Sign in to follow this  
sanserif

New rig, wireless card can't see networks (Z77, TP-link PCI card)

Hey guys, sorry to end my lurking with a help-me post, but I am bugged. well bugged.

I had a flagrant system death and built a pronto new rig, on an Asus P8Z77-M motherboard. Doesn't have wifi so I filled the 1 PCI slot with a TP-Link TL-WN851ND card. Installed Windows 7 Ult x64, and everything runs fine except the card, which seems to be installed but can't detect any wireless networks, either using windows or the tp-link utility. manual and website aren't much help, but I guess no wifi data is being transmitted because the led is flashing slowly. The system is pretty plain, 3 sata devices and the video card and it's not limited to our router, it can't see any of the signals that my underpowered phone antenna can pick u, which makes me doubt conflicts or weird incompatibility with the routers. Before I take it back as a dud though, is there something else I should try?

Thank you

Edited by sanserif

What kind of WLAN are you running (a/b/g/n)?

I recently put a TPLink card into my machine and found I couldn't connect to my wireless g network, swapping it out for wireless-n and the card could connect. They claim to support wireless-g but it didn't work for me. In saying that I was able to list all the available networks but unable to connect so is likely a different issue.

tp-link utility.

99% probability this is the issue. The one time I installed it I had issues finding networks. Uninstalled it and windows had no issue at all finding and connecting.

99% probability this is the issue. The one time I installed it I had issues finding networks. Uninstalled it and windows had no issue at all finding and connecting.

I only installed the utility after I couldn't see any networks using Windows wireless config. I've uninstalled it again just in case and still no go :(

The drivers on the website seem to be the same version as my disk, but I've tried both anyway, still no.

I only installed the utility after I couldn't see any networks using Windows wireless config. I've uninstalled it again just in case and still no go :(

The drivers on the website seem to be the same version as my disk, but I've tried both anyway, still no.

Oo bugger, then it is something else. I assume you have fitted both antennas? And you have also checked device manager to see if it is showing up under network adapters and is installed properly?

Sorry to bump, but yeah no devices unknown or disabled in dev manager, it shows up under network adapters as perfectly functional, windows expects to connect via wireless it just can't see any networks. I was hoping there would be some known regional channel thing or some obscure setting that turns off radio and doesn't tell the system. You know, the kind of things you turn to Atomicans for. I tried some alternate antennae even, no love.

So next question, apparently I need to contact TP-link to get my card recognised as DOA. Has anyone else had to do this for networking gear to Umart? I'd really rather skip this step because I can't find a local phone number and don't want to make a $15 phone call to possibly be able to return a $25 card.

Though I seem to wasting a lot of time on this problem to avoid wasting a little bit of money, don't I? So failing all this, can someone recommend a budget N card that doesn't suck?

Sorry to bump, but yeah no devices unknown or disabled in dev manager, it shows up under network adapters as perfectly functional, windows expects to connect via wireless it just can't see any networks. I was hoping there would be some known regional channel thing or some obscure setting that turns off radio and doesn't tell the system. You know, the kind of things you turn to Atomicans for. I tried some alternate antennae even, no love.

So next question, apparently I need to contact TP-link to get my card recognised as DOA. Has anyone else had to do this for networking gear to Umart? I'd really rather skip this step because I can't find a local phone number and don't want to make a $15 phone call to possibly be able to return a $25 card.

Though I seem to wasting a lot of time on this problem to avoid wasting a little bit of money, don't I? So failing all this, can someone recommend a budget N card that doesn't suck?

Personally I would have just gone out and bought another one, even to the same make and model. :P

However things to check on the PC. Go to the wireless adapters config page and make sure "802.11n Channel width for band 2.4" is set to auto or 20/40Mhz and not 20Mhz only. Same for "802.11 Channel Width for band 5.2", if present.

Also check 802.11n mode is enabled and wireless mode is set to the highest, either 802.11 a/b/g, 802.11 a/b/g/n or 802.11 b/g/n.

I just installed that exact card into a mates XP machine and it installed and worked without a hitch. I'd say you have a dud.

I'm having the exact same problem, albeit with a TP-Link TL-WN751ND instead of the TL-WN851ND. The rest of the setup is exactly the same - both motherboard and OS. I've tried using a D-Link DWL-G510 instead as well, but to no avail.

I've noticed that the card is present where network cards can be disabled and enabled (afraid I don't know the name of it) but doesn't show in Windows wireless config. USB Wifi adpaters seem to work fine. I also managed to get a feeble connection to networks in the house with the problematic card running Ubuntu from my disc drive. I cannot fathom what the problem might be.

To the OP: Did you find a solution or did you end up getting a different card? If so, can you tell me which one so I'll know what works? Cheers!

I'm having the exact same problem, albeit with a TP-Link TL-WN751ND instead of the TL-WN851ND. The rest of the setup is exactly the same - both motherboard and OS.

Ouch wonder if it is some compatibility issue with the mobo or the only PCI slot it has?

Hi Guys,

I am having the exact same issue with same motherboard, wifi card and OS.

Anybody found a solution yet?

Driver installs, I can see the card in device manager etc. but cant find any networks (while I know there are at least 30 in good range).

I also notice a red cross through the card even though it is enabled (it is not grayed out) also tried with firewall switched of but no luck.

Hope anybody find out whats wrong and how to fix it.

Hi Guys,

I am having the exact same issue with same motherboard, wifi card and OS.

Anybody found a solution yet?

Driver installs, I can see the card in device manager etc. but cant find any networks (while I know there are at least 30 in good range).

I also notice a red cross through the card even though it is enabled (it is not grayed out) also tried with firewall switched of but no luck.

Hope anybody find out whats wrong and how to fix it.

Tried the card in another computer, no problems at all.

Tried another PCI wifi card in this one, same issue.

Definately a mobo PCI slot issue.

Gonna check with ASUS if there is a fix.

just an FYI, same board here and had the same problem. a BIOS update was released on the 14th of june that says "2.Improve the compatibility of PCI devices."

It fixed the issue for me, so give it a try.

I have the same issue. Similar hardware. Network card is identical.

I'm running a dual boot xp/win7 64. I had a wireless G card in. Removed it from device manager etc, fitted the TP link card, installed drivers etc. The card works fine on XP, but not on Win7. The old card worked without issue, just wanted to have the higher speed of broadband that I now have available to me. Funny thing is, if I put the old card back in. Win 7 Still doesn't see any wifi networks. I'm unsire of what has happened and if anyone else has come across the same issue manifesting itself like this? Working on XP, but not win 7. All drivers are correct for each version of windows. Sucks big time as I don't want to reinstall Win7 to get around this issue as I'd have about 24 hours of installing software to do :(

Any help would be great.

I have the same issue. Similar hardware. Network card is identical.

I'm running a dual boot xp/win7 64. I had a wireless G card in. Removed it from device manager etc, fitted the TP link card, installed drivers etc. The card works fine on XP, but not on Win7. The old card worked without issue, just wanted to have the higher speed of broadband that I now have available to me. Funny thing is, if I put the old card back in. Win 7 Still doesn't see any wifi networks. I'm unsire of what has happened and if anyone else has come across the same issue manifesting itself like this? Working on XP, but not win 7. All drivers are correct for each version of windows. Sucks big time as I don't want to reinstall Win7 to get around this issue as I'd have about 24 hours of installing software to do :(

Any help would be great.

After doing lots of research i resolved the issue. It was this that helped fix the issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...51-42dfbb9351c2