Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Genders

Q6600 - Would you bother?

Hi Corky,

Yeah, understand that. I dip down low still, just not as much as before. It's definitely the over clock that's upped the performance.

Nice work on your OC mate. Good result and only stock volts. Temps seem good too.

If you're after any additional performance, try this.

400x8 FSB

1.375v

Make sure your RAM speed is locked in too, not a multiplier of FSB Speed, and hope your mobo likes 400FSB. Most are good for 450+

I ran my q6600 at 425*9 (RAM @ 850) for over 3 years no issues. ~1.45-1.475v and a TRUE120.

Nice work on your OC mate. Good result and only stock volts. Temps seem good too.

400x8 FSB

1.375v

Make sure your RAM speed is locked in too, not a multiplier of FSB Speed, and hope your mobo likes 400FSB. Most are good for 450+

I ran my q6600 at 425*9 (RAM @ 850) for over 3 years no issues. ~1.45-1.475v and a TRUE120.

Current is:

3GHz @ 1.325v

RAM multiply is 2.40B set to 800MHz stock timing of 5-5-5-18 2T

Put another 0.05v into the RAM

Using the same I get BSOD at 3.2GHz using 800x4 with RAM set to 2.00A = 800Mhz

400x8 FSB

1.375v

Current is:

3GHz @ 1.325v

RAM multiply is 2.40B set to 800MHz stock timing of 5-5-5-18 2T

Put another 0.05v into the RAM

Using the same I get BSOD at 3.2GHz using 800x4 with RAM set to 2.00A = 800Mhz

ok cool, IMO it could be one of two things, either your mobo doesn't like 400+ FSB or you need more juice. Can try bumping up the voltage if you need more powah up to say 1.38-1.4v but then you need to keep an eye on temps (as more power means higher temps). If you still get a BSOD then just drop the FSB a little, like 9x360, then increase FSB from there.

of course, this is all unnecessary if you're happy with 3.0GHz, as its only going to net you another 10-15% performance at most :)

EDIT: forgot to mention, at FSB 400+ you might also need to bump up the NB voltage..

Edited by p0is0n

Thanks for this thread man, it should really help me as I am in your situation as well. Currently I'm running fine at 2.8gHz but it seemed that whenever I tried pushing it further I got BSOD or just simply repeating reboots.

Things I hadn't tried are pushing the voltage higher and locking the RAM, my RAM is fairly old so I don't think it likes the overclocks. :p

Would you bother upgrading to another CPU in a dead line?

Is the Q6600 not cutting the gaming mustard?

I don't have the money and I have a baby on the way. Plus in two weeks I'm on holiday for a week.

Basically if I burn out my Q6600, I'll have to by another or upgrade...which is expensive for me at the moment.

I'm just a paranoid android...

In that situation, personally I wouldn't be considering any hardware upgrades, would be surprised if your 6600 doesn't last another 12 months @ 80C :)

P.S. I'm saving for a home loan deposit, so I'm just turning the detail down or running lower res to get by for now :)

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy

Hi i have a 775 socket motherboard. My e8600 that i use to over clock is not happy cant overclock at all now. my windows 7 system score say my slowest component is the cpu then the 8gb of 1333mhz ram.

I would love to get my hands on a cheap fast 775 socket cpu.

Let me know how you go

From memory my Q6600 B3 would hover around 85-90C under load @ 3ghz+ with a deadly heatpipe OEM cooler, but I'd bought the chip 2nd hand the previous owner had lapped the IHS and didn't do a very good job so it wasn't making proper contact.

Edit, oh I already replied.

yep you bumped an old thread

understandably easy to do though when you only have too look to the bottom of the page to see posts almost a year old...

yep you bumped an old thread

understandably easy to do though when you only have too look to the bottom of the page to see posts almost a year old...

Wow this forum doesn't move at all! August starts in the 6th row down :)

Hard to justify moving from a core 2 quad if you can get 3ghz... According to toms hardware CPU charts you should only move if it gives you 3 levels higher performance, and I agree so I spent on an SSD instead and it's gr8

Edited by oscarcharliezulu

Wow, this thread is still going?

Anyway, I caved in and picked up a cheap Q9550 E0 processor which is over clocked with a mild 3.2GHz with no extra voltage. It's running a 400 FSB x 8 multiplier. I had spare cash. I can't currently afford to upgrade my computer. I have a new two month old daughter and a wife at home. Now on single salary. Might have to do some late night releases / on call for the company IT department...

Positives:

New CPU, new life to my old '06 rig.

Cooler running

Smaller chip

Overclocked

More L2 Cache

More speed

Better performance

Still have my Q6600 B3 in it's original box + cooler.

Had the Q9550 E0 installed and running 3.2GHz fine now for over four months. Will eventually sell the Q6600.

Cheers

GENDERS

In regards to 'wow this is still going', I think many of us had the Q6600, and hold it quite dear to our hearts, hence the interest. I think it was awesome; probably the most long lived CPU of the modern era; I had mine up until early 2011, (and was getting random offers to buy it on here when I mentioned my new prospective build!).

Personally I think you made the wrong decision replacing it for another dead line as per your initial questioning, but I guess it was a pretty small investment that'll eke out another year maybe.

I know it's dead but this article changed my mind about upgrading my computer.

I have a Core i5 750 at 4.0Ghz and I was looking forward to the 4th gen Core i7 as I was going to buy it with a whole new system. But after reading this, I can't think of why I need too. So I bought myself an SSD now and I am enjoying super fast boot speeds.

I treated myself and bought a Core i5 3570k. I'm now selling my older X48 platform with two Intel Core 2 Quads, a Q6600 B3 and a a Q9550 E0.