Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Twinkie

A super mysterious Steam question..

In an effort to conserve my lack of a internet quota, I bought Shogun 2 LE for cheap in a store but I already have it on Steam.

I know this would not be a awesome thing to do money wise and I personally hate it myself but in total both of these games add up to 30 bucks and I really wanna try out the Total Wars franchise.

Now back to the point, I want to know if I can keep the legitimate activation of the game in the box while just using the install file from the disc in order to play the game on my Steam. I'm thinking maybe I can give it to my friend or sell it or something.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

You most certainly can dude, the dvd is basically just a burnt copy of a steam backup with an autorun, chuck it in, run it, it will detect that you already have it on your account and it will ask to install.

Check your ISP. Many offer Steam servers which don't count towards your quota (If you're on wireless, you're out of luck).

I know Internode and iiNet do. I'm pretty sure TPG do.

Check it out. If they do have steam servers, go into your Steam settings and select your server.

Step 4) PROFIT!

Note: You may have already checked this, but I thought it worth mentioning as you haven't mentioned it yourself either.

AD

Thanks for mentioning.

I have Bigpond. Bloody dodgy as hell to get unmetered usage happening with it.

I tried all the filters and the pain was not worth it. It doesn't even work at times.

Check your ISP. Many offer Steam servers which don't count towards your quota (If you're on wireless, you're out of luck).

Check it out. If they do have steam servers, go into your Steam settings and select your server.

Step 4) PROFIT!

Note: You may have already checked this, but I thought it worth mentioning as you haven't mentioned it yourself either.

AD

Since iinet bought internode out, they've given node customers to all the unmetered iinet stuff too and vice versa, so good.

Did you try the new steam filters they've been spruiking on whingepool?

I hear SteamManager doesn't work so well with the new CDN/port80, but that one or two others might.

Thanks for mentioning.

I have Bigpond. Bloody dodgy as hell to get unmetered usage happening with it.

I tried all the filters and the pain was not worth it. It doesn't even work at times.

Have you tried Freys steam filter? I only say because I tried heaps without success and its the only one which worked for me

http://www.3fl.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2362

The next issue I came across was the content I was wanting to download wasn't actually on my "free" steam servers - Now and then I would have to turn it off to get some obscure games to download (Riddick EfDA jumps to mind)

I tried Frey's before.

What happens is I don't get any download happening at all when Frey's is working. Like 0kbs per second.

When was their last patch?

Step 4) PROFIT!

AD

Since iinet bought internode out, they've given node customers to all the unmetered iinet stuff too and vice versa, so good.

internode don't get iinet's free itunes access and something else too. Nearly all combined but not quite.

They will, they're just unable to do it at the moment, its in the works though, itunes and xbox live.

Edited by NukeJockey

Yeah, I read that. Just thought I should mention it incase someone goes on some sort of itunes rampage with internode, not realising it's not included. Good stuff for both sets of users though :)

Yeah Bigpond is a bitch to get unmetered content off of. Especially Steam content.

Tried all of them and basically it quite often would sit at 0kbps or would suddenly start downloading at some ridiculous speed then stop, then start, then stop...

And then I discovered one of the times I added the Bigpond content servers that there servers weren't unmetered or some bullshit and I downloaded 10GB -___-

So happy I'm with TPG now and have unlimited =P

Edited by TheSingularity

Bigpond hosts very little of the steam content on their server, which is why you get 0kb/s when using a filter, because its excluding all the IPs of servers that do actually have it.

Edited by NukeJockey