Sign in to follow this  
ameel

HP ProLiant DL585 Quad Dual-Core 2.8Ghz --> what to do?

After this thread here , I've bought a "non-working" HP ProLiant DL585 Quad Dual-Core Opteron 2.8GHz 4 RU Server with 64GB ram (no hdd). It's this one

Collecting it tomorrow. It's sold as is. I haven't inspected, but it Beeps on boot (apparently POST as well but don't fully boot). I'm hoping it's a couple of ram modules or one of the cpus. I'm hoping to fix it, and if I fail, strip parts and sell (ram, cpu, network card, whatever else there is I can pull out) (What do you guys reckon these parts could sell for)

I'll hopefully gather some help here and put it together to work though (y).

If I manage to get it to work, I'm intending on getting a few PCI-E sata cards so I can transfer my hard-drives from my Ubuntu raid5 (5x2tb) N36L microServer to this system instead, and buy hard drives as I can.

Thoughts/comments much appreciated.

edit:

Again IF I manage to fix it, I'd be interested in maybe virtualisation, i.e. running a windows server (proper server so my desktop computers can run/load data straight off it, though I haven't really looked into how to do this) and an ubuntu server (for managing my growing raid5, file-sharing and proxy server).

Edited by ameel

Hey guys, I'm after a C14 to C19 power cord. This is to power the DL585 above. I tried to look up Officeworks tonight, but didn't find anything. Any recommendation? I'm in ACT D:

cheers

Just a word of advice, you might be worth taking some of this to Trademart if you want to buy/sell bits. That includes price checks.

C14 to C19? Is the C19 on the PSU? If not then why do you need one?

Storage type

Hot plug 2.5-inch SAS

Hot plug 2.5-inch SATA

That is going to draw a lot of power too

Edited by mudg3

Just a word of advice, you might be worth taking some of this to Trademart if you want to buy/sell bits. That includes price checks.

C14 to C19? Is the C19 on the PSU? If not then why do you need one?

The PSUs are on C19 which require female cable that looks like this

I will have some at work if you cant track one down. Tried a Jaycar?

I will have some at work if you cant track one down. Tried a Jaycar?

I'll go jaycar tomorrow and have a look. But would really appreciate your help if jaycar doesn't have it. I checked their website and can't find anything there :/

cheers

Errrmmmm.....

C19 power cords are designed for 15 amp outlets, not 10 amp outlets like normal systems would use.

As long as you know you're not drawing more than 10 amps, you'll be fine.... but if you are drawing more than 10 amps, you could run into some electrical problems, ranging from blowing fuses or circuit breakers in your switchboard right through to having your house catch on fire if the wiring is dodgy...

Errrmmmm.....

C19 power cords are designed for 15 amp outlets, not 10 amp outlets like normal systems would use.

Yeah that is what I was thinking....

You will find C19's on high end servers... Typically quad processor systems and blade chassis...

I'm just saying it would be a very good idea to check the power draw of the power supply first. If it is under 2400 watts, you should be ok to make an adapter for it (ie, get a normal 10 amp plug and wire in the 15 amp C19 on the other end of it), but i would ONLY suggest that if you REALLY know what you're doing with 240v...

Risks include death. So you know, i'm suggesting you DON'T do that. Officially.

Honestly, the fact that you're looking for said power cord in officeworks makes me think that it would be a bad idea.

You will find C19's on high end servers... Typically quad processor systems and blade chassis...

I'm just saying it would be a very good idea to check the power draw of the power supply first. If it is under 2400 watts, you should be ok to make an adapter for it (ie, get a normal 10 amp plug and wire in the 15 amp C19 on the other end of it), but i would ONLY suggest that if you REALLY know what you're doing with 240v...

Risks include death. So you know, i'm suggesting you DON'T do that. Officially.

Honestly, the fact that you're looking for said power cord in officeworks makes me think that it would be a bad idea.

Woa, now you're actually scaring me D:

Specs report: 910W (low line), 1300W (high line) with 12V main output.

Should I just strip parts for cash then D:

edit: Using the HP Power calculator, it seems that I would need Total Input current requirement (A) as 4.7 though the specs page says 6.9.

Edited by ameel

I can't imagine you drawing 10 amps at the wall, inside the PSU there will be much more then that but its being converted into DC.

thats about 2400w if you did draw 10 amps at 240v.

Edited by nesquick

Keep in mind, the reason they come with C19's is that the current draw on a 110v (american) power input would be about twice what our current draw is.

You could make your own lead for it, if you knew what you were doing... but that lead could *never* be used in a business environment, only ever at home.

I just bought a cable off RS... im scared now though :/ is it safe or not?

Also, I mentioned C19 to C14 cable only because that's what's normally shipped with the DL585 from HP specs website?

Edited by ameel

Yeah, it'll be safe. That power supply won't draw too much current, and if you've got a C19 > c14 cable, you'll be able to plug it in using a standard 240v 10a wall socket as long as you have a spare IEC C14 cable around(a normal computer power supply cable).

Yeah, it'll be safe. That power supply won't draw too much current, and if you've got a C19 > c14 cable, you'll be able to plug it in using a standard 240v 10a wall socket as long as you have a spare IEC C14 cable around(a normal computer power supply cable).

I got (off RS and actually went to jaycar to buy one) a C19 to Australian wall socket power cord. That's the jaycar one. The RS one should be in tomorrow.

cheers

Ooooooohhh yeaaaaaahhh! Working just fine after I removed 16gb ram. Will have to test each of the eight sticks now, but got a live USB Ubuntu stick to load just fine ;D

I'm not catholic, but sweeeeet jesuuuuuuuuuuuuus! I reseated the "non-working" ram and it's working just fine now!!!!! All 64gb ram >_<

Awsome news man, glad to hear it's working :)

haha, thanks. question now is what do i do with it? >_<

In that case thats a nice buy. If you dont mind me asking how much was it?

In that case thats a nice buy. If you dont mind me asking how much was it?

I sent you a pm :)

Awsome news man, glad to hear it's working :)

And I bet he can hear it too. Rack mounts are not noted for being quiet.

:P

Yeah, i'm not looking forward to setting up my new 2RU DL180 when i get back to perth... Will be doing so at home, and then installing in the datacentre... Might order some ear plugs before then.

180's aren't too bad once they get over that initial "FUCK I JUST STARTED UP I BETTER TEST THE FANS" bit.

Unless of course I've lost some hearing from being around them too often.