Sign in to follow this  
ameel

HP ProLiant DL585 Quad Dual-Core 2.8Ghz --> what to do?

Ok, I'm facing a dilemma: sell or keep?

If I keep it, it can't stay in my room; too loud. I'm thinking of putting it outside my room on a balcony (with roof), but rain would still hit the machine from the side. Is there any good way to "waterproof" it? If so, I'd be quite keen on keeping it and playing around.

Alternatively, I would sell it. What's best: as a whole or stripped parts (32x2gb ram, 2xnetwork cards, 4xcpus, 2xsome other card. is that all? then just throw away the mobo and metal? its gonna be such a waste D: )

Please advise!

Is there any good way to "waterproof" it?

Keep it inside.

so... you're really telling me to sell it? ~_~

Nope, just that putting it outside will fuck it if it'll get wet.

It's up to you from there....

Nope, just that putting it outside will fuck it if it'll get wet.

It's up to you from there....

yes yes, but i can only use/play with it if its outside. too loud in my room @_@ and if you're saying there's no way to waterproof it then selling it is D:

cheers

180's aren't too bad once they get over that initial "FUCK I JUST STARTED UP I BETTER TEST THE FANS" bit.

Unless of course I've lost some hearing from being around them too often.

I think you've just gotten used to it man. my 4 380g6's are like a hurricane all the time.

180's aren't too bad once they get over that initial "FUCK I JUST STARTED UP I BETTER TEST THE FANS" bit.

Unless of course I've lost some hearing from being around them too often.

Actually it's the same for me. It's completely deafening when it does the initial "FUCK I JUST STARTED UP I BETTER TEST THE FANS" bit. After that it's just SUPER LOUD, but not completely deafening

saw u tried to sell it on ocau already which didn't go too well.

maybe you could swap it for something quieter if you did have a use in mind for it, most rack mount designed gear is very noisy until it settles down, then some of it can be pretty bearable, as long as temps don't creep up or you ever have to reboot it. being quad cpu tho.. i'd imagine it can get a little warm in there and the fans never really stop screaming at 3,000rpm :)

personally i've had old decom rack gear at home to play with before and while its great to learn with, its not an ideal permanent solution. you could always find a compatible board and build yourself a quieter white box, and sell off the rest of the parts?

Edited by p0is0n

maybe you could swap it for something quieter if you did have a use in mind for it, most rack mount designed gear is very noisy until it settles down, then some of it can be pretty bearable, as long as temps don't creep up or you ever have to reboot it. being quad cpu tho.. i'd imagine it can get a little warm in there and the fans never really stop screaming at 3,000rpm :)

yes, didn't go well at all @_@ OCAU member HeXa was pretty much attacking me and the sale. He only made a bid when I requested for it and a lowball at that, but kept posting messages unrelated to purchase/interest in the item. Think he was jealous that I got a good deal and was selling it. I mean, if you look at OCAU generally, a lot of people do much much worse, but get away with it. In the end, my responses backfired and I got shit from it as mod on OCAU decided that I was making a "commercial sale" (im guessing based on what HeXa said and/or implied) and that I am thence prevented from selling anything on OCAU since ANYTHING i sell will be deemed a "commercial sale" ~_~ I can't help but think that mod may have been biased when I mentioned harassment and pressure from member HeXa (who is a senior member)

Edited by ameel

yes, didn't go well at all @_@ OCAU member HeXa was pretty much attacking me and the sale. He only made a bid when I requested for it and a lowball at that, but kept posting messages unrelated to purchase/interest in the item. Think he was jealous that I got a good deal and was selling it. I mean, if you look at OCAU generally, a lot of people do much much worse, but get away with it. In the end, my responses backfired and I got shit from it as mod on OCAU decided that I was making a "commercial sale" (im guessing based on what HeXa said and/or implied) and that I am thence prevented from selling anything on OCAU since ANYTHING i sell will be deemed a "commercial sale" ~_~ I can't help but think that mod may have been biased when I mentioned harassment and pressure from member HeXa (who is a senior member)

:lol:

Have you contacted any of the OCAU admins?

:lol:

explain?

Have you contacted any of the OCAU admins?

Yeah I have, I raised a lot of issues of contention, but the only response I got was "Sorry you'll have to sell elsewhere.".

After pleading some more, mod mentioned he'll think about it again later.

I find it ridiculous that I'm banned from selling because of the person who hijack my sales thread, attack and harass me and sales and who also got away scot-free.

Edited by ameel

explain?

Ameel was trying to offload the DL585 G2 on the OCAU forums 2 days after purchasing it from allbids

a lot of the canberra (and other members interested in enterprise servers) are allbids members and know the price these go for (as can anyone who can google)

someone in the thread (not me) linked the sale showing ameel paid $210 (+12.5% buyers premium) for the server which he was trying to sell for $520+

it is perfectly fine to sell for whatever he can get, just he misrepresented the item for sale, how and why it was acquired, state the server was in and reality of what he meant by "fully tested"

surely someone who has a degree in finance and legal practice should know better

Edited by HeXa

it is perfectly fine to sell for whatever he can get, just he misrepresented the item for sale, how and why it was acquired, state the server was in and reality of what he meant by "fully tested"

i wasn't aware that I needed to clarify how/why items were acquired. Even then, I did mention that it wasn't good for me, hence the sale (as you can note throughout this forum, my original intention was for my own project, but didn't realise how inconvenient it would be for my personal use).

Additionally, I got lucky that it's fully working and only ram needed re-seating. I also asked you for links to similar working & tested units that you claimed were sold for $180 which you NEVER provided.

edit: and the one that the other guy linked was for a spare one that I bought hoping I could mix and match to fix at least one of them. So yeah, I have 2 of those (well, still need to collect the one that isnt G2).

surely someone who has a degree in finance and legal practice should know better

Personal attacks now? even better... Edited by ameel

Additionally, I got lucky that it's fully working and only ram needed re-seating. I also asked you for links to similar working & tested units that you claimed were sold for $180 which you NEVER provided.

I said from $180-$320

http://www.allbids.com.au/Buy/?ID=496967

Personal attacks now? even better...

canberra is not a big place ;)

it got hard to keep track of your edits, but so far you have accused me of being 'jelly', not being very nice, attacking you and harassing you.

at no stage did any people replying in your thread act in a way that attacked you -> I can probably get a copy of the thread for "lols sake" if ppl care

holy crap >_< if I saw that I wouldn't have bought any in the first place D: i guess parts it is then ~_~

it got hard to keep track of your edits, but so far you have accused me of being 'jelly', not being very nice, attacking you and harassing you.

at no stage did any people replying in your thread act in a way that attacked you -> I can probably get a copy of the thread for "lols sake" if ppl care

i'm not talking about anyone other than you. And directly or indirectly, you were targeting attacks at me. I could feel it. Besides, like I said, you weren't very interested in buying/bidding, so what were you doing exactly?

holy crap >_< if I saw that I wouldn't have bought any in the first place D: i guess parts it is then ~_~

which is what I was trying to tell you in the OCAU thread :) the potential buyers are all informed and therefore cheap arses :p

honestly you should be putting this on eBay as is because the ACT market is saturated with ex-allbids gear (I must have like 100+ purchases alone and 20 dual/quad CPU servers in my spare room for parts)

offering to deliver to Syd isn't hard and the cost of petrol is less than a courier

i'm not talking about anyone other than you. And directly or indirectly, you were targeting attacks at me. I could feel it. Besides, like I said, you weren't very interested in buying/bidding, so what were you doing exactly?

you could feel it?

check the bid history on the DL585s... I don't bid on those for the exact reasons you found out (huge, noisy, power hungry, etc)

I normally bid on dell 1950s as a minimum for the DIMMs that I made you an offer for

EDIT: not that it matters as I just realised the part nos are for ECC reg... brain fart... won't get FB-DIMMs out of that AMD server :p

Edited by HeXa

I just think you guys should chill out a little. I'd prefer if Ameel's thread does not require closing or people to get warnings over a little squabble.

I am aware of allbids and have bought some stuff from there before. Regardless the reason I asked for a explanation is because Ma Baker closed the thread saying that it was a commercial sale (which was not true) and as a result of what ever went down in that thread ameel has now been banned from the trade section there? The worst part about it is that there is no discussion on topics like this on OCAU which is a shame for the community.

It could have been resolved way better.

But anyway.

Edited by mudg3

Hes not banned, but he did specifically say he was considering buying a bunch more to fix and sell regularly, which was probably why he was deemed commercial. OCAU is as much about how you word your post as what your selling or why. I've had heaps of threads closed for stupid reasons, doesn't mean your banned. Just be more careful how you advertise your sales in future.

Edited by p0is0n

Hes not banned, but he did specifically say he was considering buying a bunch more to fix and sell regularly, which was probably why he was deemed commercial. OCAU is as much about how you word your post as what your selling or why. I've had heaps of threads closed for stupid reasons, doesn't mean your banned. Just be more careful how you advertise your sales in future.

I didn't say anything about buying fixing and selling regularly. All I said was it shouldn't be an issue if I buy fix it and decide to sell it for more than what I paid on the basis of what I consider a fair price.My original intention was to get something to play with.

IM not banned from trading forum but I've been officially told I am unable to sell anything from now on and if I do try to sell anything it will be considered as commercial saleand I will be banned.

Basically I can still watch and purchase but not sell anything

I think.the basis of the mod decision was mostly based on posts and information implied by HeXa

Edited by ameel

I didn't say anything about buying fixing and selling regularly. All I said was it shouldn't be an issue if I buy fix it and decide to sell it for more than what I paid on the basis of what I consider a fair price.My original intention was to get something to play with.

OCAU members are very 'passionate' about making sure the forums do not become eBay-like. Many members get upset about reselling of items for profit as they believe it is not in the 'community spirit'.

IM not banned from trading forum but I've been officially told I am unable to sell anything from now on and if I do try to sell anything it will be considered as commercial saleand I will be banned.

Basically I can still watch and purchase but not sell anything

unless Ma used those exact words, then you have misunderstood the reason for the sale being closed. The commercial sales rule is there to prevent regular "for profit" sales. As p0is0n said, be careful with the way the sale is worded and there won't be a problem.

I think.the basis of the mod decision was mostly based on posts and information implied by HeXa

I wasn't the first to mention allbids,

I never posted the link to the allbids auction,

I didn't quote the commercial sales rules to the thread,

and YOU asked for the admins to clean up the thread - which Ma did so :D

I told you (not my exact words) to reconsider your pricing based on your prospective audience of informed buyers who knew what you paid. I suggested you part it out as I knew you had been considering doing so based on posts here. I also know the value of the parts, which you now probably realise wasn't actually lowballing you. I was the only one in 15 or so replies to actually bid :D

Your price check thread appears to have gone bye-bye... FYI - the last reply I saw said $200-$250

Edited by HeXa

Ma has decided, after further consideration, to let it go and restore my trading rights.