Sign in to follow this  
blackmancer

Secondary HDD behaviour

Hi, an odd thing I notice with a secondary HDD I have plugged in. It seems it is required to spin up so I can open Opera and while playing BFBC2 I notice when I join a server I get a slight pause in the game while my secondary HDD spins up. Got no idea why access to a data drive is required to do these things, there's no pagefile etc on it. Its kinda annoying really, but hey its probably some Microsoft thing so I shouldn't be surprised. Suggestions? I don't think anyone will have an idea though.

Control panel > power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > hard disk > turn off hard disk after > never.

Control panel > power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > hard disk > turn off hard disk after > never.

Makes no difference if it is a "Green" drive where the firmware controls spindown still worth doing if not a green drive.

Still the OP is right, weird windows wants to spin up the drive if it is not accessing it for the programme running.

All I can think of is there is a paging file, or temp folder of some sort on the other drive. Or just Windows being it's usual peculiar self.

No problemo.

I was getting pissed off with it when I made the switch from XP to the Windows 7 beta a number of years ago.

Noticed every time I wanted to access any non-boot drives after a period of time I could hear them spin up while I waited for it to respond.

So I went on a treasure hunt to work out how to stop them going to sleep. :p