Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Genders

Q6600 - Would you bother?

Hey Guys,

I have a Q6600 B3 @ stock speed. It's cooled by a H50 with push / pull 120mm fans. Silverstone 9 fin blades at 1200rpm pushing (apparently) 53cfms. It's running stock voltage of 1.325v in BIOS and CPU Z says 1.28v.

The fans on the H50 are push / pull into the case not sucking out of the case.

Temps sit about 40 to 45 c idle and up to 60 to 65 c gaming in BF3. I can feel a lot of heat coming out the top of my case. I have my BIOS set to warn me at 70 c.

I can't afford a massive upgrade of CPU, MB and RAM to Ivy Bridge. I don't have the money and I have a baby on the way. Plus in two weeks I'm on holiday for a week.

I just game, that's all I do.

I've seen a Q9300 going for $200 NZD - $158 AUD. Also I'm moving my computer to another part of the house which is open plan, tiled and a lot cooler. Checked it, it's about 4 c cooler.

Would you bother upgrading to another CPU in a dead line?

just fount this:

http://lly316.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/core...-benchmark.html

don't know how much diff it'd make in bf3 (which i guess would be the most important reason for updating :P)

Yeah, seen that. It's seems to be about 10% better on average. Pure figures:

+ 100mhz faster

+ Uses less wattage

+ Uses less volts

+ Additional benefits of architecture

+ 10w cooler (maybe double for B3)

+ Faster FSB

+ Smaller construction

The only downsides

- 7.5x multiplier vs 9.0

- 6MB cache, really not much difference I read.

It will basically be my last upgrade on this only MB for a long, long time...Some decent games coming up that I feel my old rig, even with a 560 it, will struggle with.

In BF3 I stupidly typed 'Render.DrawFps 1" and saw my FPS...arrrgh...Hasn't really bothered me, but I'm running HIGH everything, MEDIUM shadows, no AA / AF and seem to float between 25 to 50 fps

My Q6600 B3 runs hot, but my rig has never skipped a beat and I happily played through Crysis 1 and 2, Bioshock 1 and 2 and The Witcher and BF3 with it no problem...

Maybe my cooling set up is wrong? My front 140 fan is only spinning at 500rpm. It's rated for 1000rpm, it's plugged into my motherboard. Will plug that directly into my PSU and see the difference. The H50 is push / pull into the case with the top two 140s drawing out. Maybe some interference is going on there?

Maybe you can find someone with an unwanted Q9550 or Q9650.

Yeah, hopefully someone here might have one?

My local www.trademe.co.nz has a Q9300 going.

Ebay is packed full of Q9xxx series, but it's all in US dollars. Might have a go.

Is overclocking your Q6600 a possibility, rather than wasting cash on a marginally better CPU.

My Q6600 ran at 3.8GHz for almost 4 years. Yours is a G3 but I'd imagine 3.2-3.4Ghz would be well within reach.

you could probably even improve performance just by changing the multiplier. you mentioned you are using 9*266 try 6*400 same cpu speed, higher bus speed.

this works for higher clocks too, although will depend if your board likes a 400+fsb. I'd say try 7x400 or 8x400 if it does, and check temps carefully :)

I'd reverse the fans on your rad so your exhaust the hot air, not heat your chassis with it. Overall I don't think it will change temps much for the CPU, but may reduce overall temperature a bit.

anything above 30-35 for idle seems a little high though, you might get better temps if you try and remount the block (if contact can be improved).

Edited by p0is0n

I have a virtually new socket 775 q9400 at home (could be a q8400 . . . ) its at 2.66Ghz anyway.

Will definitely OC at least to 3.2Ghz.

If your interested . . .

Hey man, just a quick thought as i read this, but your temps look rather high, much higher than i would have thought a H50 would go (but this is an uneducated guess).

My rig is essentially the same as yours. I'm running the Q6600 at 3ghz (as per my sig below). Biggest improvement for me was gained from upping my RAM (which you already have plenty of) and installing OS and BF3 on an SSD. I think your rig is still fine for gaming man.

You could probably just give your q6600 a little bump in clock speed :P and maybe consider an SSD. I couldnt tell you what FPS I get in BF3 (I havent bothered running FRAPS) but it appears smooth to me on Very High/Ultra Settings (cant remmeber exactly) and loads take all of 10 seconds if that to get into a game - thats even with my SSD bottlenecked on SATA2 :P

edit: sorry gotta run, but will get back to you tonight after i run some FRAPS etc

Edited by martyr

I'd keep what you got and invest that money in to new architecture. The Q6600 should still be able to run that game just fine. Bit of overclocking couldn't hurt.

I've had an old Intel e6300 1.86, clocked to 3ghz and it ran the game well

Hey man, just a quick thought as i read this, but your temps look rather high, much higher than i would have thought a H50 would go (but this is an uneducated guess).

My rig is essentially the same as yours. I'm running the Q6600 at 3ghz (as per my sig below). Biggest improvement for me was gained from upping my RAM (which you already have plenty of) and installing OS and BF3 on an SSD. I think your rig is still fine for gaming man.

You could probably just give your q6600 a little bump in clock speed :P and maybe consider an SSD. I couldnt tell you what FPS I get in BF3 (I havent bothered running FRAPS) but it appears smooth to me on Very High/Ultra Settings (cant remmeber exactly) and loads take all of 10 seconds if that to get into a game - thats even with my SSD bottlenecked on SATA2 :P

edit: sorry gotta run, but will get back to you tonight after i run some FRAPS etc

Yeah, I've got a B3 @ stock. What tool do you use to measure you temps?

I've got:

- Real Temp GT 3.70

Got 33, 33, 32 and 42(?)

- CPUID Hardware Monitor 1.18 (older)

Got 44, 43, 42, 42

What to believe eh? Room is relatively cool.

I've read you want cool air going in to your case? I have the PC-K62 case. It's got a 140mm 1000rpm fan in the front sucking in, two 140mm 1000rpm fans at the top sucking out and at the rear I have the H50 with two 120mm fans in push / pull, 1200rpm, 9 fin @ 53cfms sucking in. I may have disturbed the flow of the case?

I've screwed down the H50 mounts as tight as they will got. All have made the frame of meet the motherboard and the teeth of the cooler and the frame are all lined up. Maybe it's the paste? I'm using Arctic Cooling MX-3 Premium.

North bridge is 37 degrees C and the case internal temp is 25 degrees C. My 560 ti is at 31 degrees C idle.

The Q6600 is a beast though, I'm sure it will handle the temps at stock and in BF3?

This is interesting as I myself have got a q6600 running @ stock + xigmatek red scorpion cpu cooler for my second pc, accompanied by a Ga-p35-ds3p, 4 x 1gb ddr2 800mhz ram and 9600gt 1gb. I tried tweaking around the BIOS a few days ago to OC the processor to no avail after watching a tutorial (didnt have much time then to really go deep into OCing. Apparently, im a newbie). Temps were reaching up to 70 degrees C idle, cause the cpu cooler wasnt on tight. I hope I can work on this sometime soon cause Ive been occupied with real life lately. Id be watching this thread and sharing my thoughts and comments. :)

Edited by cohmoddersolo

his replaced the noisy stock fan with quiet 1200rpm fans

with low speed fans its not much better than air with the same fans

I use real temp its the most accurate from what i've tested.

33, 33, 32 & 42 sounds about right, sometimes 1 core runs a bit hot, but its sometimes also a crappy temp probe. if all 3 are about 33 assume the other is too.

Thats a bit cooler than the 40-45c idle you mentioned before :) Even my CPU temps ranging from 31-35c right now.

I say try and push your clock speed a little.

Regarding air flow, you do want cool air coming in, which you've got at the front as your whole front panel is mesh too.

Exhausting hot air out the back may improve this flow and help the front draw in more air due to the difference in pressure.

Exhausting out the top also helps this, as your case is constantly sucking fresh air through the front and out the top and rear.

Sucking in from the front and rear and out of the top could also work but you may find it traps more pockets of hot air in the chassis.

The only way you'll probably be able to tell is by testing it.

Edited by p0is0n

You may also want to reseat that block, as those load temps are way high, and there may be too much thermal paste on the cpu. Though as Dasa said, if you are using low cfm fans that could be your problem.

But definitely play around with the q6600, if you can get it to 3 or 3.2 you'll see quite an improvement.

The q6600 are one of the all time great Intel cpu's so don't go and blow the budget on a new rig,

At 3.0ghz they really come alive, the biggest limitation is the board architecture/ram that s775 is stuck on but don't let that get you down to much, the q6600 will have no problem doing what you want.

FTR I have had both q6600 and q9300 back to back and both clocked the same and performed the same (q9300 was a bit cooler running)

GL

Thanks for all the replies.

I've moved my computer into my lounge which is open planned and tiled. It's 20 degrees C downstairs, using a digital thermometer and upstairs my HRV ventilation system panel says it's 23 degrees C.

Running at stock 2.4GHz with all thermal throttling off and stock voltage of 1.325v bios (1.28v in CPUID?) my system was left on for 1 hour (watched Watching Dead!) it reported:

38 / 38 / 39 / 39 idle using hardware monitor. Real Temp reported 32 / 33 / 33 / 34. I haven't configured Real Temp yet.

Tcase (62.2 degrees C) is the temp measurement of the probe between the cores and the heat spreader. This confused me, but upon further reading this is the maximum the probe should reach. My CPU has been above that at stock...

This post seems to explain the TJmax well.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574775

This has some good descriptions as well.

http://www.techreaction.net/2009/10/14/gui...l-temperatures/

So I did a round last night in BF3 with the computer in the cooler lounger. I got hardware monitor results of 57 / 58 / 58 / 59.

I've read that my TJmax for a Q6600 B3 is 80 degrees C. I've disabled all throttling, though have my BIOS set to warn me if I reach 70 degrees C.

I'll have a play with my Q6600.

I know I can get 3.2GHz at 1.325v easily.

NOTE: I can turn back on CPU thermal monitor 2 and set a warning of 75 degrees C and let the BIOS choke the volts / core speed if it gets too high.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-X48.../208013?page=41

Hmmm...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244665-2...ers-q6600-specs

So my stock results are similar to some people overclocking?

I have a cooling issue.

^ Yea that seems a bit hot, I get the same temps with 1.375v @ 3.2, and considering your using a H50 and I'm using a Hyper 212+ something must be wrong :s

As others have said check to make sure you've got proper airflow, I would suggest moving one of those exhaust fans to the front intake, and having the H50 exhausting (although it looks like the PC-K62 can only have one intake). It's easy to sometimes mount fans the wrong way round, recheck the thermal paste and mounting of your cooler, and maybe put some higher cfm fans on your rad.

Goodluck!

Hi,

Got my Q6600 running at 3GHz. 9x333mhz @ set 1.325v, the BIOS called it "normal" and CPU Z says 1.28v. Now with it set at 1.325v I have CPU Z saying 1.30v to 1.31v.

Q6600 at idle is now in Hardware monitor 42 / 43 / 43 / 43. I've also put +0.05v into my RAM.

Ran 30mins of blended Prime95. Got to the 25mins mark and rocketed up to 68 / 69 / 68 / 68.

Haven't tried BF3 yet.

Definitely a cooling issue?

NOTE: Set ram to 2.40B which is 800mhz. Not too sure what ratio that is, 5:2?

his replaced the noisy stock fan with quiet 1200rpm fans

with low speed fans its not much better than air with the same fans

This is the fan I'm using:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?...193&area=en

1200rpm

53.24 CFM

1.51m3 / MIN

You know you can safely run that Q6600 at well above 70c? So you still have shitloads of headroom.

Also, I didn't read the whole thread, but make sure whichever temp program you are using sets the TJMax correctly for the Q6600, from memory some programs will set TJMax 95 and others 100, you'll need to find the intel spec'd TJMax for the Q6600 and set it properly in your temp monitor.

Cheers.

Hey Nuke,

TJMax for a B3 Q6600 is 80 degrees C. Tcase is 62.2 Degrees C. I've set my warning to 80 degrees C in BIOS.

I'll use Realtemp as I can set that up with the TJmax. When I do put 80 in my temps drop by 10 degress C!?

Basically if I burn out my Q6600, I'll have to by another or upgrade...which is expensive for me at the moment.

I wouldn't worry about burning it out. It should be a little cooler than it is, but that could be the amount of thermal paste used, or just a hot chip. if you can get 3.2GHz running under 70C it's good enough. My Q6600 used to run at around 70C when it was running on the stock heat sink (stock clocks), so they can definitely run at that heat just fine. Remember, Intel assume people will be chucking stock-cooled chips in a M-ITX case with no fans. By all means go for a cooler temperature if that is what you want, but 2-3 degrees here and there isn't doing anything for the life expectancy or overclocking potential of the chip.

I wouldn't worry about burning it out. It should be a little cooler than it is, but that could be the amount of thermal paste used, or just a hot chip. if you can get 3.2GHz running under 70C it's good enough. My Q6600 used to run at around 70C when it was running on the stock heat sink (stock clocks), so they can definitely run at that heat just fine. Remember, Intel assume people will be chucking stock-cooled chips in a M-ITX case with no fans. By all means go for a cooler temperature if that is what you want, but 2-3 degrees here and there isn't doing anything for the life expectancy or overclocking potential of the chip.

I'm just a paranoid android...

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to give it a hammering this weekend at 3GHz and see how it gets on.

I'm back...

It's been a almost a week. I'm running at 3.00GHz = 333mhz x 9 (actual 2997mhz) and I've noticed a difference straight away. BF3 is playing a lot better. I'm now up in the hight 40 / 50 FPS on average with spikes up into the 70 / 80 FPS when not much is on screen. When it gets heavy I'm not dipping down into the low 20 FPS range any more.

Temperatures on my over clock are stable. Idle on the CPU is 40 to 43 degrees C and during gaming it's up in the 58 to 62 degrees range. I could fiddle with the cooling set up a bit.

My volts were set to NORMAL in bios which should be 1.325v, in CPU Z it was reading as 1.28v. Now with it actually manually set to 1.325v in CPU Z it's reading 1.3 / 1.31v.

wow 62c thats not too shabby :)

got to remember bf3 is running shit atm - if they ever get around to fixing it up a little (or drivers) frame rate should increase.. im still getting the dips to under 40fps with my crossfired 5870s