Sign in to follow this  
TheSingularity

GPU recommendations.

Hi all,

Haven't had to do this for myself in a while.

Anyway it is coming up my birthday and I was looking at upgrading my graphics card. I've currently got a HIS ATI Radeon 5870 rev. 1 so only a 1GB version, also just the basic reference heatsink.

So I'm not sure what my funds are going to be but I was looking at the mid-range at the moment such as the 7850 and 7870. Although I've noticed they haven't started to drop in price yet even though Nvidia is starting to roll out there cards, and Nvidia's old cards haven't dropped much in price either =\. By the way there isn't any like or dislike for one brand or the other.

So do I wait longer for the price drop or is there any point to upgrade the 5870 because the 7850 isn't much of an improvement/performance gain...?

Might as well add my current specs are:

i5 2500k (not sure what my OC settings are at the moment)

Thermaltake FRIO

ASUS P67 Sabertooth

Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24

HIS ATI Radeon 5870 1GB reference design

Seasonic M12D 850w

1x 24" monitor

1x 22" monitor

Any other necessary specs I will add if wanted.

Thanks for any replies.

I'd hold off for Nvidia's 6 series lineup. The GTX 680 for example; really kicks arse

What is your budget?

On the 6th of April I will be able to answer that.

Otherwise I'm not sure exactly.

Well, get back to us then.

im in a similar position, i have a near identicle system with a 5850 Oc'd to max able settings, i mainly play battlefield 3 and from what ive done research wise ive not really found much of a reason to upgrade the GPU until the 7970 and 680 came out. Having said that though from what fellow BF3 players have found that the 680 quite easily out performs the 7970, so im going to be looking at the 680 direction, but hopefully with a non reference card when they start to come out.

Best of luck

We have been waiting to hear your budget. :)

That's is the problem its what $280 unless I want to spend everything on it which would become $360...

Add a second hd5870 and crossfire them?