Josho

What do i need to climb kilimanjaro

Hi all,

Tossing up trekking up kilimanjaro for charity.

Currently it's up in the air and may or may not happen.

But while the details get nutted out and possibly approved or poo poo'd i figured i'd wrap my head around what i need.

I've found this list:

http://www.climbingkilimanjaro.com/docs/mt...l-checklist.pdf

But the high altitude gear has me umming and ahh'ing over what i actually need.

The outer wear stuff means thin and wind proof? or more like a ski jacket?

Im thinking lots of thermal layers and less bulk > big bulky things?

also trying to do a rough calc of how much the gear alone will cost me.

Im thinking $2k or is it likely to be more?

Brands that people know are good?

or sites i can read to help me on my journey?

Like i said it's all theory at the moment. Hopefully fingers crossed that the stars align and i get a crack at that rather large hunk of land jutting into the sky.

Any thing i should consider etc let me know.

cheers

Josho

Lol yeah I'll have some porters with me on the trek.

But hopefully they dont say that to me. That'd freak me the hell out.

but honestly i have NFI about hiking a mountain. Never thought i'd be possibly doing something like this.

have you climbed any mountains before? How fit are you?

my thoughts exactly, you don't just go and climb a mountain like that...

People can get off the couch and hit the summit of Everest now-a-days, Kilimanjaro should be fine.

'

People can get off the couch and hit the summit of Everest now-a-days, Kilimanjaro should be fine.

'

sorry... I forgot there was an escalator on the western face.

sorry... I forgot there was an escalator on the western face.

Sorry, didn't know we were only doing things the hard way now.

Guess Josho better buy some 20kg ankle weights and only walk on his hands then.

'

No haven't climbed a mountain before. But this is more a hike. The only drawback that i cant prepare for from what i can see is the altitude.

I'm pretty fit. So i don't think im at a disadvantage there. Gym most days, Krav Maga others and various other sports here and there.

Not sure about me trying to summit Everest... yet see how i like this IF it goes ahead. could fall through. I'm just doing the mental exercise of what will be needed and what to expect.

So gear wise gortex type stuff to stop the wind and rain and many layers of clothing for warmth. -9c was what i saw in some of the videos and sites i've checked of the summit. Not sure how much lower it can go there.

But looks like the whole hike will vary in temp and climate wildly.

You need a shit load of money, several blonds, and a big arsed yacht..............................

Oh wait, sorry, that's what you need if you want to have fun instead of climbing a mountain. :P

You need a shit load of money, several blonds, and a big arsed yacht..............................

Oh wait, sorry, that's what you need if you want to have fun instead of climbing a mountain. :P

If this goes ahead annnd If i get interviewed im so going to try and slide that in there somewhere.

I climbed Mount Kenya last year. It's similar to kilimanjaro, and but not quite as tall:

Posted Image

View of Batian from Lenana

You don't need to be super fit, and you don't need any specific skills. Climbing these sort of mountains is more a game of willpower.

In terms of what you'll need - not much. It's pretty difficult (i.e. requires a significant bribe) to get the required permits to do the climb outside of a tour these days, so unless you have friends who live there, your options are limited. If you book it through a travel agent or online, it'll cost you about $2,000 to $2,500 USD. This will get you a quality guide, and comfortable set up in terms of food and shelter (the package will come with a small army of sherpas). The more adventurous option in my opinion is to find a local guide at the base, though this will still cost you ~$1,000 USD depending on the time of year and your bargaining skills. It's also the more challenging option, as you'll be required to carry significantly more weight.

You won't need oxygen, or any climbing equipment. You'll need good boots with ankle support, light 4 season sleeping bag with liner, a comfortable rucksack with ~60L capacity, thermals, hiking pants, 2-3 t-shirts, fleece, windproof jacket (preferably gortex, or similar material), gloves and beanie. Depending on what tour you decide to take, you might also need a tent. Go for something that's light, with a high resistance to wind. All up, expect to pay between $1,000 - $2,000 AUD for gear depending on how long you want it to last. Get it from a reputable outdoors retailer (i.e. not Katmandu or BCF)

I can't stres the importance of anti-altitude sickness medication enough. I went without, and developed pneumonia as a result of my lungs weeping at high altitude. Most people don't need it, but if you're one of the unlucky ones, it really detracts from the experience.

If you need any general info or specific recommendations with gear, I'd be happy to help out.

Edited by Akamatsu

I climbed Mount Kenya last year. It's similar to kilimanjaro, and but not quite as tall:

Posted Image

View of Batian from Lenana

You don't need to be super fit, and you don't need any specific skills. Climbing these sort of mountains is more a game of willpower.

In terms of what you'll need - not much. It's pretty difficult (i.e. requires a significant bribe) to get the required permits to do the climb outside of a tour these days, so unless you have friends who live there, your options are limited. If you book it through a travel agent or online, it'll cost you about $2,000 to $2,500 USD. This will get you a quality guide, and comfortable set up in terms of food and shelter (the package will come with a small army of sherpas). The more adventurous option in my opinion is to find a local guide at the base, though this will still cost you ~$1,000 USD depending on the time of year and your bargaining skills. It's also the more challenging option, as you'll be required to carry significantly more weight.

You won't need oxygen, or any climbing equipment. You'll need good boots with ankle support, light 4 season sleeping bag with liner, a comfortable rucksack with ~60L capacity, thermals, hiking pants, 2-3 t-shirts, fleece, windproof jacket (preferably gortex, or similar material), gloves and beanie. Depending on what tour you decide to take, you might also need a tent. Go for something that's light, with a high resistance to wind. All up, expect to pay between $1,000 - $2,000 AUD for gear depending on how long you want it to last. Get it from a reputable outdoors retailer (i.e. not Katmandu or BCF)

I can't stres the importance of anti-altitude sickness medication enough. I went without, and developed pneumonia as a result of my lungs weeping at high altitude. Most people don't need it, but if you're one of the unlucky ones, it really detracts from the experience.

If you need any general info or specific recommendations with gear, I'd be happy to help out.

Yes the gear recommendations would definitely help.

Since you've done it - the stuff that worked and the stuff that was terrible and that i should avoid would be great.

i think due to insurance reasons they would want me on a pre booked guided one i think so i guess they provide tents etc?

also that's alot less $$ then i've been able to find anywhere. If you can point out the tour places that are around 2k i'd appreciate it.

Also the words "Pee Bottle" scare me and intrigue me :P

I heard from a mate who recently did the climb that they start the climb at night so you dont get freaked out by the size of the thing...

Hi all,

Tossing up trekking up kilimanjaro for charity.

Currently it's up in the air .... snip

Well of course it is ! Where else would it be ?! :P

Take some oxygen for the top bit.

Don't NEED oxygen for the top bit.. Only in a medical emergency would you need it up there. Not quite high-enough to cause those issues.

I think this is a highly achievable 'goal'.. It'll likely be tough, and the site I linked earlier showed that only about 45% of people get to the top, but if they take their time (8 days) they are much more likely.

Anyways.. Good luck Josho.. Hope you get to go and do it.

AD

I only suggested it cause of the link posted on the previous page said at the top the oxygen supply was only half what it normally is down lower.

I figure that maybe some one not accustomed to climbing / hiking these heights it might be a good idea :)

/ IANAC ;)

edit: In this link

Edited by eveln

You'll need some kool aid.

Geddit? Cause the mountain is cool and the aid is helpful?? Yeah? Yeah? Yeah?

ALRIGHT FINE.

A few friends have done Everest basecamp. Hell of a hard hike, dangerous terrain, sometimes foul weather and altitude issues.

Smart shoppers tip - buy your outer wear when you get there - the amount of gear that is dumped on the second-hand market when people leave is amaing, and you can get quality gear for half what you par here - and then dump it yourself on the way out means more space for souveniers!

Fit and hard are the basic requirements. If you can bear it, pack on a couple of kilos of fat before you go, insulation and reserves.

lol yeah i hope i get to go. would be amazing.

Also knowing it's for charity would help drive me i think. i want to be in that 45% damnit!

any ideas on how to market it? per 100ft climbed? if you donate over x i'll make sure to take a photo from the top with your logo etc?