Sign in to follow this  
fredzfrog

socket 1155 v 2011, is it worth the money?

hi all

so im looking to upgrade over the next week, and im looking at getting a i7-2700k.

But seing the 3820, and it being hex core, it looks tempting, but is with a mobo, about $90 more.

Is the performance/upgradeability worth it? More power? Is socket 1155 a dead end?

3820 is quad core fredz.

http://ark.intel.com/products/63698/Intel-...che-3_60-GHz%29

Hex core you are looking at the Intel i7-3930K in the socket 2011 format and expect to pay at least $580.00 for it.

Socket 2011 is not a replacement for socket 1155, it is the high end enthusiast socket and is basically a replacement for socket 1366.

And no not worth the upgrade as Ivy Bridge is just around the corner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_%2...ktop_processors

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=46618

i will assume this is for gaming

clock for clock 3820 and 2700k are about the same performance wise

there will be a new 22nm cpu released for 1155 any day now and the z77 mb are already out

1155 is simply better value being cheaper up front it also runs cooler using less power and typically overclocks a little bit better

2011 has the option of extra ram and more than 4 cpu cores which isnt really needed for gaming at the moment it also has extra pci-e lanes if you wanted to run three or four video cards together

Well I'll start by stating the obvious, you know that you can overclock the 2700k but not the 3820 right?

As for 1155 being a dead end, Ivy Bridge is releasing on 1155 within the next three weeks so I'd say a big fat no to that. Im waiting to have a look at Ivy's perfomance and overclockability before I upgrade my rig.

I am in a similar boat to you Fredz. I will be upgrading from my socket 1366 i7 920 very shortly.

But I am waiting for the new 1155 Ivys and then I will grab one of those. They are definitely best bang for buck, especially if the computers main purpose is gaming.

Well I'll start by stating the obvious, you know that you can overclock the 2700k but not the 3820 right?

i think the 3820 has a locked multi but you can still get a fair way with a bclk oc on 2011 plenty of people get around 4.5-4.8ghz with them

i think the 3820 has a locked multi but you can still get a fair way with a bclk oc on 2011 plenty of people get around 4.5-4.8ghz with them

Knew it was locked multi. Didn't know you could up the bclk, thought they just bumped themselves up 200mhz with Turbo.

Still reckon an Ivy or vanilla Sandy is the saner way to go unless you need hex core, which as aliali pointed out you need to get a K or X chip, or I suppose a Xeon but that's probably defeating the purpose a little.

Edited by ReapermanRS

thanks fellas, ok, i'm not looking at overclocking. I didnt know the 3820 was quad. sorry bout that.

Looking at keeping this for 5ish years. as long as there is a decentish 1155 upgradepath available, I guess i'll stick with that.

Anything else I should know?

Anything else I should know?

5 years is a bit of a stretch especially without overclocking

there isnt much of an upgrade path with anything at the moment the next intel cpu almost out will only be a little faster and then in another year intel will release something new and probably ditch 1155

overclocking is seriously easy and worthwhile now with just a half decent quiet hsf you can go from 3.4 to ~4.2-4.6ghz just by changing the cpu multi and perhaps upping the v a bit its easily the best upgrade available for 1155

My last couple of pc's have lasted that long, so witha little updating, it should be fine. Sure, at the end, the res's of newer games will be low, but thats what happens. :)

yea its expensive but its a proper octocore none of this bulldozer modules shit.

You'd expect that from Intel. Thats why I only have and prefer Intel processors over AMD. But Ivy Bridge doesnt seem to be getting good thoughts.. Interesting to see what happens throughout the year..

yea its expensive but its a proper octocore none of this bulldozer modules shit.

You'd expect that from Intel. Thats why I only have and prefer Intel processors over AMD. But Ivy Bridge doesnt seem to be getting good thoughts.. Interesting to see what happens throughout the year..

Its what happens when theres not much competition, R&D stagnates.