nobody813

Steam and Source Coming to Linux Soon

This evening I'm going to do a little comparison between a few different Ubuntu based OS's, which have different desktop environments. The basic aim of this is to see if there are any issues with any DE's, or things that could/should be improved

Edited by nobody813

Kubuntu 12.10 is nice.

I got steam installed and working.

Next (in the near future) is CS:S CS:GO

Usless to me otherwise....

never liked kde personally.

nobody, remember to add gnome 3, there's a possibility of it coming by 13.10.

Steam AND source? as in the engine?

Meaning they can directly compile TF2 and DOTA2, the only games I play on Linux?

Maybe i'll finally switch full time.

Steam AND source? as in the engine?

Meaning they can directly compile TF2 and DOTA2, the only games I play on Linux?

Maybe i'll finally switch full time.

Yep :-)

I had no idea Dota 2 was a Source game (pretty obvious now I look at it :-P), but I do believe it will be brought to Linux officially pretty soon. That and the other popular Source games such as Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Counter-Strike: Source and GO... should be among the next ported over

Yep. and as a source game, it has a MAJOR downfall for a game like dota.

lag doesnt cause pauses, or even just frame drop, it will rubberband your plays\actions\damage\movement.... everything.

Its SOURCE, but i wish it wasnt :P

All of the screenshots are done, and now I just need to make a post that makes sense with them in it :-P

Off topic slightly, but these sort of articles (Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop Gaming Performance Comparison) are always handy for seeing how different desktop environments effect gaming performance. That's outside of the scope of what I was looking in to, but still a very important consideration

nobody, remember to add gnome 3, there's a possibility of it coming by 13.10.

The only "Gnome like" DE I tested was Cinnamon, which is a fork of GNOME Shell. I didn't test vanilla GNOME 3 Edited by nobody813

ok, did you know much about "gnubuntu"?

also, why are't you involved in ubuntu development somehow?

ok, did you know much about "gnubuntu"?

also, why are't you involved in ubuntu development somehow?

Yeah I have heard of it, but never tried it before. As for development, I have never really though about it, though I don't have any of the skills required for such a role. I'm just a typical "beginner" Linux user that's dug a little deeper than most haha

my knowledge of coding extends to the elif command in python, and whatever it is nicholas (testing boss) is trying to teach me. i've been on the quality team since october last year

Ah okay. If I do end up installing Ubuntu on my main PC (which I am currently attempting to do now) I may look into that kinda thing in the future, if I have the time for it :-P

My analysis will be posted here on the weekend (fingers crossed), but with a few changes. Steam was recently updated, and has added a handy little feature right from Windows...

good to hear all those things, if time is an issue then the ubuntu testing is a good idea. we are automating many testcases ATM.

Cool :-)

I am quite surprised how "well" it's running, given my previous experiences with ATI and Linux. It just seems the older cards (which are now legacy) are quite buggy often, as my HD 5870 is running nicely. That said, I think I'm using the 12.11 beta drivers, so my next step will probably be to install the 13.1 drivers manually (the newest non-beta ones available are 12.8 or 12.9 I think, which Steam doesn't like at all)

Steam for Linux: Distribution and Desktop Environment Comparison

Introduction:

With the release of Steam for Linux, I thought I would take some time and see how well Steam ran in different desktop environments. Valve recommends all users use Ubuntu 12.04, which uses the Unity desktop environment. However, other distributions based on Ubuntu all use different desktop environments. These include LXDE, XFCE, MATE, and Cinnamon. The latter is incredibly popular with many Linux users, as it is the default desktop environment for Linux Mint. While there are numerous other desktop environments available, such as KDE, Gnome 3 and E17, I didn't have any distributions handy that used these, nor do I use them

I will be looking at how well Steam integrates with each desktop environment, and if there are any bugs or issues when using it. On top of this, I will also compare this to Steam for Windows, to see if there are any handy features that are missing from the Linux version

Below are the Ubuntu-based distributions that were tested, and their respective desktop environment:

- Ubuntu 12.04: Unity 5.18

- Xubuntu 12.04: XFCE 4.8.3

- Lubuntu 12.04: LXDE 0.3.8

- Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon: Cinnamon 1.4 UP3 and 1.6.7

- Linux Mint 13 MATE: MATE 1.2.1

- Linux Mint 13 XFCE: XFCE 4.10

These were run using VirtualBox 4.2.6

Results:

Unity - Ubuntu 12.04

As Valve recommends Ubuntu 12.04, I had high hopes for it, and luckily things went smoothly. After installing Steam, an icon was created on the desktop, as well as on the Unity bar. Once Steam has been launched, right clicking on the icon on the bar brings up a menu. I use this menu a lot in Windows, so it was handy to see it here

Posted Image

One thing I noticed straight away was that the main Steam window never closes, it only minimises. Clicking on the Unity bar icon brings the main Steam window up as if it was minimised. I found out later this behaviour is the same in Steam for Mac (which I'd never noticed before despite owing a Mac :-P). Pop-ups were the next thing I tested. These worked fine, and overlaid properly over open windows

XFCE - Xubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 13 XFCE

Next up was the XFCE driven Xubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 13 XFCE. Once again, Steam placed an icon on the desktop after it was installed. Because XFCE aims for a more classic desktop feel, I wondered if there would be a Steam icon in the task bar, just like it is in Windows (shown below)

Posted Image

Unfortunately, no icon was present in the taskbar. This means there is no way to access things such as your friends list outside of the main window. Right clicking on the generic open windows icon in the taskbar only shows the usual options for applications

Posted Image

When looking at the usual Steam popups, all seemed well for Xubuntu until I moved the menu from the top to the bottom of the screen. The popups now covered up part of the menu

Posted Image

This also occurs with Linux Mint 13 XFCE out of the box, as by default its menu is at the bottom of the screen

LXDE - Lubuntu 12.04

Swapping to LXDE with Lubuntu, I wondered if similar problems would occur with LXDE, and unfortunately I was right. You will have the same experience running either Steam on any distribution using LXDE or XFCE. The only way to stop popups covering part of the menu is to have the menu at the top of the screen, or make it auto-hide

MATE - Linux Mint 13 MATE

Considering MATE is based off the old Gnome 2 code, which both LXDE (I think) and XFCE are as well, MATE performed exactly the same as the above two

Cinnamon - Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon

I had high hopes for Cinnamon, but unfortunately this turned out to be the worst desktop environment for Steam. It shared the same problems as XFCE and LXDE had, but instead of the popups covering the menu, the menu covered them

Posted Image

The only way to fix this issue was to auto-hide the menu, which was rather buggy in VirtualBox. Another issue I found was when I right clicked on the Steam icon in the taskbar and clicked on close, it would close the main Steam window, but not Steam itself. This left Steam running in the background without any way of accessing it. Going into the Mint Menu (Start Menu) and clicking on Steam would not being it back either, as this would attempt to start Steam, causing an error to popup

Conclusion:

As it stands today (30th of January when I did the experiment), vanilla Ubuntu is the best distribution to use. However, LXDE, MATE, and XFCE all do well too overall, though with some handy features missing. Unfortunately, Cinnamon just doesn't play along well with Steam. I'm not sure of this is specific only to Cinnamon, or if it effects other Gnome 3 based desktop environments too, but it's definitely something I hope gets fixed soon in a future Cinnamon release

Ignoring any bugs, Steam for Linux has made excellent progress in such a short amount of time. New games are being added to it almost every week, and updates are coming thick and fast resolving fixing issues with the client itself. 2013 will be an interesting year for Linux gaming

UPDATE:

A little while after I did my initial testing, Valve updated Steam for Linux to include the same taskbar icon as it does in Windows. Below is it in Linux Mint 13

Posted Image

This for me is a great addition, as before the only way to access this functionality was by using the Unity icon, or through the main Steam window itself

Finally, one of the issues I was having in Cinnamon has been resolved. Closing the Steam window through right-clicking it's window icon now exits Steam as it should do. Unfortunately, the overlay issues regarding menus is still there

Edited by nobody813

POTM for nobody813

lxde is essentially a skin for openbox, i'm not sure if it's related to gnome.

the only thing i have to add is that steam forces sauerbraten out of fullscreen until sauerbraten s re-opened.

EDIT- one other bug in unity, having ctrl makes the mouse appear on minimises games

Edited by noskcaj

Haha thanks for that noskcaj. No idea if POTM is still running though :-P

As for LXDE being based on Openbox, that does make sense to me, as Lubuntu always came with that installed as well. Hopefully those bugs you've spotted are dealt with soon

Now we have a game that's identical between them, why no Linux\Windows\Mac benchmarks?

you do have unigine, but other than that there is nothing

Now we have a game that's identical between them, why no Linux\Windows\Mac benchmarks?

There is going to be some Source comparisons on Phoronix between all 3 platforms, but I'm not sure why these have not been done yet (there was a reason given, but I can't remember what that was). I'll probably do a little comparison of my own soon, though it won't be that accurate (would probably be my usual "any bugs" test, and is it playable)

EDIT: The reason for no benchmarks from Phoronix is that the games don't work with whatever automated system he uses for every single benchmark. Whatever happened to doing it yourself? :-P

EDIT 2: I was looking forward to this :-)

Source Engine Garry's Mod Coming Soon To Linux

Edited by nobody813

I'm loving Kubuntu.. This week 14/02/2013

Had steam as well cs:s on the map de_dust.

Had a great time for a while, then it crashed!

Why do I need all these i386 files On an 64bit chip?

Dragging me forward to work with old tech! C"mon!

Next is to get Kubuntu to do cs:s again.

Then see if I can do the same for Magiea. (at the time of writing, I have steam, buit not much else.)

My 2cents

Bought a copy of pc&auth.. today, ... <cant see much here>

Movin' on I guess...

Cheers!

Edited by GlennsPref

If the game would run, I'd test it too. Not so much cross platform, But differing Linux Distro's and hardware.

Sorry 'bout the last post, thinking out loud.