ReapermanRS

To H2O or just O2

I've pretty much got my new build planned out but now I am wondering how to cool it. I've pretty much got my heart set on a 3570K with an ASRock Extreme4 (or a Sabertooth maybe) to go in my current case a Raven RV 01.

My options are basically this.

Get some 1155 brackets for my current CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler

Buying a H100 or a 920

or something like this EK-KIT H3O 360 HFX Cooling Kit

I know that by far the cheapest and easiest way is just to source some brackets for the V8 but im not sure what sort of temps and headroom it will give me it runs bloody cold (like never higher than 45 degrees) on an e8400 @ 4g but I have no idea how that would stack up thermally vs a 3570K

Next easiest is an all in one system but I suppose if I do that Im halfway to decent watercooling anyway money wise.

I've never drowned a system before and I wouldn't mind a little bit of advice. If I do drown it then eventually I'm going to want to drown the Video card as well which will probably be a 7950 or 7970 or the closest NVIDIA equivalent depending on how I feel at the time.

depends how far you want to overclock, i really dont see the point in buying all this expensive WC gear just to run a mild overclock.

my 2500k is at 4.6ghz and running around 65degrees with the $39 hyper 212

If you were going to run 5ghz+ 24/7 then i would get a WC setup, depending on how the ivy's OC.

I was planning on grabbing a loop as well, however so far ive read ivy bridge seems to hit a wall temp wise at 4.8 - 5.2 (depending on chip) that air or water can't overcome. Water would give better average temps but your max oc would be about the same on air, it depends on if you want to spend the extra money for the gain. Water becomes more appealing if you want silence as well as the performance and the satisfaction of your own loop.

I know I've decided to skip wc for this year, as its not really needed for ivy bridge or the 6xx series gpus and dasa showed that water didn't affect his 7970 clock all.

I've pretty much got my new build planned out but now I am wondering how to cool it. I've pretty much got my heart set on a 3570K with an ASRock Extreme4 (or a Sabertooth maybe) to go in my current case a Raven RV 01.

My options are basically this.

Get some 1155 brackets for my current CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler

Buying a H100 or a 920

or something like this EK-KIT H3O 360 HFX Cooling Kit

I know that by far the cheapest and easiest way is just to source some brackets for the V8 but im not sure what sort of temps and headroom it will give me it runs bloody cold (like never higher than 45 degrees) on an e8400 @ 4g but I have no idea how that would stack up thermally vs a 3570K

Next easiest is an all in one system but I suppose if I do that Im halfway to decent watercooling anyway money wise.

I've never drowned a system before and I wouldn't mind a little bit of advice. If I do drown it then eventually I'm going to want to drown the Video card as well which will probably be a 7950 or 7970 or the closest NVIDIA equivalent depending on how I feel at the time.

The only really viable radiator mounting spot in a Raven RV01 is on the rear and it can be a real pain. From memory you have 1 120mm exhaust at the top of the case, so one of the single 120mm rad all in ones (not the H100) should probably mount in there okay, but if you go for a proper solution with a 2x120mm radiator, it requires that you mount it to the back of the case, the issue there, is that it really only supports 3x120 so the H100 still wouldn't be viable, however the EK solution you linked would be okay.

Yeah I figured it would have to be on the back. I suppose that rules the H100 out completely though. I reckon I'll just go air to start with and sort out a decent loop later on.

one question that is always overlooked, where do you live ? lower ambiants ?

my rig in sig runs @ around 50 under full load atm summer may be a lil different but we use aircon if its hot.

love the mobo all my rigs run asrock boards now.

Tasmania, ambients ranging from -10 to +32 but mostly about 17.

Although I am considering a move out West.

is it just me, or is the thread title wrong? Should be "O2" at the end...

or "78.1% N2 , 20.9% O2, 1% other mixed gases"

Yeah i thought someone was going to try cooling with liquid O2,

I was going to get me some popcorn and watch the drama unfold.

Pedants :p

Also give argon some credit, it's nearly a whole percent on its own.

Pedants :p

Also give argon some credit, it's nearly a whole percent on its own.

A noble gas walks into a bar, the bartender says "we don't serve noble gases in this bar."

The noble gas ignored him.

The bartender yelled: "Hey YOU! We don't serve noble gases in this bar!"

The noble gas did not react.

Fixed :)

I guess it saves on ambiguity. If you put N2 then people might think you meant liquid nitrogen.

:)

Good point :P

Xen, nice joke, got any others?

I think a physics joke thread went sailing by this morning... i popped two in there...

I can't believe you all missed the H20, not H2O!

0000hhh... N00000 :)

Antec 920 is apparently a great cooler a friend of mine owns one and he is really pleased with it. I would go for the 920 over the H80 because the Antec one has better software.

Noctua make friggin beast air coolers so check them out also.

id stay away from all in one watercooling gimmicks all together, as the pumps get noisy and fail, the rads are piss poor in terms of fpi and included fans are cheap and noisy at high rpm. a decent air cooler like the d14 is better.

if you want watercooling, do yourself a favour and build a custom loop. it is simple, quiet (choose good fans) and you will be so much happier with the results from both your temps and overclocking headroom.

and its not that expensive, for the cost of say a h100 you can easily build a simple loop (pump/res or combo, block, rad, fans) with the scalability to add whatever other waterblocks in the future etc. do some research on what you case can fit in it in terms of what rads will fit along with fans. what blocks you want in the loop etc.

there are a few really good retailers in oz here that stock some great wc gear.

best of luck with your decision.