That reminds me should I add a decent sound card in there?

It will only be noisy when under load, at idle is will be near silent.

It will only be under load when you are playing a game.

Noisy is relative.

I would be willing to spend $40-$50 on a cooler above and beyond the price of a generic card, if the cooler is a good one.

For me a good one is one that is very quiet all the time. Even at load, whilst overclocked.

GTX680 is a bit quieter than the 7970, uses less power under load, roughly the same price and better performance at most things to.

GTX680 is a bit quieter than the 7970, uses less power under load, roughly the same price and better performance at most things to.

Fanboi :p

Fanboi :p

Im proud of it.

Ok guys after a couple days of changing things around and what not i've finally decided on the final build that i'm going to use i'm not going to change it anymore hopefully unless someone has really good reason as to why i shouldn't go with something in this build. I did end up changing the gpu to a GTX680 after watching a few benchmark videos against the 7970 and i changed the HDD to a 7200rpm drive so hopefully i didn't have to change anything else on this build and i can go ahead and purchase. woohoo so here it is

CPU: Intel Quad Core i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155 CPU - $207.91

Mobo: MB1155ARZ68EXTREME4GEN3 - $165.00

RAM: G.Skill DDR3-2133 8GB Dual Channel [RipjawsX] F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM - $87

PSU: Corsair 850W AX-850 ATX Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified, 100% Modular Cabling - $245.00

GPU: Asus ENGTX680-2GD5 GF GTX680 PCI-E 3.0, 2GB 256-bit DDR5, Base: 1006 boost: 1058 / 6008 MHz, 2x -DVI, HDMI, DP, Fan - $694.53

SSD: intel SSDSC2CW060A3K5 SSD 60GB 520 Series, 2.5" SATA III 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC, read/write speed 550/475MB/s 80K IOPS - $118.97

HDD: 2x Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 2TB,7200RPM,SATA3,6GB/S, 3.5", 64MB - $258.42 ($129.16 EA)

Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 High-performance CPU Cooler, 2011/1366/1156/1155/775 and AM3/AM2 compatible - $151.99

Case: NZXT PHANTOM WHITE FULL TOWER USB3.0 W/O PSU - $179.00

Monitor: YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 SE 27" LED 2560X1440 WQHD DVI-D Dual Computer Monitor - $350.00ish

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM - $125.00

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K90. Performance, MMO, Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Cherry MX Red key switches, 18 customizable G-Keys 15/3 - $159.00

Total: $2'741.82

-Bippy2412

Monitor: YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 SE 27" LED 2560X1440 WQHD DVI-D Dual Computer Monitor - $350.00ish

Are you sure about this monitor? I know they use LG panels, but have you read their policy on dead pixels? Seems a little sus. And how would you go actually sending it back for warranty. I know its free shipping here. But it would be quite pricey to send back on the off chance you are unlucky enough to get a panel with faults.

Just saying.

Are you sure about this monitor? I know they use LG panels, but have you read their policy on dead pixels? Seems a little sus. And how would you go actually sending it back for warranty. I know its free shipping here. But it would be quite pricey to send back on the off chance you are unlucky enough to get a panel with faults.

Just saying.

i thought about such things myself.. i have been having second thoughts about the monitor because of these things and also i've never heard of them untill the other day which also worries me

so i'm not sure if i'll risk it or go with another brand that i know like the samsung i was originally going with.. not sure yet i might have a look at some other monitors tonight and see how i go

-Bippy2412

Can you afford a Dell U2711? I can probably get you 15% off one if you like? seriously theres no other screen (apart from the bigger U3011) that comes close to it.

Edited by nesquick

Can you afford a Dell U2711? I can probably get you 15% off one if you like? seriously theres no other screen (apart from the bigger U3011) that comes close to it.

yea the U2711 will fit into my budget, I just had a look it's pretty nice, If i go with the dell instead of the samsung 15% off would be great Edited by bippy2412

Have a look at the Samsung 27" LED - the 120hz one

Its expensive but having seen one of these up close irl I am saving like a mad person - fucking gorgeous doesn't do it justice, if you can live with a slightly high ppi

And if you play anything that isn't BF3 etc competitively a 120hz is a must buy - every top level 1.6, source and TF2 player I know that has used one swears by them.

lol competitive TF2 players

Bippy this was the best coupon I could find, if your a member of any of the automobile clubs in australia you can go here http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/top...&lid=831286 and get 15% off monitors or you could probably just use someone elses card

Alternatively the dell reps in the dell stands give great prices and the ones on the phone if you can speak engrish they will usually happily match any coupon cause they get commission for the sale I assume.

Good build, but I cringe seeing that H100 costing $159.

You can get real watercooling which is cheaper, more effective and looks better. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16536

Or $6 for a better rad. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16619

With those kits you also have the ability to upgrade and can add a gpu to the loop.