Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AccessDenied

From Gaming room to Green Room. Dick Smith Sale

OK. I don't like double threads. But this is really fascinating and worthy more of Green Room and general outrage in here rather than 'hidden' in Gaming..

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gaming/d...9-1226316539362

CBF'd doing a snip of anything as most of it has been said.. But WOW.. I bet Dick Smith are kicking themselves over this one.. This is not something which went according to plan by all reports.

I got a wiimote + nunchuck out of this for $4. So can't complain about that, but I went in there for other things. I grabbed a pair of keyboards of the shelf that were listed at $20 on the 'leaked' sheet and when I got to the counter $90 each. F@#k that.

AD

You better hurry up though.

Stock of anything desirable has already been drained enough as it is.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Who are you talking to? :s

Who are you talking to? :s

I'm breaking the fourth wall over the internet. Wanna join me?

:P

I was lucky enough to pick up a Xbox 360 MW3 Bluetooth headset for $15

I'll post a pic when I get home. Basically there were a lot of very confused people when they stopped and looked around at all the items that didn't have their prices changed.

I'll post a pic when I get home. Basically there were a lot of very confused people when they stopped and looked around at all the items that didn't have their prices changed.

Even some of the employees were going WTF at their own prices.

At the counter, one lady was getting that barcode scanner to find the price of each item on the computer and she raised an eye brow on every item's price shown on the monitor.

Dick Smith probably COULDN'T tag things as price changed as then it would be advertised. If advertised, could you imagine going into a price matching store? Dick Smith would be facing lawsuits if that happen.

If this "Leaked list" just "Happened" to get out but it "Wasn't a sale or advertised", well as "Good Customer Service we'll try to meet as many as possible", they can avoid that little trap.

This of course means that many things didn't get their price changed. Couple that with I saw one guy who had a bad run. Not all wiimotes were reduced. Some were some weren't. Depending on the packaging. He got all the nunchucks ok. The wiimotes however were all their full price.

I don't think Dick Smith will every do anything like this again, and I doubt another store will either. I *DO* think the list was intentionally leaked by marketing. That's not a surprise to anyone. But I doubt marketing were expecting the backlash.

AD

It makes me wonder what Dick Smith himself is thinking right now...

Somehow i don't think he'd appreciate his name being used in such a way, not that he's got a choice in the matter, ofcourse.

Dick Smith probably COULDN'T tag things as price changed as then it would be advertised. If advertised, could you imagine going into a price matching store? Dick Smith would be facing lawsuits if that happen.

Funnily enough I know for a fact an employee of KMart rang his boss up and said DSE are having a sale do me a price match on a DSi and they did.

I don't think Dick Smith will every do anything like this again, and I doubt another store will either. I *DO* think the list was intentionally leaked by marketing. That's not a surprise to anyone. But I doubt marketing were expecting the backlash.

Yeah, they got backlash, they had more things on sale than I thought but nothing I wanted. Im slightly annoyed that the employees raped everything I wanted but if I was in that position I probably would have done the same thing.

I went in chasing just the Logitech cordless PC gamepads, which were in stock, but not at all reduced. $60.

Guy told me to come in next Monday, they might be doing some more PC oriented clearance prices then. Next Monday is Easter Monday, and they're closed.

Kinda wanted an Xbox, but in the end I saved $100. Nothing that was on the shelves when I was first in this morning was even worth it.

I wasted 30 mins this morning ... don't worry DSE, I won't be wasting any more time in your store. Fairly poor effort really.

I went in chasing just the Logitech cordless PC gamepads, which were in stock, but not at all reduced. $60.

Guy told me to come in next Monday, they might be doing some more PC oriented clearance prices then. Next Monday is Easter Monday, and they're closed.

I was really disappointed Dick Smith Electronics couldn't do such a clearance sale for.....electronics. Yet.

I wouldn't mind getting my dollar coins for usbs and stuff.

I wasted 30 mins this morning ... don't worry DSE, I won't be wasting any more time in your store. Fairly poor effort really.

Why do you feel that way towards Dick Smith?

From all reports, this was an internal memo to clear stock, not an advertised gaming sale...

Their confirmation and refusal to say anything else is why I'm annoyed. Even to the point where no one in the store said a thing ... meh

I dropped into the local DSE yesterday because I was in the area, just to see if there was anything worth coming back for today. There were a couple of things I wanted so I got up and got to the store at 8:45 and lined up with the few other people that had the same idea. Almost everything that was there yesterday was gone when the doors opened, so either a whole bunch of stupid fuckers bought up all the stock yesterday or there is something very shifty going on. When I queried the store manager as to where all the stock went he refused to even acknowledge that it was even there yesterday, repeating "what you see is what we have". Cunts!

I posted this in the gaming section, but it's probably more applicable here:

I wonder how long until the ACCC get involved. I'm not a lawyer (yet), but this seems like a clear (albeit probably not entirely intentional) case of bait and switch:

35 Bait advertising

(1) A person must not, in trade or commerce, advertise goods or services for supply at a specified price if:

(a) there are reasonable grounds for believing that the person will not be able to offer for supply those goods or services at that price for a period that is, and in quantities that are, reasonable, having regard to:

(i) the nature of the market in which the person carries on business; and

(ii) the nature of the advertisement; and

(b) the person is aware or ought reasonably to be aware of those grounds.

Note: A pecuniary penalty may be imposed for a contravention of this subsection.

(2) A person who, in trade or commerce, advertises goods or services for supply at a specified price must offer such goods or services for supply at that price for a period that is, and in quantities that are, reasonable having regard to:

(a) the nature of the market in which the person carries on business; and

(b) the nature of the advertisement.

Note: A pecuniary penalty may be imposed for a contravention of this subsection.

Though the thing about the xboxes - were they the same model? If the sale was on a specific model (HDD size or the like), then they are legally allowed to offer only that version at the sale price. If they didn't specify that in the advert, however, and they had stock that could fall under the description given in the ad and refused to sell it at the sale price, then they are probably in contravention. They would probably argue that given the ad was leaked, 35(1)(a)(ii) and (2)(b) provide some protection. Given that they confirmed it, though, they may still have some trouble.

Having employees 'shotgun' almost all of the stock of particular items seems likely to be a breach of breach (2), though.

Later in the act, the pecuniary penalty is set at $1,100,000 per offence, although the bad PR has probably caused far more damage than that to the brand anyway.

Obviously, I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice. I'm sure the ACCC and their lawyers would LOVE to hear about this, though. Their phones at the infocenter are probably ringing off the hooks anyway, but it would still be worth giving them a call. The more people that call them, the more that it will seem that there is public outrage and the more likely that they will prioritise taking action.

The Ombudsman might also be a good point of call, but this isn't really an issue where you could get personal redress.

Even some of the employees were going WTF at their own prices.

At the counter, one lady was getting that barcode scanner to find the price of each item on the computer and she raised an eye brow on every item's price shown on the monitor.

Well they couldn't question it with a big red sticker on the front of it!

Posted Image

I won't deny that the whole event was fucked up from the start. Staff didn't know what the hell was going on, neither did the customers (myself included) when we raced in the store and looked at all the games/PC gear etc, and found that they still had the same price on them as the day/s beforehand. So people were going up to this one person on the side to check the prices for them.

Edited by krispy89

Dacraw: WAS it advertised? A leaked memo? There was nothing official really. If DSE played the 'benevolent suprised party' well "We weren't planning that, it was just discussions, but after the hype we tried our best to go through with it"

Also, the model of xbox was SPECIFICALLY Xbox 250G Slim.. They had lots of the higher capacity drives so they're in the clear there.

It's not bait and switch in your sense I believe.. It's just a good (bad) example of guerilla marketing.

AD

I was at the shops yesterday and wandered into Dick Smith mostly to have my expectations confirmed: lots and lots of people pawing over cardboard bins of what, really, was maybe 99% rubbish. A lot of the products that weren't on sale were far more expensive than what was on offer at, say, the nearby JB. And yet, for that morning at least, I'm sure Dick Smith had a lot more customers than JB.

Nice strategy.

Edited by Saponification

i gota say the last thing i bought from DSE was a HDMI cable for my ps3 lol. I used to go there all the time for connectors/plugs/leads UNTIL i found Jacar (and opened an account :D )

DSE have always been overpriced for their cables, but just like you I knew of no other alternative until I found jaycar :P