Sign in to follow this  
meowkitty

xp-32 to 7-64, both pro.

I upgraded the wifes PC from win XP pro to Win 7 pro. I wanted it win 7 to work with the other win 7 pcs we have and to get away from XP.

the XP machine was increasingly disliking being on for a day or 2 and would get flakey. I thought an upgrade would help.

the build was done before we knew anythign about hardware by a shop we still go to. at the time is came with a Belkin 10/100 pci network card. which I thought was strange considering the ASUS P5Q has onboard ethernet.

before the OS change, games like BC2 would have what seemed a graphics driver failure as it would drop to an 8 bit colour scheem. alt tabbing would amazingly fixit. Graphics is a Gainward GT260.

after the upgrade to win 7, it's now more stable for long term use but does give a blue screen with a code of 0xD1. best I can do so faris that it's in the device management area but which device?

all drivers have been upgraded from ASUS web site as the disk does not recognise the OS.

the software I did not upgrade were any AI nap, ai direct or EPU engine but anything else on the website got done.

on win 7 game s fo not drop into "8 bit mode" but just crash.

being network games I am looking at the network connection being an issue (while still looking at ram socket, Ram and graphics card).

Other stangeness is that the wireless blueray (LG) randomly looses the "server" when playing media off this PC.

so, my questions.

network cards. I still have the belkin pci 10/100 but would not mind popping a Gbit lan card in as they look to be for $15 to $25. this

the wireless connection tothe blueray is also wired to the modem and to this PC and 2 other PCs. should I also suspect my Tenda router modem thingy?

and broardly, what else can I test or suspect for being flakey in this?

the Bits.

CPU: E8400

Mobo: ASUS P5Q

Ram: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 Patriot.

Graphics: Gainward GTX260

PSU: Coolermaster extreem 550W (installed with the Win 7 upgrade)

HDD: OS and programs - seagate 500MB, Media - Seagate 2T, Documents - Samsung(?) 750GB

What was the BSOD error message?

at the top IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

at the bottom 0x000000D1

a: are you still running 2 nics

b: what drivers for the gfx card

c: how regular are the blue screens?

a: are you still running 2 nics

b: what drivers for the gfx card

c: how regular are the blue screens?

a: it was not running the 2nd nic, I popped that out a years months ago. but...

I have just popped in a new gigabit card from d-link, PCI with drivers and all the nice stuff. disabled the onboard through device management. system seems a bit snapier on internwet stuff.

b: current for Nvidia (as of 2 weeks ago), 296.xx

c: only when we do more than word processing or web surfing.

I was playing Need for speed world when the wife tried to print. bingo, 0x000007E. the printer drivers had been looked at prior to this blue screen and I had 64 bit compatable drivers and set the system up per the windows forums and it seemed to help the printer disconecting (wireless printer)

I relaunched NFSW after start up but later it was not long before I got a 0x000003D. which was ouch.

I had a chance later to trawl the HP web site and found a current win 7 64 suit that ws released last month so have installed that.

one of the big questions about the config is the drivers I have installed. I went to Asus and done the downloads because the supplied disk does not recognise my OS. I'm not convinced I have all the drivers I should have, I will need to list what I have and have not done when I get home so I can get opinions for if I should install a driver pack.

dragged from page 3 for an update.

in the last month the system wanted me to install an AMD power management tool. I looked at windows update and accused it of being retarded and installed the ASUS EPU-6 Engine from the ASUS downloads.

I also got a BSOD log viewer to be able to look back at the logs and follow up on any hardware and OS fixes that makers had provided.

In the majority of cases it's a graphics driver. and every 3rd BSOD has MS come back and say "a solution toyoru problem is the memtest". done that twice with no errors found.

we recently went from nvid drivers 296 top 301 so I clicked the box for clean install of drivers. I looked at the compatability in the Nvidia tools and they gave recomendations for settings for wow but none of the others could be made to work better. (wow sugested dropping the water occlution stuff to fair)

I then jumped in minecraft techen server the son was setting up. took 2 blue screens to pull the setting back to stop that and several more crashes to get the settings low enough to stop the game crashing.

Need for speed world does the same. standard settings are ok, but I have yet to finish a race without a BSOD. treasure hunt daily is all it allows really.

So, my gut feeling is that while the GTX260 is a tops card in toms hardware list of cards, it does not seem to like anything that is not DX9 or is ram intensive.

I could post some of the logs if any one wants to poke in it but at this stage I will need an other card that can do DX11 to put it beyond doubt.

Handily enough, I am helping a friend swap his PC from a TT V9 to a CM 690 II Nvid Ed so his GTX480 will be free to plug in and sample.

to finish on a high. now that it has ASUS EPU-6 Engine installed it is so quite and runs for a week on Win 7 pro without any need for a boot. infact only the wifi blue ray player in the next room has issues when a windows update stuffs up it's permission to access the shared drives. says it needs a password but a reboot of the PC fixes that.

so aside from the graphics related BSOD, the Win 7 upgrade has been a great sucess for this machine and I hope a cheep card like a GT630 or so will give it the stability to make it a modest all rounder.

Edited by meowkitty

Best guess would be, as you suspect, a dodgy GFX card, in particular

a solution toyoru problem is the memtest".

may mean that windows detected a video card memory issue. No idea how to actually test this as the normal memtest just does system memory.

Don't suppose you have access to a different card to try, or can you try that card in another PC?

Yes it is some stuffing around but sometimes it's the only way to test.

Oh do check the current card is properly seated in it's slot and isn't partially out.

Best guess would be, as you suspect, a dodgy GFX card, in particular

a solution toyoru problem is the memtest".

may mean that windows detected a video card memory issue. No idea how to actually test this as the normal memtest just does system memory.

Don't suppose you have access to a different card to try, or can you try that card in another PC?

Yes it is some stuffing around but sometimes it's the only way to test.

Oh do check the current card is properly seated in it's slot and isn't partially out.

win7 ran it's own on bootup mem test.

this weekend will see a GTX480 slipped in for a run and a reseat of the 260, which will be quite a good amount of feedback about graphics stability,

Something doesn't sit right with me.

Forget 'board' drivers.

What chipset are you running? (I CBF'd looking it up.. I've had beer and enjoy it) Got to THAT supplier (intel/AMD) and install that.

Try driver updates for graphics.

NEXT, check your graphic settings in bios. There should be an aperture setting (I think it is called). Basically, the only thing that references memory. Halve it.

Directx should not impact you much. Try running dxdiag (start menu, just type dxdiag and hit enter.. win 7 only of course).

Run the tests. If problems. Directs related. If not, not dx related

AD

Something doesn't sit right with me.

Forget 'board' drivers.

What chipset are you running? (I CBF'd looking it up.. I've had beer and enjoy it) Got to THAT supplier (intel/AMD) and install that.

Try driver updates for graphics.

NEXT, check your graphic settings in bios. There should be an aperture setting (I think it is called). Basically, the only thing that references memory. Halve it.

Directx should not impact you much. Try running dxdiag (start menu, just type dxdiag and hit enter.. win 7 only of course).

Run the tests. If problems. Directs related. If not, not dx related

AD

Asus P5Q.

Went to Intel, installed auto check tool, it said the driver for the P45 was valid and did not give me an option of a newer driver.

Ran dxdiag, both 32 and 64 bit and no errors found.

ran Afterburner, while playing need for speed world. it showed 300MB for ram and the GP utilised to 17%. very under utilised.

Bios will for another day.

THank you for the support.

Edited by meowkitty

Download occt from ocbase.com and run the GPU and CPU tests, if its your GPU, the GPU test will fail. If its not, it should pass and then you can test the cpu.

Also, did you do an upgrade from xp to 7, or a format and install?

Oh and when you say you disabled the onboard NIC in device manager, I'm assuming you only disabled it in windows? May be worth disabling it in the BIOS as well.

I'm also not sure if PCI-E graphics cards have an aperture setting, I certainly haven't had that setting on any of my last few boards.

Download occt from ocbase.com and run the GPU and CPU tests, if its your GPU, the GPU test will fail. If its not, it should pass and then you can test the cpu.

Oh and when you say you disabled the onboard NIC in device manager, I'm assuming you only disabled it in windows? May be worth disabling it in the BIOS as well.

I'm also not sure if PCI-E graphics cards have an aperture setting, I certainly haven't had that setting on any of my last few boards.

Format install. I left most of the hard choices to the install so it did not do a full reformat if any. Win7 has impressed me so far so it sits low on my list of suspicious things to check.

this is likely going to get a palm to forehead answer but should I stop to testing and dismember the thing and treat it like an OEM and rebuild from scratch, just to be sure.

yes, NIC was only disabled in Win7.

occt will be tonights activity of choice. with some BIOS tweeking.

Can't upgrade from XP to 7 dude. It has to be a format and install, even with an upgrade disk.

Can't upgrade from XP to 7 dude. It has to be a format and install, even with an upgrade disk.

Ah k, I wasn't aware of that, so you can only upgrade xp to vista and then vista to win7?

Ah k, I wasn't aware of that, so you can only upgrade xp to vista and then vista to win7?

to confirm, it was a Win7 Pro OEM disk. I did not install upgrade as a 2 stage process.

to confirm, it was a Win7 Pro OEM disk. I did not install upgrade as a 2 stage process.

Yeah I figured that, was just clarifying with Ali

Edited by NukeJockey

running OCCT new, also reading their website I got this little gem.

"Q: Why is the test tab greyed out ?

A: Your DirectX version isn't up to date, or a required file in DirectX is missing. This happens with DirectX9, and with DirectX10 : for some reason, a core file of DirectX10 was removed from Windows 7 SP1 install, while it was present in the 7 SP0 and Vista install.

To get it fixed, you need to update your directX version to the latest one, by using this small utility from Microsoft. Once updated, restart OCCT, and the tests will be available."

My install included SP! and I got the Direct X pack from MS to be sure I got all the stuff. some thing else to double check.

running OCCT new, also reading their website I got this little gem.

"Q: Why is the test tab greyed out ?

A: Your DirectX version isn't up to date, or a required file in DirectX is missing. This happens with DirectX9, and with DirectX10 : for some reason, a core file of DirectX10 was removed from Windows 7 SP1 install, while it was present in the 7 SP0 and Vista install.

To get it fixed, you need to update your directX version to the latest one, by using this small utility from Microsoft. Once updated, restart OCCT, and the tests will be available."

My install included SP! and I got the Direct X pack from MS to be sure I got all the stuff. some thing else to double check.

or it was option 2, the tabs are grey because you are currently running a test and you can not change tabs during a test.

3hours 20minutes of CPU testing and nothing happened, except a bit of warmth on a cold night. accordign to the site, either nothign is wrong or nothing went wrong Yet. he he.

more to come.

Have you been able to do the GPU test yet?

No, scheduled for tonight.

they recomened a minimum of an hour but 3 is ideal.so the PCU test went till bed time.

I want to run the link and 3d tests tonight so I can go into tomorrow with more info. will try for atleast 2 hours wach.

Tomorow I will test with a GTX480 and then reseat the GTX260.

Edited by meowkitty

Running GPU test on OCCT right now.

had it up for 30 minutes as soon as I got home. looked great. Temp was up to 76deg, 130fps, fans going like crazy.

turned it off and clicked error check and set it off again. 10min and counting.

Run the OCCT CPU test rather than linpack, linpack is unrealistic load, but if you get errors in the normal cpu test, then its almost definitely the culprit.

Big day for computer hardware.

Played Diablo 3 for about 20 minutes, killed a minor boss, went to get he crown and BAM. Blue screen. OSKRNL.exe. oh the joy.

Jonny 5 this is not so it was time to disassemble.

Pulled GPU, popped off shroud and cooler. cleaned and inspected. Redid thermal paste. reassembled.

Checked Manual for ram configuration, pulled ram and inspected DRAM slot and Ram. looked like good contact and no dirt.

back together with my GTX470. into computer room

House safety switch tripped. OMG. switch reset and power back on.

Did not boot. FFS. back to the work table.

cables brought to boot at work bench. launches, does not show anything on screen, fans do not drop in speed indicating it is not progressing int he boot sequesnce.

GTX260 back in. no change.

1 ram stick out. (down to 2GB) Seems to make it to boot as the ODD spins looking for a disk but still no monitor action.

Old PSU dragged out and plugged in. no.

Put the one stick of ram into 2nd socket.

LAUNCH!!!

shut down, 2nd stick put in. Win.

Shutdown, New PSU plugged back in. Launches. WIN.

Play Diablo 3 for an hour and kill the Bone Kings with no Blue Screen. big freakin WIN.

Conclusion.

Reseating the RAM finally killed a faulty socket. 2nd sockets (A2 and B2) working fine.

confidence in ASUS products dented.

Edited by meowkitty