Sign in to follow this  
Adicolour

Dreams and there meanings.

Do you believe that dreams have meanings? personally i do, as ive had the same nightmare for the past 3 nights and ive woken up in cold sweat etc. and it feels like it has to do with something in my life right now. anyone else ever have something like that?

Edited by Adicolour

Yeah. But then I wake up, go to the toilet and all is ok again.

Dreams and meanings? I suppose it is entirely likely. Sleep is meant to be a time when the brain processes the things from your day. No doubt this could impart itself in manipulating your dreams.

However, if you believe that dreams will foretell future, give you winning lotto numbers or whatever, then if you could dream about me selling you a bridge, I'll be over later...

AD

Well it definatly has something to do with what you are going through.

Some dreams may have meansing some dreams may not. All dreams are a way for the mind to process, sort and otherwise figure out what it should remember, what is usefull infomation and how it should file memories, ideas and infomation.

Sleep is our minds way of running a defrag and possibly some folding at the same time. Dreams are what passes through our conscious tought paths in the process.

Sometimes you will wake up with a new perspective on an old problem, or an answer to something you were working on.

Othertimes you just have vague memories of a wierd sceneario your brain created out of the prieces of memory that your brain was working through.

Our brains are designed to find patterns. Sometimes we find patterns that aren't really there.

Dreams can be fun and all, but try not to get too caught up in them. I don't think there's some universal translator for dreams, and it can be incredibly trying to winnow some meaning from your own dreams without reading too much into all the wrong things.

I don't believe dreams have meanings. Some nightmares can have causes and that can be misinterpreted as having meaning if one is oblivious to the cause but that's about as close as it gets IMHO.

-X

Absolutely, dreams have meaning.

During waking hours the senses report what they sense, as a projector, onto a canvas. Then you, as yourself, react to the content of that canvas.

During dreams. You, as yourself, take your reactions. And project them back onto the same canvas. The inverse projection, is a manner of correcting the analysis of nature, through misinterpretation, by the self.

Dreams are like the garbage of the mind. Sure you can derive meaning from them, just like you could go through your bin and discover things about yourself.

Still just junk though.

Hmm,

I almost never remember dreams, although a few have woken me in a cold sweat - re-enactments, I believe they are mostly a cleansing, in other words don't treat them seriously and let them go.

I think AD has it pretty right :)

Cheers

Dreams are like the garbage of the mind. Sure you can derive meaning from them, just like you could go through your bin and discover things about yourself.

Still just junk though.

It's amazing what you can learn about someone. By rummaging through through their trash.

The garbage bin, is the go-to place for any PI worth their salt.

Edited by katalyst

Still just junk though.

It's amazing what you can learn about someone. By rummaging through through their trash.

Certainly, but anything my trash can tell you about me, I already know.

If there was something for me to learn from it, I wouldn't be throwing it out.

Dreams are pretty much the same

Still just junk though.

Certainly, but anything my trash can tell you about me, I already know.

If there was something for me to learn from it, I wouldn't be throwing it out.

Dreams are pretty much the same

I'm not sure I agree with the trash analogy. It's an interesting take though.

I dont know, maybe. It depends...

Was your dream one about buying a dictionary? Maybe your subconscious is compelling you to know the difference between there and their.

Well, I have been dreaming of being an Immortal King who has watched the earth since the Ice Age and into the 21st Century....

Has been constant for about a week now.

:-/

I dream of dirt bikes ... alot. Mono'ing into the sunset (which I can't do on my 2-stroke yet)

I dream of my gf, kissing her, spending time with her

I have recurring dreams of something dark (a shadowy thing) in my room watching over me. It's weird, I'll be completely conscious in the dream, but everything will be the way it is in real life only I can't move properly. One time it turned into a dog and jumped onto my bed. Another time it pushed my sideways across my bed. Another time I was laying in my swag at 8am (dreaming/real time) and saw a pair of scaly, scarred, legs standing on the other side of my car, looking underneath it. Strange also, I haven't felt a reason to fear it, I'm just like "yeah whatever, you again" ... anyone got any ideas?

Well, I have been dreaming of being an Immortal King who has watched the earth since the Ice Age and into the 21st Century....

Has been constant for about a week now.

:-/

This means you want to have sex with your mother

I dream of dirt bikes ... alot. Mono'ing into the sunset (which I can't do on my 2-stroke yet)

I dream of my gf, kissing her, spending time with her

I have recurring dreams of something dark (a shadowy thing) in my room watching over me. It's weird, I'll be completely conscious in the dream, but everything will be the way it is in real life only I can't move properly. One time it turned into a dog and jumped onto my bed. Another time it pushed my sideways across my bed. Another time I was laying in my swag at 8am (dreaming/real time) and saw a pair of scaly, scarred, legs standing on the other side of my car, looking underneath it. Strange also, I haven't felt a reason to fear it, I'm just like "yeah whatever, you again" ... anyone got any ideas?

This means you want to have sex with your grandmother

Of course dreams have meaning.

We just don't know what they are.

Sometimes I think it's the minds way of dwelling on something you don't really devote time to thinking about in waking life.

Other times it's obviously some anxiety, or memory of a traumatic experience.

Many people who have been through traumatic experiences, report recurring dreams about those experiences.

The most common emotions described in dreams, are negative ones.

So perhaps dreams are involved in the mind coming to terms with things that have, or might happen.

In all likelihood there are many kind of dreams, that have different reasons for existing. But ultimately, we don't know yet.

I think the idea that you can draw conclusions from your dreams using symbology can be drawing too long a bow. Personally my dreams are more often literal. Interestingly, some of the weirdest and scariest dreams I've ever had, have been when I'm sick.

The dreams I remember often just seem stupid to me, although I remember when I was about 8, it was the end of the school year and I was carrying home a black garbage bag (I lived about 300 metres from my primary school) full of all the crap from my desk and other random miscellaneous junk. Now at some point on the way home, I lost a tamagotchi that I was borrowing from a friend, it was one of the big expensive ones. I could never work out what happened to it, I felt really bad about it and kept dreaming of where it could be, but I never found it. In one of the dreams, I dreamt that it fell out of the garbage bag through a hole in the side, my guess, is that this particular dream was actually true, but it took me a long time to come to that conclusion.

I also remember having a really bad nightmare once that had me sitting up screaming (while asleep) for close to a minute before my girlfriend could wake me up. All I remember from that dream was hearing a scary rasping breath and then my own screaming, which I thought was the screaming of someone else. I actually posted a thread about that, 'Night Terrors?'.

Edited by NukeJockey

Night terrors?

Part of you is awake but not all of you. So, say, you'll be mostly conscious/lucid, but still sort of dreaming. And the bit of your brain that says "ok, you're dreaming, let's not move so we don't actually do what we think we are in the dream" is engaged.

From what some friends who experience them have said, waking up and being unable to move while feeling either a malicious presence just hanging out in the room, or someone actually trying to get/harm you. Cue anxiety issues when you realise you're unable to move out of harm's way.

Constant nightmares are often related to post traumatic stress disorder.

Often than that I don't put a lot of stock in Dreams if they were that important we would remember them but our we don't store them in memory the same as our other thoughts. Generally any dreams we do have are only significant to ourselves anyway there is no template to apply in order to extract meaning.

that sleep paralysis is fucked up shit, being religious(inb4beingslammedforit) i believe in spirits and what not, and when i have sleep paralysis it scares the fuck out of me.