codecreeper

McDonalds Grilled

Did anyone watch Channel 7 and viewed Mc Donalds Grilled with Steve Lieberman?.

I am not sure about this program whether "Grilled " was the right word to use. After seeing all the volunteers set out to see how Mc Donalds actually get the food in their stores.

During the show i noticed a lot of areas seem to be cut out and more noticeable. First off the Lettuce washing was the most noticeable with the water going green ,secondly when they gave the manager a glass of green water to drink it seemed like the words where missing. Next the Buns why are they so sweet? this question was avoided. Then the Milk and shakes why put %13 Pig Fat in it when you can get Fresh Milk.

What really stood out was at the end was Steve Liebemann asked the wrong question the wrong way. The responses seemed rehearsed and not natural.

I feel like replying with "duh" but don't want to seem like an ass.

Did you really think McDonalds appearing on TV in that context would serve any purpose other than to make them look good?

I saw a trailer so I know what show your talking about, but didn't actually watch it.

Very interested, thanks for the link nukey. Heard about this...somewhere. Triple M maybe?

Anyway, anything funded by maccas isn't going to paint them as the devil incarnate, no matter how unbiased they claim to be as producers.

So despite the fact that I now know (After watching that) that Maccas burgers aren't as full of crap as I thought, I still refuse to eat the foul tasting shit.

Saw it last night. I don't find it difficult to believe that what they showed was accurate. The fact that they specifically said their burger buns were sweeter than the norm should be alarming to everyone - normal burger buns are too damned sweet as it is! The makeup of their mince is bothersome as well. When I make a patty, it doesn't ooze half it's weight in fat.

Much like the old curmudgeon on that show, I haven't been to McD's for about 20 years - the experience then was bad enough to discourage me for that long. The flavours have probably improved since then, but from what I saw last night, I still won't be returning just yet.

I caught the last 45 minutes or so.

Fairly quickly I got the impression it was just a giant infomercial.

No doubt the restaurants involved had decent advance warning they were coming along, so put in the extra effort.

In my experience, half the problem with their food isn't necessarily in the ingredients but how it's handled and cooked.

TiVo recorded it for me ( it knows I like doccos ) so I gave it a look before bed. I have to agree with the observation that it was heavily and obviously edited to make Maccas look as good as possible. They bought up a few things that were not shining beacons of Macca's complete and healthy awesomeness, but it was very scripted and very selective. Like the woman who bought up the phosphates and the research she did on them. She only bought up the point of the negative effects they can have when consumed in large quantities and also only briefly touching on the most unalarming of them, the rest of the time she was commenting on how amazed she was at the quality of the produce.

I knew it was basically going to be a Macca's funded hour long ad, I just wanted to see how far they were going to push their bullshit. Answer; very far. How Steve Lieberman will ever be able to hold his head up in the company of his piers after the paid song and dance act he did for MacDonald's last night I will never know? What a fucking joke his 'hard hitting' questions were. Wasn't he a fairly well respected journalist at one point? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I wonder why Macca's chose to air this now. I've never seen them do anything like this before. Are Australian sales of Big Macs at a record low or something?

The two guys especially the old guy his expressions showed a lot need to be said about the beef patty. The Young guy was a idiot just like putting a football player there for show.

But at the End one thing did come across. That McDonalds where approved by this show and a well known journalist and even Lab tested ,"now come in to McDonalds for a hearty and Healthy Feast".

Wish they did this too KFC ,Hungry Jacks and Subway too

How Steve Lieberman will ever be able to hold his head up in the company of his piers

I can't imagine inanimate objects will judge him too harshly and they shorely (hehe) won't be verbal enough for him to notice.

Yeah i expected it to just glorify maccas, interesting how they pick tiny farms to check on the animals, which I feel would have better conditions and quality control than a big farm.

Overall the whole thing was laughably obviously produced by maccas

Edited by Morgoth

How Steve Lieberman will ever be able to hold his head up in the company of his piers

I can't imagine inanimate objects will judge him too harshly and they shorely (hehe) won't be verbal enough for him to notice.

God damn it! I'm not even going to fix that with an edit cause it's pretty funny but still, Goddamnit!

Honestly what did we expect of corse it was going to be very pro Maccas. I was watching it with my partner who works at maccas an even she thinks it was just a bit of maccas propaganda. Hear are a few news articles ive found about the show last night.

Producer defends documentary

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and...0401-1w67r.html

Hearld suns right up about it

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/...f-1226316860463

and channel seven defending them showing it

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/telev...i-1226315593719

I dont think they went far enough into it and if they really wanted to do an look at maccas then McDonalds should have had nothing to do with it so they could not affect the outcome.

new idea for show. grab your smart phone, start recording, barge into and do a lap through your local maccers kitchen and catch as much as you can on film then upload it to youtube.

I feel that sales at maccers is going down recently, I know I used to eat there a lot, but haven't for over a month now. I've been finding the hungry jacks which is a bit further away tastes way better and is generally better quality (it seems HJs has lifted its game significantly recently).

The last time i had McD, I was desperate for something to eat

I will nevrr be that desperate again

I lived on the stuff for years and loved it. I haven't touched it for almost 5 months and haven't felt like it at all in that time but I still think it tastes good as far as junk food goes. Hungry Jacks is better though.

Seems some kind of competition almost is going on in this thread with people claiming "I haven't had McDonalds for blah blah long, and that shit is terrible, never going near it again." Not sure what McDonalds you're going to but around here it tastes damn good.

The Hungry Jacks on the other hand is very hit or miss depending on which suburb you get it from.

Also noticed the mentioning of this show and the fact it was what 'sponsored' by McDonalds which is an instant give away it isn't going to say anything bad about McDonalds or it will play down any bad points. Or somehow give the bad points positive spins...-___- Just go watch Super-Size Me that points out it is terrible enough but do most people care...no not really. Others just don't have time to be making a meal every night or feel like a break that is cheap and easy to get.

Seems some kind of competition almost is going on in this thread with people claiming "I haven't had McDonalds for blah blah long, and that shit is terrible, never going near it again." Not sure what McDonalds you're going to but around here it tastes damn good.

The Hungry Jacks on the other hand is very hit or miss depending on which suburb you get it from.

McDonalds, as I said, last time I had it, was way too sweet. Seriously, the freakin softserve afterward was only a little sweeter. To me, that makes it a dessert not a main meal.

I don't eat dessert very often.

Hungry Jacks is very 'hit & miss', as you say - but it does have the advantage of being actually savoury. Flame grilling is really superior to that heated press McD's uses. I've had their junk about half a dozen times in the last 15 years.

Stay Safe eat Hungry Jacks .

Did anyone notice the chicken part ? How did they process the pieces for Nuggets and strips? Looking at the all those little pieces being marinated on the belt then dropping into a tray they must have been diced then pressed into a chicken nugget.

Watching it now, not finished. The nugget warmer thing with timer was the UPC, I remember that acronym from when I worked, but not what it stands for. The dirty tray is not unsurprising.

Usually in busy periods the nuggets/patties won't last half an hour in the warmer, but in slow times they're likely to be there up to an hour (unless the staff are anal about throwing old stuff away and cooking lots of little batches).

Overall I get the vibe that it's relatively true access, but it's being edited in such a way as to give the impression that maccas isn't so bad after all. Like when the old guy says "poor, it's a pisspoor effort" before the ad break, implying it's about the food - then after the break, and in context, it was actually about something else.

Wouldn't trust it as the sole source of facts, but it's not a complete farce either.

*edit*

Though that coffee snob that apparently grows his own being satisfied with mc cafe cofee? That's a stretch. The beans come in bags, not fresh like he said, and are not thrown out after four hours (no idea where that came from) because they sit in the hopper above the machine until used.

The coffee - PMSL. I remember the WTF moment I had when the grow-yer-own bloke made the comment.

I'd rate their $5 cappuccino barely above what I can achieve at home with Nescafe instant.

that coffee snob that apparently grows his own being satisfied with mc cafe cofee? That's a stretch.

Give me a fucking break. McDonalds espresso is consistently the worst espresso I have ever tasted.

The last two times I was so desperate that I went to a McCafe, I took one sip, and threw the rest of it in the bin. It literally tasted like hot water with dirt in it.

Never again. Going without coffee is better than trying to drink a McDonalds coffee.

Edited by Virtuoso

that coffee snob that apparently grows his own being satisfied with mc cafe cofee? That's a stretch.

Give me a fucking break. McDonalds espresso is consistently the worst espresso I have ever tasted.

The last two times I was so desperate that I went to a McCafe, I took one sip, and threw the rest of it in the bin. It literally tasted like hot water with dirt in it.

Never again. Going without coffee is better than trying to drink a McDonalds coffee.

I fucking agree, it's rubbish!

Virt, it's probing time!

Then the Milk and shakes why put %13 Pig Fat in it when you can get Fresh Milk.

Pig fat stops the soft serve from freezing solid. Just using plain milk would cause the machine to literally "freeze up". It's a similar to what anti-freeze does in a radiator. This is my understanding of why it's there. All soft serve machines use it. I used to make Ice Cream from raw ingredients at a small niche company, and pig fat (dehydrated) was listed on the ingredients of one of the bags of powder. Can't remember the exact ingredient, but pig fat does tend to be memorable.

McDonalds espresso is consistently the worst espresso I have ever tasted ... Never again. Going without coffee is better than trying to drink a McDonalds coffee.

Despite the standardisation of raw materials throughout the McDonald's chain, there are some decent McCafe's.

Particulary here in WA at Bunbury and East Victoria Park. Both serve great coffee. It also relies on the skill of the Barista, so maybe they are just two exceptional stores.

But I have had rather bad lattes from the city store (Murray St Mall) and Cannington.