nobody813

Atomic F1 GP2 Championship

Count me in

St8smn / st8smn350

I wouldnt mind sticking with Red tho im not fussed

IMPORTANT

Now that kikz has added advertising to the Atomic F1 site, it's now a commercial entity.

That means we need to redesign the Atomic F1 logo, as well as the GP2 logo so it in no way resembles the official Haymarket logo, for obvious reasons.

Fallen - you did an amazing job with GP2 - would you like to have a stab at this? It must look completely different to the Atomic logo, so can't use Eurostile (atomic font).

Will also post this in the season 5 thread so it's not missed.

Ah that's a shame, I thought the logos looked really good. :p But yes, I can have a go if you like. OK if I take a few days though. I have to convert my race rig back into my desktop for any serious graphics work. use the trackpad on my wireless keyboard isn't much fun.

You guys got any requests/ideas as to how you might like it to look?

Well, I'd be ronoccio rosso, but someone allready took the torro.. :p

Hey mate, I'll swap teams to Red Bull if you would prefer the Rosso crew? Up to you.

Edited by fallen19

Atomic - tof

GFWL - ToF9

Team Preference - 1. McLaren 2. Sauber 3. Mercedes

Time preference - Weekend only due to work. Prolly not too late on Sunday night if possible.

Thanks nobody. :)

EDIT: I'm now in GP1 but happy to be a reserve driver for GP2 if you ever need extra numbers for the grid and I'm free.

Righto mate. Have fun in GP1 :-D

Thanks Lambo :-)

IMPORTANT

Now that kikz has added advertising to the Atomic F1 site, it's now a commercial entity.

That means we need to redesign the Atomic F1 logo, as well as the GP2 logo so it in no way resembles the official Haymarket logo, for obvious reasons.

Fallen - you did an amazing job with GP2 - would you like to have a stab at this? It must look completely different to the Atomic logo, so can't use Eurostile (atomic font).

Will also post this in the season 5 thread so it's not missed.

Ah that's a shame, I thought the logos looked really good. :p But yes, I can have a go if you like. OK if I take a few days though. I have to convert my race rig back into my desktop for any serious graphics work. use the trackpad on my wireless keyboard isn't much fun.

You guys got any requests/ideas as to how you might like it to look?

Bugger. Well, for now I have removed the logo (though seems you did too haha). As for teams, these can be sorted out at a later date if need be

I'm thinking of hosting a race this Sunday sometime, but it does not have to be the start of the season. Can be a random track too. What does everyone reckon?

nobody I'm pretty sure you're fine with the GP2 logo as it is here in the forums - as long as it doesn't appear on Atomic f1. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that.

It's because there are now advertisements on atomic f1, that's the reason why, so if there's Haymarket-owned logo/brand/IP (or clear derivative of it) on a site that is making money from it - that's why it needs to change.

nobody I'm pretty sure you're fine with the GP2 logo as it is here in the forums - as long as it doesn't appear on Atomic f1. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that.

It's because there are now advertisements on atomic f1, that's the reason why, so if there's Haymarket-owned logo/brand/IP (or clear derivative of it) on a site that is making money from it - that's why it needs to change.

Righto. Fallen no longer hosts the logo anymore, so it was a blank image any way haha

[ignore]Really Quick placeholder if you like. [/ignore]

I thought I'd take both down, and make the new ones tie in together, we are still all atomic F1 racers. ;)

Edited by fallen19

Can't see the GP in the logo lol, with the black background on the forums haha

Oh, you have the black theme, I'm using the white one, haha. ok noted.

Ignore that then... *facepalm*

on a site that is making money from it

lol

To the numerous posts made recently: I should add my comments at this point. It seems people are making assumptions about me doing work on my site without first checking if it's something I'm willing to do. In the other thread I expressed that I would no longer be doing work an atomicf1.com. Over the duration of the atomicf1.com site I've put substantial work into designing a site from the ground up and perhaps people do not realise just how much work is involved in the actual development of my site.

Changes such as adding the ability to record race results for multiple leagues (such as just 'GP1' and 'GP2') represent work of probably around 40+ hours. As a professional software development contractor, this is a substantial investment of time and expertise, and something that, given it would be undertaken pro-bono, so to speak, would only be done in my spare (lol) time and as such would not be delivered in a timely manner.

In saying that, the work I have done on the site has been a labour of love and typically not done begrudgingly; more because I enjoy coding.

I would not be at all surprised if my comments inspire some people to post comments along the lines of 'kikz is having another rant blah blah blah'. Perhaps I am. Now is also a good time to clearly state I will no longer be participating or contributing to the 'atomicf1 community'. Why? I have been offended by comments recently made about me on the forums, leaving me feeling unappreciated in light of the considerable effort I've given to this league, both in the site and actively doing my best to recruit new members for the overall good of the comp.

I will be disappointed, although not surprised, if I'm again accused of 'Taking my ball and bat and going home'. Something most people would do when they feel undervalued to an extent not wanted.

Another item I need to mention, as it has been brought up the last time I took a 'sabatical', is atomicf1.com itself. I have owned this domain since early 2006 when I ran a tipping website primarily for atomicans, and then in 2008 when atomicf1 was the domain for a site I used to blog on various real world F1 thoughts I had. That this league now calls itself atomicf1 does not mean it automatically owns atomicf1.com, just as haymarket media has no claim to the atomicf1 name, or any domain name that contains 'atomic'. This is a small point that doesn't mean anything for the majority of people here, however it has come up before, that 'the right thing to do' is to give the atomicf1.com domain to this league. From my point of view atomicf1.com is indexed throughout google, pointing to content that I've developed and pointing the dns entry will break these links.

How does the above effect regular joes in these leagues? It doesn't and can be ignored. This is an expression of my current feelings (a week later) as to why I won't be in the race on Sunday, as well as me pre-meditating my responses to likely comments to this post. It is notification so Flouncy can give my spot to others.

So (some of) us saying your driving style is too aggressive make you think that you're undervalued or not wanted?

That's some leap you're making there mate. I think every single one of us realises the dedication and effort you've put into this comp, over many years.

But, with that being said(and don't undervalue the above comment, please)...

Toughen up princess.

@ kikz, I agree in a sense you are undervalued in the time and effort you've put into the AtomicF1 site and racing in general. However, ranting that said comments made you quit is a bit sad really. Heck, I've faced worse on other places and raged badly at those. But I still play as I know it is a game and I've been taking it too seriously. Sure, results hasn't fallen your way but that's racing mate. Your aggression is quite welcomed in my opinion as that forces me to be better in defending myself against you in Melbourne and other times I was taking you on.

So in a nutshell, you're bitter about things. That I can understand. But by ranting and telling us it is our fault, that's probably your opinion clouding the true meaning of it all. So take a breather and just pop your head in once a while. Then you'll notice a shitload of things that you'll just laugh over.

@ kikz. Hey mate, I'm only new here, but this upsets me quite a bit. I'm sorry that you feel the way you do. To me the work you do for the guys in the community is invaluable, I see it as you being one of the pillars holding this whole thing up, especially in regards to the massive effort you have put into the atomicf1 site, without that 'atomicf1' would be a shadow of what it is.

Now that may sound like I'm trying to suck up and write what you want to hear, but it's honestly the way I see things.

Hopefully you can reconsider, and if you ever need a hand with anything, just ask, as I would love to help out in any way I can.

Plus, there's always room for you with us in the GP2 if you get bored.

Take it easy.

lol

[...snip...]

Why are you quoting me in a post about wanting to stop racing, and how you worked hard on the site? Unrelated.

I've already explained why we need to change the look of the logo and it has nothing to do with how long and hard you worked on the site.

Nor has it anything to do with whether you SHOULD be wanting to make a buck off it - power to you on that, make a mint. I hope you do.

Once again - it is because the site is now commercial (which I noticed today, ads may have been there longer, I don't know), and the logo looks like one that belongs to another company. So we need to change the fucking look of the logo, that's all. I'm surprised I even needed to point this out and that it didn't occur to you when you added ads.

Which I see you've now done, so leave me out of your personal dramas.

Woot! Gp2 has drama! Lol

seriously tho...

This comp gets too serious at times. Im here for the fun. The community. Im not the most dedicated racer, unlike some. The logo i made. It was for fun.

I dont know kikz's reasons for putting ads on the site. Im sure he has good reason. Should it have been discussed before? Probebly, but thats behind us now. He owns the domain, he owns the storage, he built the site, and alows us graciously to use it. Thanks kikz :)

Furthermore, dont take the interwebs seriously. Its just a fun competition. Were not playing for major cash prizes, theres a trophy lambo had made for gp1 but thats about it. (other then ghost getting his butt kicked iirc :p )

I dont want to see an exodus of players. I just want to race and have fun. Theres too much hate in the world that we dont need to add to it being mean to eachother.

That being said, kikz, what things do you need to host the site? What is the monthly useage of the site? Rough numbers are ok, i might be able to find a solution rather then you hosting at home. Call me. :)

Mostly unrelated, i'm actually going to be putting my own server into a datacentre over the next month or two... Will have MS and *nix virtuals running on it... So if that assists anyone(at all) with the running of this comp, i'd be happy to help.

(yes, that includes you too, kikz. As said, it really *is* appreciated the effort you put in to the F1 comps, previous to now, still now, and hopefully also into the future. It wouldn't be the same without you here... Infact you're one of the reasons i joined the comp.)

I said kikz was ONE of the reasons.

You were one too, because it means i wasn't going to be last every race!

kikz I do think that over my brief time in this league (at the arse end of it at least), you've made a heap of changes to the site and they have usually been followed by a number of posts of appreciation.

People have and do appreciate the work you have put in, though when it comes to volunteering the thanks dont usually equate to the effort. It would be great to see you back in GP1 but that's obviously your call. I to have had the odd disagreement with the management of late ;) but getting the balance of serious and fun can often be difficult. This is especially the case where at one end you have people investing hours and hours in setup and practice while at the other end you have people like me who are lucky to do one hour of practice a week.

Take it easy dood.

kikz - it's occurred to me that you may have thought my posts about the logo change meant also changing the name. It does not and I did not say that. I'm talking about the look - the font mainly, so stuff about domain name/DNS etc is not something that will be affected.

lol

[...snip...]

Why are you quoting me in a post about wanting to stop racing, and how you worked hard on the site? Unrelated.

I've already explained why we need to change the look of the logo and it has nothing to do with how long and hard you worked on the site.

Nor has it anything to do with whether you SHOULD be wanting to make a buck off it - power to you on that, make a mint. I hope you do.

Once again - it is because the site is now commercial (which I noticed today, ads may have been there longer, I don't know), and the logo looks like one that belongs to another company. So we need to change the fucking look of the logo, that's all. I'm surprised I even needed to point this out and that it didn't occur to you when you added ads.

Which I see you've now done, so leave me out of your personal dramas.

I quoted you because I responded to that line. The site doesn't makes about $0.30 a month. The site isn't a marketing venture. My responding to anything said ended there. I expected a reaction like this from you and it's your attidude to me that makes me not enjoy this league. We don't need to change the logo. I need to change the logo. I'm not a fucking admin of this competition. I'm a guy who wrote a website and a bunch of guides. You don't like my attitude and I don't like yours and we both don't like the way the other drives on the race track in relation to the other. Much of my dramas as you so eloquently put it is me over stepping my place as a competitor. Thats my fault.

SO IT'S CLEAR, I'M NOW NOT ADDRESSING FLOUNCY: I wanted to stop work on the site a while back but kept plodding away to provide everyone increased value. That's my fault. I coulda just spoke up earlier and said "I don't have time to do this any more".

i know this is late, but can we do a season tipping ladder :D

Yes! kikz something you could add on the site? It'll have to be ready before qualy tomorrow. We can just post here if needed. Can't believe we didn't think of this earlier :}

atomicf1.com was originally a tipping only website, complete with a pleathora of real F1 stats. http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...80287&p=390

I won't be adding new functionality to the site.

I also can't / don't want to race in the 8pm timeslot so was going to stop anyways.

I will always watch races live. if that clashed with atomicf1, i wont be racing atomicf1. i also find 8pm very interuptive, so i'll be re-evaluating continued playing once dst ends.

recording doesnt work because i have to get up at 5 and i barely have an hour free time each week night before i have to hit the sack. i ysed to record the late races and get up at 4 the next morning to watch. i've got too nuch f1 on twittrer and facebook, and i read too many f1 sites to not find out the results before able to watch in fri night

Guys, I AM sorry for interjecting with this drama. I would have slinked of quietly if not that I've maintained the website. That was my plan before this week. Just to stop, and I'd tried to facilitate that with giving Mark (a few weeks back) and now Lambo full ability to maintain the website (but not add functionality). Then it became apparent with this GP2 thing that people may be expecting or wanting the website to do something more than it currently does.

Edited by kikz

Admin/planning-related only question: Are you pulling out of the China race (per your post before the one above), or the season (as the last post suggests)?