nobody813

Atomic F1 GP2 Championship

Just came in to read this and I feel that I need to put my two cents in.

To the numerous posts made recently: I should add my comments at this point. It seems people are making assumptions about me doing work on my site without first checking if it's something I'm willing to do. In the other thread I expressed that I would no longer be doing work an atomicf1.com. Over the duration of the atomicf1.com site I've put substantial work into designing a site from the ground up and perhaps people do not realise just how much work is involved in the actual development of my site.

Changes such as adding the ability to record race results for multiple leagues (such as just 'GP1' and 'GP2') represent work of probably around 40+ hours. As a professional software development contractor, this is a substantial investment of time and expertise, and something that, given it would be undertaken pro-bono, so to speak, would only be done in my spare (lol) time and as such would not be delivered in a timely manner.

Kikz, no one knows how much work goes into this more than me. The original site took me many many months of work in my spare time as well as well as constantly writing content which I still heavily do. I understand that everyone is busy and that this for all purposes is based on a hobby. No one is expecting you nor demanding that you carry out any work. It was only logical for them to ask since yes you build the site. If you say it's not possible it's not possible.

I have to also take slight annoyance that you say it's 'your' site. It came about because my web development skills only go so far, and you as a professional put your hand up to take it to the next level. To say it's your site smacks of 'well I built it, I'll do as I please, and you guys can use it because I let you.' You don't feel that the site should belong to us all? Yes it's your work on the back end, but you don't feel that anyone else has contributed at all?

on a site that is making money from it

lol

You can't blame us for thinking so, why else put ads on it? No one even said anything when you did, nor did we care.

In saying that, the work I have done on the site has been a labour of love and typically not done begrudgingly; more because I enjoy coding.

As is for everyone that competes that contributes no matter how big or small.

I would not be at all surprised if my comments inspire some people to post comments along the lines of 'kikz is having another rant blah blah blah'. Perhaps I am. Now is also a good time to clearly state I will no longer be participating or contributing to the 'atomicf1 community'. Why? I have been offended by comments recently made about me on the forums, leaving me feeling unappreciated in light of the considerable effort I've given to this league, both in the site and actively doing my best to recruit new members for the overall good of the comp.

I will be disappointed, although not surprised, if I'm again accused of 'Taking my ball and bat and going home'. Something most people would do when they feel undervalued to an extent not wanted.

Undervalued? Seriously? I cannot remember anytime you've ever added anything that anyone didn't appreciated or applaud. I can only assume that things said about events that happened after a practice session you've decided to take personally which lets be honest isn't the first time.

Another item I need to mention, as it has been brought up the last time I took a 'sabatical', is atomicf1.com itself. I have owned this domain since early 2006 when I ran a tipping website primarily for atomicans, and then in 2008 when atomicf1 was the domain for a site I used to blog on various real world F1 thoughts I had. That this league now calls itself atomicf1 does not mean it automatically owns atomicf1.com, just as haymarket media has no claim to the atomicf1 name, or any domain name that contains 'atomic'. This is a small point that doesn't mean anything for the majority of people here, however it has come up before, that 'the right thing to do' is to give the atomicf1.com domain to this league. From my point of view atomicf1.com is indexed throughout google, pointing to content that I've developed and pointing the dns entry will break these links.

How does the above effect regular joes in these leagues? It doesn't and can be ignored. This is an expression of my current feelings (a week later) as to why I won't be in the race on Sunday, as well as me pre-meditating my responses to likely comments to this post. It is notification so Flouncy can give my spot to others.

No one is debating you own the domain. No one suggested you should do anything with it, nor 'give it up'.

I will no longer be racing in atomic f1

This is a red letter day for this place :( Very sorry to hear that Rob.

You leave a great legacy in your state of the art web site, and a mountain of advice and setup tips for new people to learn from. I am very greatful for everything you've done. After all, it was your invite that lead me here in the first place.

It's ashame your leaving kikz just like et your post on the ausgamers forum is wat got me into this league. Anyways thx for the good times and yeh always racing at 8.30 is a pain it be better if it was 6 or 7 in my opinion

It seems people are making assumptions about me doing work on my site without first checking if it's something I'm willing to do.

Heh, yeah I was wondering when someone was going to ask how that was going to be done. Cause I knew the site development had basically stopped.

I have to also take slight annoyance that you say it's 'your' site. It came about because my web development skills only go so far, and you as a professional put your hand up to take it to the next level. To say it's your site smacks of 'well I built it, I'll do as I please, and you guys can use it because I let you.' You don't feel that the site should belong to us all? Yes it's your work on the back end, but you don't feel that anyone else has contributed at all?

That's like saying everyone in facebook makes it what it is, so facebook belongs to the people.

It's his site unless he makes the code/data/files available to others as far as I'm concerned.

We all make it what it is, but he owns it. It's ultimately up to him what the future of it is.

Nothing stopping him just turning it off either if he so chooses.

It is unfortunate how this has turned out, I really liked having you in the comp kikz. Getting the insight on how things 'should' be done (vs proper sims or real life) with car setups and things was always interesting. And for me anyways, it was always exciting racing against you.

I don't suppose you'd want to join the GP2 series? Being in a different time slot helps? Commitment is less of an issue I'd imagine in that too. Or has this whole affair tainted it too much for you?

EDIT:

And there goes the official site. Ah well

Yeah, that was always the chance. :\ Edited by mark84

I had considered switching to GP2 during the week if it were run on saturday night but ultimately i doubt it would have worked.

the site isn't down. it's mostly disabled. its disabled because the presence of ads means it's cannot run a reference to atomicmpc.com.au etc. I've interpretted that as no links to this site and no references to this site or any thing else that could cause a link between my site and the atomic brand owned by haymarket, including content present on this site or doing things such as scraping this site to get the forum logos to put in the driver pages and other. - and removing the disclaimer stating my site had nothing to do with atomicmpc.com.au etc.

ive long thought about these issues and I've always had the stance that I'll keep going as usual until I get a cease and desist letter from haymarket (which i didn't), until that point I figured they didn't care. but oh well.

I've sent lambo dumps of the results data.

the site isn't down. it's mostly disabled. its disabled because the presence of ads means it's cannot run a reference to atomicmpc.com.au etc. I've interpretted that as no links to this site and no references to this site or any thing else that could cause a link between my site and the atomic brand owned by haymarket, including content present on this site or doing things such as scraping this site to get the forum logos to put in the driver pages and other. - and removing the disclaimer stating my site had nothing to do with atomicmpc.com.au etc.

You did all this so you could keep the ads?

30 cents a month... I would've paid you $1 a month to keep it as it was! :P

Bit of a shame, having it with all the data/results stuff would've been a good thing (imo) to show on your resume :\

Everyone free 8PM tonight? I'm thinking of having the GP2 Prologue Race. Will be a test run for the series, and it will let us race before we begin the season proper, as more work needs to be done.

This includes:

- Do we use qualifying points?

- Set a concrete date and time

- Timetable: Do we follow the same as GP1, and miss out on first few tracks to keep up with them? Or do we start from Melbourne and finish later?

- Teams need to be organised

I'll set up a ventrilo server for it today. If it indeed runs tonight (which I'm hoping it will, and that I can make it haha), I'll be sending out the invites. Fingers crossed that goes well

Everyone free 8PM tonight? I'm thinking of having the GP2 Prologue Race. Will be a test run for the series, and it will let us race before we begin the season proper, as more work needs to be done.

This includes:

- Timetable: Do we follow the same as GP1, and miss out on first few tracks to keep up with them? Or do we start from Melbourne and finish later?

I'll set up a ventrilo server for it today. If it indeed runs tonight (which I'm hoping it will, and that I can make it haha), I'll be sending out the invites. Fingers crossed that goes well

Isn't today still the old format? If so I thought I'd be putting in my last GP1 race.

*confused*

This includes:

Isn't today still the old format? If so I thought I'd be putting in my last GP1 race.

*confused*

I dunno :-P

You can race in GP1 tonight either way. That's why I said it'd be a test run, not the real thing haha

Yo GP2 guys - be aware that we have just one available spot tonight in GP1 (Macca that assumes you're doing GP1 tonight). That's based on the GP1 driver list as it is now in the OP of that thread (plus Macca).

Edited by Flouncy

Yo GP2 guys - be aware that we have just one available spot tonight in GP1 (Macca that assumes you're doing GP1 tonight). That's based on the GP1 driver list as it is now in the OP of that thread (plus Macca).

Yep, confirming my farewell race :P

(from GP1 that is)

Anyone else? Might call it off it we can't get enough people (2 isn't enough haha)

If possible, say here whether if you can do tonight (other than fallen19) before 7:30

Edited by nobody813

sora's had to pull out of GP1 tonight - so an additional spot is available.

Edited by Flouncy

i just ate the biggest serving of silverside with mash spuds and cheese sauce , i feel so fat , so no not me not tonight

sounds good nuke , if caelum dosent mind ?

still dont care what car~

i just ate the biggest serving of silverside with mash spuds and cheese sauce , i feel so fat , so no not me not tonight

sounds good nuke , if caelum dosent mind ?

still dont care what car~

Righto. We've got 2 so far haha Edited by nobody813