nobody813

Steam and Source Coming to Linux Soon

your a little behind, i signed up last week

What? This news article is about it being "released" to those fortunate enough to get in the initial beta group, not the fact that you can now sign up for it Edited by nobody813

I got my access code today then realised i'm to lazy to get it downloaded unless planetside 2 or some form of CoD is on it

true, i might just on my laptop as i am keeping my desktop with windows till steam is official

Steam backup worked for me fine, as did the old copy paste method. Though I had some issues that stopped some games from working outside of that...

Had some trouble installing it, which I was able to get around, then discovered the only game available for me to test was TF2. Back to Windows, sorry Valve. :/

Just thought I'd show people here what my Steam library looks like in Linux

Posted Image

For those who want to see it with the rest of the screen, here it is. After reading that Half-Life was added to the game library, I had to try it out. You may also notice that Counter-Strike is installing too. I did this by going to its properties, and enabling the SteamPipe beta. I'm not exactly sure what this is, but from what I've been told it's Valve's new patching system for Steam. Either way, that added an extra game for me to try out :-D

Edited by nobody813

Both are difficult games in their own right. Unfortunately Counter-Strike downloads, but will not start. As for the other games listed there that aren't installed (except TF2 Beta), you cannot download them yet

i noticed that issue with limbo a few weeks ago. My account seemed to have wiped itself today but i will research that problem tomorrow.

Counter-Strike is now properly available in Linux

i saw, now if i could play it without insti-death (too many pro's), my half-life won't open either. Edited by noskcaj

I can't get any game in Steam to run with 12.04 + stock drivers, and I reckon it'd be the same for you with 12.10

i got world of goo to work, probably because it's a linux native game.

I can't get any game in Steam to run with 12.04 + stock drivers, and I reckon it'd be the same for you with 12.10

i got world of goo to work, probably because it's a linux native game.

World of Goo is also in the Ubuntu Store, and most games in there will run on the bog standard drivers. Valve's games would be using a "newer" version of OpenGL too perhaps, plus there's thing like S3TC that many games on Steam will probably need, which isn't available on the open source drivers for AMD/ATI and Nvidia cards iirc Edited by nobody813