xnatex

We can now thank Karma that Steve Jobs is dead and apple can move on

Since the passing of the greedy narcissist Steve Jobs, Apples new CEO Tim Cook is trying to turn the tech tyrant company around.

Cooks is now trying to stop the disgusting litigation battles with every other tech company in the world, Despite jobs saying in his dying breath he wants to spend every cent that apple has to destroy android.

Cooks is now donating some of Apples mass wealth to charity, despite Jobs no charity donation rules.

Cooks is trying to improve the conditions of Apples Chinese sweat shop factory that Jobs created.

Cooks is now also giving dividends to share holders instead of keeping all the profits for his war chest against the tech world.

Who knows, If cooks keeps this up I may give Apple the time of day and give them the same respect as the other tech giants out there

Source:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Apple-Google-S...news-14645.html

The whole ''Android ripped off iOS'' argument gives me the shits, and shows just how caught up in his own mythology Steve Jobs had become.

Icon-based touch screen interfaces were around for decades before iOS popularised them. (I had a Palm device 10 years ago that looked like a tiny version of today's iPad.)

Any logical interface designed to run on a touch screen is going to end up having a grid of clickable icons and basic navigation buttons.

I hear ya on that, and shit like this was so unnecessary

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/...unlock-motorola

So was this.

Apple to sue Kodak in bankruptcy

Pretty sure the court told them jam it though, but still the fact that they tried is pretty scummy. So yeah if the new guy can turn things around in the ethics dept. it may get apple of my blacklist in the future. Of course I also want the flexibility to use the product as I want to use them *ahem* no itunes for e.g.

The only reason for Apple slowing down with the litigation ( which is arguable in itself) is that they want in on the exuberant licencing fees that Microsoft charge.

greedy? narcissistic? well if you had single-handedly invented computers and the internet you would probably be both as well.

greedy? narcissistic? well if you had single-handedly invented computers and the internet you would probably be both as well.

Wait, what?

Wait, what?

It's a trap!

now for flash support...

iPad73 - Now with FLASH support!!

So was this.

Apple to sue Kodak in bankruptcy

Pretty sure the court told them jam it though, but still the fact that they tried is pretty scummy. So yeah if the new guy can turn things around in the ethics dept. it may get apple of my blacklist in the future. Of course I also want the flexibility to use the product as I want to use them *ahem* no itunes for e.g.

Wow I didnt see that case, thats so bad

10/10

So Jobs wasn't just a dick, he was putting great effort into being extra dicky?

Far out.

This is amazingly good news then.

So Jobs wasn't just a dick, he was putting great effort into being extra dicky?

Far out.

This is amazingly good news then.

Yeah it is, I've only ever celebrated the death of a few people in my life, Osama bin laden and Steve jobs being the main two

Obvious troll is obvious.

Apparently the bridge is being renovated and the Atomic backpacker room was going cheap.

Since the passing of the greedy narcissist Steve Jobs, Apples new CEO Tim Cook is trying to turn the tech tyrant company around.

Cooks is now trying to stop the disgusting litigation battles with every other tech company in the world, Despite jobs saying in his dying breath he wants to spend every cent that apple has to destroy android.

Cooks is now donating some of Apples mass wealth to charity, despite Jobs no charity donation rules.

Cooks is trying to improve the conditions of Apples Chinese sweat shop factory that Jobs created.

Cooks is now also giving dividends to share holders instead of keeping all the profits for his war chest against the tech world.

Who knows, If cooks keeps this up I may give Apple the time of day and give them the same respect as the other tech giants out there

Source:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Apple-Google-S...news-14645.html

You know what? I was going to write a big response to your post. But it's not really worth it.

Let's just say I'd rather other tech companies "clean up after themselves" instead of sending toxic, horrible waste to India and China where they are scavenged not by trained employees but by impoverished children who probably relish the chance to get their daily cadmium dosage. Donating a few hundred million dollars is a nice *public* way to giving consumers a warm cuddly feeling. Eliminating dangerous chemicals, and paying for the breakdown of used-up products in first world countries in first world conditions, thereby not creating billions of dollars of economic, natural and medical damage to the third world, well, I think that's a pretty good idea.

All the tech you buy is "sweatshop".

Not paying dividends made sense at the time, and allowed apple the scope to position itself the way it has.

And patent wars? The point isn't a touch interface with icons, it's the entire (now ubiquitous) gesture system in us. Remember "touch screen" phones from pre 2007? I mean, in a world where every android phone pays microsoft money, it's kind of hard not to admit that the android devs nearly got neck injuries copying the iphone.

You know what? I was going to write a big response to your post. But it's not really worth it.

Let's just say I'd rather other tech companies "clean up after themselves" instead of sending toxic, horrible waste to India and China where they are scavenged not by trained employees but by impoverished children who probably relish the chance to get their daily cadmium dosage. Donating a few hundred million dollars is a nice *public* way to giving consumers a warm cuddly feeling. Eliminating dangerous chemicals, and paying for the breakdown of used-up products in first world countries in first world conditions, thereby not creating billions of dollars of economic, natural and medical damage to the third world, well, I think that's a pretty good idea.

All the tech you buy is "sweatshop".

Not paying dividends made sense at the time, and allowed apple the scope to position itself the way it has.

And patent wars? The point isn't a touch interface with icons, it's the entire (now ubiquitous) gesture system in us. Remember "touch screen" phones from pre 2007? I mean, in a world where every android phone pays microsoft money, it's kind of hard not to admit that the android devs nearly got neck injuries copying the iphone.

@~thehung already trolled this thread man, now you just look obnoxious.

'

This is correct.

all the rest aside, hahahahaha

ever used a palm ? with graffiti ?

i guess steve jobs invented that last century and i didn't notice

like betamax and vhs, not necessarily the best man wins, and so much innovation didn't cause the tech-ignorami to get that same little cyber stiffie that steve jobs seems to have whipped up for them

i for one am celebrating the android, even moreso that it allows me to use graffiti (even better, graffiti 1 not 2) for the input

the rest is all just touchscreen and icons really, and demanding tithe for evolution is another reason to be an atheist

all the rest aside, hahahahaha

ever used a palm ? with graffiti ?

i guess steve jobs invented that last century and i didn't notice

like betamax and vhs, not necessarily the best man wins, and so much innovation didn't cause the tech-ignorami to get that same little cyber stiffie that steve jobs seems to have whipped up for them

i for one am celebrating the android, even moreso that it allows me to use graffiti (even better, graffiti 1 not 2) for the input

the rest is all just touchscreen and icons really, and demanding tithe for evolution is another reason to be an atheist

Not the use of gestures. The particular gestures, and UI feedback that we now use on nearly all touch screen phones.

Elastic resistance to over-movement, combined with finger swipes, pinches etc.

In any event, the Newton featured gestures for operations such as delete, three years before palm released a product.

At the time, the only remotely similar products where things like the AT&T EO and the IBM SIMON, or a range of "pen on desktop" machines.

And FWIW Steve Jobs wasn't involved in the design or production of the Newton. But Apple definitely beat palm to the punch, and coined the term PDA.

Not the use of gestures. The particular gestures, and UI feedback that we now use on nearly all touch screen phones.

Elastic resistance to over-movement, combined with finger swipes, pinches etc.

In any event, the Newton featured gestures for operations such as delete, three years before palm released a product.

At the time, the only remotely similar products where things like the AT&T EO and the IBM SIMON, or a range of "pen on desktop" machines.

the jury is out on whether the "gestures" you allude to predate the palm "gesture" called shortcut; food for thought

however, to follow on, i had the misfortune to have a tink with the newton when it was brand new tech (my friend owned an apple franchise in adelaide back then), and while i could see the potential, it was a really shitty and overly large piece of unusable junk

the palm IIIc, and then the Vx, and later still the tungsten all made the difference between idea and functional tool bog obvious

in a perfect handheld world there would be hoards of palm worshippers, and apple would have been an interested bystander

between hitting the market half a decade before critical mass of computer users with minimal tech skills looking for an object of desire, and a less aesthetic package, palm dipped out

and what the fuck with apple still persisting with a single button to do all your shit ? maybe in the next iteration they will finally confess that minimalism has practical limitations - i'd rather press a calendar or address or note or to do button to switch on and grab that function, than do morse code poking the eye on that stupid cyclops interface

Edited by scruffy1

yeah i was using a mac book the other day and its just more difficult, it doesn't make sense. Maybe they should quickly invent a mouse with 2 buttons before someone else does

the palm IIIc, and then the Vx, and later still the tungsten all made the difference between idea and functional tool bog obvious

The palm III (before the palm IIIc) went on sale after the newton was canned.

Palm where heaps more popular than Apple in the PDA market.

The newton had lots of issues. If palm went to early for mass computers, think about the newton. By the time palm was carving out a niche, the newton had already been doomed due to it's under-performance for several years, and there was no money or time or energy to invest in something like stripping the newton down into a sleek device in 1996 or 1997. It was already ruled a "failure".

From my own experience, the gesture driven short-hand on the palm was great. I think the newton had better writing recognition, but it was too slow.

in a perfect handheld world there would be hoards of palm worshippers, and apple would have been an interested bystander

No. Because like RIM, palm focused on what they saw as their core market, to the detriment of future developments.

I think it's unfair that so many companies effectively ripped of Palm innovations during the 90s and early 00s, but it is what it is.

between hitting the market half a decade before critical mass of computer users with minimal tech skills looking for an object of desire, and a less aesthetic package, palm dipped out

Which is exactly why they started to fall so far behind. The palm was behind on things like proper USB for ages, and some of their drivers were shocking.

and what the fuck with apple still persisting with a single button to do all your shit ? maybe in the next iteration they will finally confess that minimalism has practical limitations - i'd rather press a calendar or address or note or to do button to switch on and grab that function, than do morse code poking the eye on that stupid cyclops interface

Might work for you, but personally I see those kind of buttons as entirely redundant.

If you use notes a lot, it will be on the first two screens when you double-home, and swipe through.

Why artificially prioritise which functions (or apps, really) get buttons and which don't, when you can base it on frequency of use. I don't need an email button on my computer.

yeah i was using a mac book the other day and its just more difficult, it doesn't make sense. Maybe they should quickly invent a mouse with 2 buttons before someone else does

1/10

Welcome to bashing macs, 20th century edition.