Morgoth

Z77 boards in stock!

there's no improvement over a Z68 Generation 3 mobo that I can see......have I missed something?

the biggest improvements are probably to usb3 and support for higher memory speeds with ivy

not worth upgrading to from z68 imo unless you really hate your z68 mb

there's no improvement over a Z68 Generation 3 mobo that I can see......have I missed something?

the biggest improvements are probably to usb3 and support for higher memory speeds with ivy

not worth upgrading to from z68 imo unless you really hate your z68 mb

exactly what I had surmised from what reviews I've read - thanks

I don't want to get rid of this mobo, I really like it - mind you, if I was still running the asus, or gigabyte boards that I'd had prior, it'd be a different story, I wasn't happy with either

at the moment, asrock are manufacturing great boards in my opinion - comparatively cheap, too

I might consider a CPU upgrade tho - the 2500K I have now isn't a great overclocker

Z68 is perfectly fine.

I upgraded due to flakey USB ports on my current mobo and it was easier seeing as i was on P67 and Z77 will give me a few more options like using the inbuilt graphics and quicksync.

My money was going to a 240GB Intel 520 SSD, but i just got so sick of my USB devices crapping out all the time, so the motherboard seemed like a good idea. Definately stay with Z68 unless, like Dasa said you need to move onto a new board for some reason.

With that being said my Z77 is in town, just waiting for the SMS to go pick it up =D

Edited by smakme7757

Sabertooth is extremely nice. Those extra fans are super quiet. You can't even hear them. It's a dream to run!

Tems are looking good!

Posted Image

Ok i did a test - With and without the extra fans.

With fans:

Posted Image

Without fans:

Posted Image

That 2nd picture was taken about 10 minutes later

So they certainly do help.

Edited by smakme7757

That's awesome smakme, might modify my upgrade and grab a Sabertooth instead.

There is no question that Intel Quicksync is a fantastic feature to have. I've been encoding videos on my laptop because it's so fast. Now with Lucid Virtue on the Sabertooth i can use quicksync as well. Awesome feature.

It's worth mentioning though that Arcsoft Media Converter didn't use either Cuda or Quicksync on my desktop. I just wouldn't use any hardware acceleration (It worked fine on my laptop). So i got Cyberlink Media Converter 6.5. Works like a charm. Turn off Lucid Virtue and it uses Cuda, turn it on then it will use Quick Sync. Great product - No more Arcsoft junk for me!

This board really has impressed me. I know most of the features have been available for a whiel on Z68, but damn thse features are nice to have!

Dunno if it has been said yet or not, but a lot of the Gigabyte boards no longer use Realtek for anything. The Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H has Ateros for LAN, and VIA for audio

They are actually mostly Intel LAN now, there are Atheros chips also on some boards, both much better than before :)