elvenwhore

hoes before bros?

Hell yes. I've eaten stuff I wasn't sure of. Think "Provincial Chinese Cuisine". (Only in Vietnam).

I did get the message across that seafood made me sick. Much smiling and nodding.

At the end of the day I had no idea what I ate. Some was tasty. (Best pork spring rolls EVER!) Some wasn't so tasty. Not sure what it was. It came from pig is all I can tell you.

Some things are tasty despite the mental cringe factor (Scorpion are actually quite yum and an excellent substitute for those that can't eat seafood but like prawns/lobster. Closer to your Balmain bug/Morton Bay bug type deal).

Some things not so.. Pigs blood soup comes to mind. I mean I eat meat. You'd think pigs blood once cooked would be like liquid meat right? It's not.

AD

Some things not so.. Pigs blood soup comes to mind. I mean I eat meat. You'd think pigs blood once cooked would be like liquid meat right? It's not.

Actually, no, I would not think it was anything like meat. I'd think it was more like sea water, polluted with something 'orrible.

Soapy - I am so, so glad you brought up Anthony Bourdain and his perspectives :-) I very much enjoy what he has to say and I think he makes a lot of sense. And I think it's an extreeeemely valid point, and even if it's not one I practice (I am not in the same or similar travelling situation as AB) then I think it's something that someone like myself should spend time thinking about.

A certain degree of privilege and luxury are two things that a white, middle-class female living in Australia can reasonably expect, let's be honest. I don't mean yachts on Sydney harbour, I mean the luxury of choosing what and how much food I can eat, and when. The luxury of supporting myself and the privilege of a degree of choice in leisure or career pursuits (yes, I know I'm generalising). Why bring that up? Because I think it's a privilege and a luxury that I can afford to make the choice to live a vegan lifestyle. If I didn't have either privilege or luxury, what then?

So I think AB's perspective is very nuanced and thought-provoking :-)

It would, as Bourdain puts it, be me, the tourist, just rejecting these people and their generosity... Is that, kind of, to some extent, what you're getting at with your fear of being seen as selfish?

Well said :-)

I sat down to reply that it wasn't really my fear, as such, that inspired the thread but the thoughts and experiences of a recently dairy-free omni over Easter... but then again, if I say I do feel bad or guilty on occasions (and I do) then it is, by extension, my fear (or issue, or hang-up, or insecurity) as well as his :-)

On a very basic level, by rejecting someone's offer of food I am rejecting their hospitality, if not them (depending on the significance of the food). Dealing with it is often more convenient, "prettier" and easier when living in Australia.

On a very basic level, by rejecting someone's offer of food I am rejecting their hospitality, if not them (depending on the significance of the food). Dealing with it is often more convenient, "prettier" and easier when living in Australia.

Now I know ... I'm anti social :D

If I'm invited somewhere I do try to be a bit hungry on arrival, so as not to offend, but if I don't want to eat something then I won't. I'll do my best to politely refuse but if I'm faced with insistence by the host, it gets tricky.