nobody813

Steam and Source Coming to Linux Soon

Is l4d2 a lot more graphics intensive than hl2/cs:source games?

Sounds like it is, so cs:s should be able to run.

or have I got <this> aaf (arse about face)?

Not really. All Source games aren't really designed to be graphically intensive. Heck, the option to still use DX8.1 is still there on the graphic DX version select. I'd be more impress if they had ported a different game such as Dragon Age to Linux as that engine is quite graphically intensive.

While I do agree that they're not graphically intensive, it doesn't really matter, they're awesome games. Most Source games will get ported over Linux, and they're are already a few other games by other developers that will be making games for Steam for Linux in the near future

Whats with all these linux people complaining about the fact that these games will cost money...

I don't see them making any games of this quality.

.And they wonder why no one uses linux...

Whats with all these linux people complaining about the fact that these games will cost money...

I don't see them making any games of this quality.

.And they wonder why no one uses linux...

I like Linux, but am not one of those people who believe everything about it should be open source. And unfortunately many people behind it want it to be that way. Open source software can be good, but it tends to be developed by very small groups of people, and is often of lower quality than similar software developed by closed source businesses

For me at least, I'll be installing Ubuntu/Linux Mint as a secondary OS once again, but I'd like to have a choice. I do not want to be stuck with either open or closed. Take Java; Oracle Java was removed from Ubuntu a while ago, and was recently removed from Linux Mint. Minecraft used to work well on the older dists, but overall it runs like crap on this new open source Java. The latest version of it that are included with Ubuntu 12.04 derivatives work okay, but it's still not as good as it was with Oracle Java. And to install it, my word it's hard. It's been removed from the Software Centre, and installing it manually from Oracle is a pain in the ass (I'm not all that good with the more technical side of Linux, so struggle with these things)

So at the end of my ramble, I agree with you Hitman. There is a place for open and closed source software on any Linux OS, but users should be able to choose what they want, and not be stuck to what a minority think everyone should use

I don't agree with hitman.

I pay for software, I just don't pay Microsoft more than I need to, and that saves me a lot of money (Adobe & MSoffice) and security bugs.

Hitman comes across as if we (open source users) are cheapscapes looking foe a free "skate".

Not true.

The only difference I see is some of us (The GNU/Linux world wide community) are advocates of FOSS, some of us are coders who can do something else about it and some of us make a living with trapping contracts and hard/software backdoors (Obfuscation).

I can, will and may promote FOSS, because it allows separation of Government and IT/IS (Information Systems).

If I can get for a bit of effort and the cost of DownLoad seems good to me.

I may pay if I want, and/or make heaps from the programs usefullness.

(I hope) You see, foss is different to "proprietary" software (in many ways).

Glenn

Edited by GlennsPref

That's not what I meant, I mean people like this, founder of the Free Software Foundation and GNU Project, Richard Stallman

Nonfree game programs (like other nonfree programs) are unethical because they deny freedom to their users. (Game art is a different issue, because it isn't software.) If you want freedom, one requisite for it is not having nonfree programs on your computer.

How is non free software "unethical"?

People like this are doing a lot of damage to how people view Linux, and it's attitudes like this that force me to not recommend Linux to people.

I mean people like this, founder of the Free Software Foundation and GNU Project, Richard Stallman

I'm sure you are aware of the political stance these FOSS advocates must take, it may seem extreamist, but

To get any they have to argue for the lot.

Hopefully FOSS will propagate and you and I will have a choice.

As for FOSS games, try policeforces, assaultcube, sauerbraten,... Urbanterror (just updated).

I know with soo many choices, for most ppl given too many choices, it's difficult to decide, so they just go with the flow, and never be wiser.

Ignorance is bliss! (helps if you have money or a crack).

GNU/Linux, No CRACKS REQUIRED.

As for FOSS games, try policeforces, assaultcube, sauerbraten,... Urbanterror (just updated).

Are there any FOSS games that don't look like CS clones made in 2001?

If that's the best that they can come up with then it pretty much proves my point.

I costs a lot of money to develop game engines, create artwork, music, sound especially to a modern standard, and games that cost this much will never be released as FOSS.

So, what do you want for free?

I like CS types of games. You may not, you are free to decide.

The first hurdle is setting up a decent GNU/Linux system to fully appreciate the work involved. (it's not free)

My win7 install crashes regularly, 3 times a week, and I only use it for playing CS:S.

I've just signed up to CS:GO for me and mine, and I hope it will be "fun".

Maybe the reason I like fps's is that back in 2001/3, I was hacking windows (w2k, used in the workshop at work)

and anything I could get my hands on, including mod chips for game devices, to make things work.

I'm 49yo and learning a new game to find it graphically brilliant, yet somehow unplayable with an up-front cost <is not what I need>.

You have the choice, it's your life.

<edit> some other considerations...

Pro Audio

http://www.getstudio1337.com/

what if M$ decides this...?

https://soltesza.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/i...-major-open-os/

</edit>

Edited by GlennsPref

But that's my point, I already do have a choice so why do these Linux FOSS people make non free software sound like a bad thing, especially when the quality of non free (games in this case) is so much higher?

Also I don't see how your poor windows 7 config has anything to do with games on Linux?

The only time my windows 7 has crashed this year was due to crappy ATI drivers, which seem to have the same effect on my laptop running Ubuntu...

Well, I guess, for conversation sake, a person would need to read the eula's of the software they use.

M$ aside, checkout gmail's eula, and then look at incredimail(that one with the butterfly decoration animations),

Back in 2003 when I initially read them I was shocked that inrceady mail may claim the rights to own everthing and anything you send or receive.

Yes, my win7 probs are hw drivers too, usb audio and nvidia graphics, I assume. And a buggy OS.

Back it up? Yeah sure.

GNU/Linux, Mageia runs fine for days at a time, running multiple tasks continuously.

M$Win7 64 ult, will crash at some time at least on average once every three boots. That's paying for broken software.

(you pay for this, and they give you that) How long will ppl like you allow this hijacking to go on?

Imagine the cost of a desktop publisher, with audio and video creativity software. Easy 4 grand there, with very limited support.

Occasionally I need to restart the sound server (usb power-save). But that does not require a reboot.

FOSS is about freedom from unfair and binding contracts. It's your choice.

Games are not everything, maximising hardware is though, I think.

Cheers, Glenn

Can this please not turn into another Linux vs Windows argument? Both have their strong and weakpoints, but having them both around gives people choice

Back on topic please

Actually, it would be fun here if we got opinions on when we'll see the beta. Lets see who gets their Valve Time calculations right :-P

Edited by nobody813

I wondered if they'd release something around the time of Ubuntu 12.10's release, which would mean October. I would like to see it earlier though, even in a non-completed state

Yeah, I recon before or for xmas, tipical games release time... Hope it's not late.

CS:GO works well on win7(8 core proc, 16Gb ram gfx570 1.3Gb) and win8(6 core proc, 8 Gb ram, gfx 560 1Gb)