Sign in to follow this  
Harro2

Guild Wars 2 Beta. The After Effects

"The Guild Wars 2 Effect" Is a medical condition recently diagnosed on Guild Wars Guru.

"described as a complete loss of will to log into other MMOs anymore after experiencing Guild Wars 2 in the Beta.Common side effect include the cancellation of active subscriptions to other MMOs and repeated attempts to double-tap to dodge in TF2 with poor results."

This condition is in danger of reaching epademic propotions among people that played in the last Beta Weekend Event.

These are just a few symptoms people have reported;

*I had planned to go straight back to farming <Insert generic MMO here> but after playing GW2 on the weekend Id rather bash my head on a brick wall.

*Yeah I can't log into <Insert Famous MMO> because after 3 epic days of GW2 beta, I'm totally disinterested in anything else atm.

*I didn't cancel my sub but I did try to double tap to dodge out of a aoe in a raid last night in <Insert Generic MMO>. Didn't go so well.

* This is how I've been feeling for over a year since playing the game at PAX East 2011. I just cant bring myself to play another game anymore.

*This disease... has no cure... except more Guild Wars 2. It better hurry though, because I cannot live much longer without treatment.

*The first thing you look at when you start up your computer is your GW2 shortcut, and die a little inside every time you see it.

*I have subscriptions to both <New MMO> and<Newer MMO>, and... I haven't logged in. It's release day for <new MMO>, too. I keep saying I'll get into it when my significant other/gaming buddy is available to play with me again, but we all know the truth. GW2 has made all other games look like pale facsimiles in comparison, and I am ruined. Forever.

*The best thing I can come up with to do is to read this..[GW2 forum] Tells ya how bad I got it!?

*I used to enjoy < Insert MMO>, then I took a Crippling Shot to the knee. No? A GW2 to the knee. Either way, I'm now regretting pre-purchasing <New MMO>...nothing compares.

*With all the new stuff they are bringing to the table going back to any other MMO just seems boring.

Back to old style quests -> Nah

Back to grinding -> Don't think so

Back to old style combat -> Never!

*I can't even play <Insert game>.

*Right now I am borderline catatonic. I just want to go into a coma until the next BWE. Living with no GW2 is like the worst form of torture I have never imagined. While playing the BWE on Sunday, I was cognisant of tomorrow's woes but ridiculously unprepared.

*I am currently suffering from depression after beta ending. Also I have no interest in Hello Kitty Adventures <New MMO> anymore due to the GW2 effect. This blows monkey bawls big time.

*I'm hoping Diablo 3 will keep me entertained until Guild Wars 2 is released, but that's probably unrealistic.

*I suffered from this even before I played in the beta. Now it's even worse.

*Im having massive withdrawals.Lost interest to all other video games

*ArenaNet, Please give us back our crack!

*Suddenly I simply started watching more and more GW2 videos and then other games slowly stopped interesting me at all.

*I keep trying to start up the game, hitting login and yelling at the computer when it obviously doesn't. I've been loosing interest in all other games for almost a year now... however, now that I've tasted GW2 it is even worse. Bahhhh

*Not even <Insert MMO> can fill my need for pvp anymore after ive played in WvWvW.

*I really need to get back into <insert game>, but I just can't see it happening. GW2 is just too godlike. I don't want to look like a fool double tapping when it doesn't do anything in other games. Plus any PvP will just feel pathetic after the awesomeness of WvW. It's going to be a long month.

So be warned my fellow Atomicans the only cure is more GW2. If you plan on playing another game do it before playing Guild Wars 2 because you might just catch this terrable dissease and not want to play another game again.

[Please note this topic was brought up as an attempt at humour and not trying to troll other games. I just found it a funny that other people where feeling the same why as I did after the BWE and thought I would share there thoughts on the topic. I edited some posts by removing the name of the games they mentioned in hope to not offend any one or troll]

I'll still be playing GW2 and SWTOR :).

And maybe Mount & Blade: Napoleon Wars. :p.

Oh and I hope that for GW2 there be something to stop the stunlock spam that I got in a few matches, cause most of the time I was cc'd like a mob. And to fix the issue with the necro being near unkillable :\.

Edited by Zhaker

Not getting any of those withdrawals you mention with GW2.

Getting it with TERA though.

GW2 is now no longer on my list of "must plays" this year. TERA will pretty much eat what little time I have to dedicated to MMOs now. Honestly, it's a mix of vanilla WoW, with Age of Conan / Dragon Nest / any hack and slash combat. Fast paced, huge open world, very pretty graphics, good voice acting, and a fast levelling system. The only downside is the traditional questing format, which I agree is a nice refreshing change in GW2. But the combat in TERA is just ten times superior to that of GW2, and any other MMO out there. The PVP is far more balanced, this is because there is only a small amount of customisation you can do to your characters abilities. No talent trees, or overpowered specs, etc. Everyone of each class is the same spec, so it purely comes down to who is the better player.

The boss fights make you think, everyone plays a vital role in keeping themselves alive, and not relying solely on their healer. Dodging out of the way of a charge attack, constantly moving to be behind the boss, watching your party members are (especially as a healer as you have to mouse over them with a crosshair to heal them.) It's bloody brilliant!

I'm harping on, but honestly, no game has got me as excited as TERA since beginning it! It feels like when I first started playing WoW.

Beware, real life <.<

Edited by clung3

We all know you're only playing Terra for wasd movement...

The more ridgedly you limit players to a smaller set of skills, the more you enforce predefined roles on someone at class creation and (particularly in pvp) the less it becomes about the skill of the player and the more it comes down to basically how following boss mods in pve. You know exactly what skills that other player has and how you are supposed to react to it. That warrior has to have charge so as soon as he uses it you're going to root him and run away while shooting fireballs at him. There's no reacting on the go there, it's all just predetermined reactions that a limit of choice has enforced upon you or a paper is greater then rock scenario. Give that warrior the choice to make it into a ranged character instead and the mage has to come up with a lot more answers on the spot. One forces you to grow as a player, the other just wants you to read a guide or watch a youtube video.

It's like playing full blown Magic: The Gathering vs the prebuilt version on steam. In the later you know exactly what is in your deck, exactly what is in your opponents and what each can do to counter the other. The near endless customisation in the former means you have to learn to adapt much quicker and to a multitude of things you couldn't expect. It's easy to guess which is the more rewarding and skill based.

Besides the explicit comment about a crosshair, the description of the boss fight works just as well for GW2.

Haha, WASD jokes will never end... :P

I probably shouldn't use the term skill-based. These MMORPGs are far from the pinnacle of 'gaming skill' if it even exists. IMO the most skilled gamers are those that have 200+ APM in SC2 and games like that.

They both reward you for doing different things, basically. In TERA, yes if you stand there and you see your opponent about to cast a huge whirlwind on your ass, you're going to want to dodge it. But what if you just use an ability yourself and you are still locked into the animation? That whirlwind is going to hurt. That's why I think TERA is more fun, you don't just hit your attacks in a sequence of events depending on what the other player is doing, you really have to think about it because once you hit your ability, you're locked into it until it ends (which is what would happen in a real life sword fight) so it comes down to timing of both offensive and defensive. And yes every class has a pre-defined role. I think this is a good thing. There are still a heap of abilities you learn when you level up, and you will use each and every one of them. Each class (I am level 25 now) that I have faced has been a super fair fight on both parts. Tanks, and even healers can kill people if they play well. It's disgustingly balanced on the PVP side of things for a newly released game. (Though it has been out in Korea a while, they spent a good 12 months 'westernising' the game.)

IMO GW2 just gives you the illusion of choice. A few weeks after release, math geeks will theory craft the best specs and weapon combinations etc. and it will come down to the same old formula of target this, spam this, target this, CC it, etc.

But... I will enjoy both I think, at the end of the day they are two completely different concepts and games. GW2 is a lot more fast paced, exciting and spammy, watching my Thief roll over the top of 3-4 people at once was awesome. On the other hand TERA is slower overall, and you have to think about every single button push incredibly carefully or you will get your face melted or chopped off. :P

A 'trade' is just a failure on both parts to read what's going even if it is going to benefit one more then the other. Probably best not to go too far off here or we're going to end up in Street Fighter territory...

Never believe anyone who takes fifteen months to 'westernise' a game full of WoW style questing that people skip over. Particularly when they were running the closed beta for east and west at the same time nearly two years ago. You can probably bet the vast majority of that time was spent trying to find loop holes to squeeze out the 'stolen' Lineage source code in the west.

You're right,comparing the balance between the two is a little off though. One has had fifteen odd months of commercial release to balance their game whereas the other has had a month of closed testing. There's nothing to be gained holding that against the former though and all those years of 'balancing' never helped Blizzard do anything other then FOTM...

As for illusion of choice, Arenanet does have http://www.gwpvx.com/Category:Meta_working_PvP_builds in their favour. That link is just the current cream of pvp builds. That's not including good, great or anything below the filter threshold. It's not listing all the builds that have come and gone with balance changes (probably averaging once a month or so). It's not including the new monthly flux builds and it's not including any of the pve builds. It is possible to reach a reasonably balanced endgame and still keep it constantly evolving while still having a lot of choice.

Well, unless you're a ranger. In that case you've only ever really had one build...

Fair enough Clung3. I'm happy you found your game in Tera though I'm not entirely sure you actually get much of what Guildwars 2 is about and why so many have said they got the GW2 effect.

I know it took me at least half the first day just to get used to the controls, learning basics of my skills, then placment /movement and the dodging mechanics. Even after watching 100s of videos, reading up on the game and visiting the GW2 tools calculator http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#g

For the first 4 hours or so I wasnt sure I would like the game as much at all , but then it all started to come together and did the game get fun to play? fuck yeah it did. I was alone at first but many times I found people to run withwhome I met along the way in my adventures, we worked together doing more challenging things but at any time we might head another dirrection but that was ok, just over the hill I notice more players and dynamically we would just join up and do somthing else. I remember finding a group neer the Ascalon Wall and found a skill point challenge, took all of us to use every bit of our skill to get it fighting off the ghosts of ascalon.. later we ended up finding a camp of Etins that had taken over a fort which we retook then had to defend wave after wave for the local malitia.

Late on the 2 day I explored more if Divinities Reach (human city) and Lions arch(Tyria Main city). I havn't seen such attention to detail in any game and I didn't think it was possible to design such a beautifull world. The world design and the ambient sound is astonishing, every where I looked was a piece of art. Ive now got the GW2 effect and I want to explore some more. I log in 6am sat-logged out 1am sunday, back on 8am sun-11pm sun, worked monday logded in for 2 hours after work, I spent the entire 2 hours in awe of Lions Arch, I even saw the how the old GW lions arch looked like under water, wandered though the sewers and found a thieves guild etc. I didnt even go to the BETA finale :D. I had the GW2 effect so much I can't stop thinking about it lol. So much so I totally forgot about D&D night. sorry AD and crew.

There was too much to take in, every inch of the PvE world had something. There are many examples, like your helping in the beginning of the norn area feeding bears, removing graphetti and fighting off centaur then you enter the water neerby and discover a cave that you didn't even know was there, you explore further and come across an amasing cavern filled with mining dredge and your off on another adveruter where will it lead? This is what GW2 means to me.

It's just so breath taking....

The finer points of combat will take a long time to master. And so what if there is a favoured build of the week. If every one is running them it comes back to player skill to use them and new builds to counter them. And no build will overcome good team work. But you know what, some may not or ever be great at PvP but you can still feel usfull and contribute to the fight. Gathering resource, repairing gates, building war machines, participating in Dynamic events, reviving fallen comrades. I was reading a Dev comment saying they might consider even putting dungeons (control point) in the WvW areas for after release which sounds very cool.

In the 3 days of Beta I just played PvE, rolled 4 characters, only saw the starter and second areas of Human, norns and CHarr and and even then I didnt see all these areas had to offer, probably only scratched the surface. Its that huge. I didn't have time to even look at Crafting or any type of PvP yet. Had too much fun exploring and experienceing the renoun hearts and Dynamic events. I will jump into WvWvW in the next Beta, from neerly all acounts from others, the experience was alot of fun and the event was a raging success.

Ok the games not perfect but IMHO pretty damn close. Have to keep being reminded its just BETA, its not ready yet. Lots of work to optimise graphics, net work, balancing and bug fixing.

Im not sure I would get this with Tera. I did the same with Tera, watch alot of vids, read alot about it but havnt had the good fortune to play it yet and not sure I want to to be honest. And here is why----

1) I have never and will never pay a subscription though I'll happily pay for expansions and content If I feel im still enjoying the game. Two fold here, the Devs get my money, I get more game.

2) I don't like the characters, looks to much like hello kitty adventures. IM not against sexualised content, im 37 red blooded male, but this just wasnt my taste :P Please don't hate me for this it's just my personal opionion

3) I think the lance looks rediculous

4) The leveling experience looked totally boring, same old MMO Quest Hub kill ten trees/rats/bears return there branch/teeth/pelts.

5) I was interested in Tera's PvP so I watch a video and saw the most disturbing immature video of my entire life, a group of 5 or 6 idiots ganking soloing lowbies in PvE area and chatting/squeeling/laughing like kiddies, they sounded like they where at leat in there 20's. Then later when a group of players that would have provided a challenge (didn't even out number them) they ran away yelling at each other to get the hell out of there. I just dont want to encounter while playing a game.

Edited by Harro2

I thought TERA was as grindy as Aion and that game got old when the Asmodians were constantly ganked by the Elyos in PvP gear that I could "NEVER" attain (as a new Asmodian). And playing Aion in a PvE thing was stupid...

Playing GW2 to SWTOR well its TOTALLY different, but GW2 I seem to be CC'd quite alot more than SWTOR, and it seems there are no diminishing returns for being CC'd in GW2 which would mean that playing melee is ONLY good if you can quickly CC first over the other guy :\.

From GW2 PvP I found Necro probably the best class for PvP followed by Elementalist and then Mesmer. I hope they give melee more chances to break out of CC as well as being immune to CC for a few seconds. Cause its really hard to play PvP (also due to lag and my issues with charge :( ).

Yeah, there's no denying TERA is somewhat grindy. I don't see the difference between this and any other MMO (bar GW2) out there though. My mate just started playing, caught up to me last night and we went around duo'ing BAMs the whole night, it's as fast if not faster than solo questing, and much more thrilling.

I absolutely loved the levelling system in GW2, don't get me wrong, probably the strongest point of the game IMO. You were levelling without even knowing it! So good. I just didn't really 'feel' the combat. It felt very samey to me for some reason. I think WoW has honestly ruined this form of combat for me in any other MMO, which is why I'm finding TERA a refreshing change.

Anyway, apples and oranges, I guess! Will definitely play next GW2 beta weekend. Really hoping they have it use hardware acceleration. Hated how it ran on my poor old Q6600, totally ruined it for me :<

I imagine a Mace/shield and sword/warhorn could be an effective combination in PvP. Use mace/shield vs mellee and Sword/warhorn vs ranged & kiting foe (carry a longbow and/or Rifle to swap out for longrange situations like a siege or agaist a huge mob and AOE controlled zones) Pick your battles, adjust to the conditions, be smart with skill use and combat becomes lots of fun.

http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#w;aaaaa;aaa...aaaa;WedV;bjkWY

Mace

Pulverize ( Weakness 5sec, reduces foes endurance so they cant use dodge as much, They do less damage as well)

Skull Crack (stun)

Counter blow (counters next attack increase adrenaline)

Pommel Bash (daze 1sec)

Shield

Shield Bash (stun)

Shield stance (block incoming attacks)

[you get 2 stuns, 1 daze and 3 damage mitigating skills in weakness, counter attack and block] +your 2 dodges makes for a highly defensive build for toe to toe fighting so you can stay in the fight longer by not getting hit.

Sword

Sever Artery (bleeding 8sec -360/sec)

Gash (bleeding 8 Sec -360)

Flurry (immobilize)

Savage Leap (gap closer)

Hamstring (cripple)

Warhorn

Charge (10sec +33% movment, removes cripple, immobilize and being frozen for you and allies)

Call to arms (+100% endurance regen 10 sec, Weakness 6sec reduces foes endurance so they cant use dodge as much, They do less damage as well)

[2x bleeds, immobilize, cripple, charge, leap, weakness and endurance regen] plus your 2 dodges that regen faster. You get great movement skills to get at kiters once you got them cripple them and immobilize

Take mending as healing skill to remove 2 conditions [ your low on health you cant move this is life saver)

Utilities

Endure Pain--take no damage 5 secs , break stun

Frenzy -- improve crit, quickness, break stun

Signet of stamina --endurance boost, remove conditions

Elite

Battle STandard-- Stability (ignore control effects), fury and might boost, revives your comrades

The warrior has lots of tools to work with to last longer in a fight, good timing and skill use to great effect can not only stop you from getting stun locked but also casue it agaist your foe. Its all about mitigating damage as its better than needing to heal in the first place, dodge, counter and block at the right times is important. The warhorn, utilities and a heal give you quite alot of skills that can remove stun locking (thinks thats 5), Zhaker. :D Will have to see what the other professions offer.

Edited by Harro2

I imagine a Mace/shield and sword/warhorn could be an effective combination in PvP. Use mace/shield vs mellee and Sword/warhorn vs ranged & kiting foe (carry a longbow and/or Rifle to swap out for longrange situations like a siege or agaist a huge mob and AOE controlled zones) Pick your battles, adjust to the conditions, be smart with skill use and combat becomes lots of fun.

http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#w;aaaaa;aaa...aaaa;WedV;bjkWY

Mace

Pulverize ( Weakness 5sec, reduces foes endurance so they cant use dodge as much, They do less damage as well)

Skull Crack (stun)

Counter blow (counters next attack increase adrenaline)

Pommel Bash (daze 1sec)

Shield

Shield Bash (stun)

Shield stance (block incoming attacks)

[you get 2 stuns, 1 daze and 3 damage mitigating skills in weakness, counter attack and block] +your 2 dodges makes for a highly defensive build for toe to toe fighting so you can stay in the fight longer by not getting hit.

Sword

Sever Artery (bleeding 8sec -360/sec)

Gash (bleeding 8 Sec -360)

Flurry (immobilize)

Savage Leap (gap closer)

Hamstring (cripple)

Warhorn

Charge (10sec +33% movment, removes cripple, immobilize and being frozen for you and allies)

Call to arms (+100% endurance regen 10 sec, Weakness 6sec reduces foes endurance so they cant use dodge as much, They do less damage as well)

[2x bleeds, immobilize, cripple, charge, leap, weakness and endurance regen] plus your 2 dodges that regen faster. You get great movement skills to get at kiters once you got them cripple them and immobilize

Take mending as healing skill to remove 2 conditions [ your low on health you cant move this is life saver)

Utilities

Endure Pain--take no damage 5 secs , break stun

Frenzy -- improve crit, quickness, break stun

Signet of stamina --endurance boost, remove conditions

Elite

Battle STandard-- Stability (ignore control effects), fury and might boost, revives your comrades

The warrior has lots of tools to work with to last longer in a fight, good timing and skill use to great effect can not only stop you from getting stun locked but also casue it agaist your foe. Its all about mitigating damage as its better than needing to heal in the first place, dodge, counter and block at the right times is important. The warhorn, utilities and a heal give you quite alot of skills that can remove stun locking (thinks thats 5), Zhaker. :D Will have to see what the other professions offer.

Not sure I tried mending but it didnt remove the conditions all the time and instead most of the time I was CC'd in combat, the ONLY times I wasnt CC'd is if I get the jump AND someone cc'd them for me (eg. elementalist friend). Then I can pour in damage and pretty much destroy him without a thought. But that was my experience in PvP and my friend agreed range is probably going to be more key than melee.

The real problem as mentioned is the charging, as I need to "Manually" target to get the range as well as making sure there is no LOS issues AND that there is no lil box in the way that I need to jump to charge. Also note that most of my charging skills was closer range than ranges cc abilities which was odd or that I was lagged, either way was confusing as hell. I do like some of the attacks but it was hard to control, I'm blaming lag for this because I dont think its the mechanics, just that it was super laggy to play in that Beta weekend, so I cant really get a grasp of things.

Probably the reason you where CCed alot is because Warrior's with in mellee range are devastating, as mellee weapons do the most damage, stun and knockdown alot. Players know this so they will CC and strafe/kite you as it's key to thier own survival to stay at range. As a Engineer most of my time in this BETA, the key to my survival was to use my netting(stun) and blunderbust(knockback) skills on any one with mellee targeting meso I could stay at range.

The point im trying to make is there are tools you can use to remove these effects and a skillfull player will not waste these skills till they are required, rather than spam skills as they come off cooldown. Not only that you can use them to your own advantage. The warrior in this example has alot of stun and cripple attacks and break stun skills.

For example, a ranged player cripples/immobilize or chilled you. Switch to sword/warhorn if not already. Use Charge, this removes cripple/stun and gives a tempory speed boost to close the gap. Lay down hamstrung to cripple them and stop them from kiting you. Sever artery and gash to laydown a tonne of Bleed damage. As soon as cripple wares off use flurry to immobilises them (hopfully your adrenaline is up by then) so you can keep them in range for more hurt. They may use there own skills to get out of it and move away, keep in range with a savage leap. If you can keep them in close range, just before you switch weapons use your Call to Arms (more dodge for you/ less dodge for them) and switch to Mace/Shield and use skull crack, pommel bash and Shield bash at the right times to keep them close with stuns. You could also use your savage leap as an extra dodge to get out of an AOE field (dont always need it for offence), or you could dodge out of the AOE field then use leap to get back in. Try and use allies AOE's and leap though them for finshing moves. I agree that leaping/charge skills might be hard to target but I'm sure with practice you can perfect it.

When health is low and still waiting on your self heal to cool down, slap down the utlility Endure pain , this will buy the crittical 5 seconds you may need. When team mate is downed crank your Elite/ulitmate Battle standard, then stun the player targeting him to buy some time. Your endurance is low or some one has thrown a weakness condition on you, use signet of stamina. Big Hammer guy pounding on you, time your Counter blow and Shield stance skills, stun skills, daze skills and dodge to most effect. and hopfully you wont get hit.

Of coarse if your in a situation where mellee is not preferable, like siege or tonne of AOE in a kill zone, you'll have to get out of combat range and change to a ranged weapon your self in a battle of attrition. Wait for the battle to progress in your mellee's favour before getting close and personal. If you do happen to find yourself in a kill zone in PvP or at the feet of a Giant in PVE use your vengence skill (its like a last stand ability) to run back to your comrades so they can revive you and your back in the fight.

As you can see combat is very engaging. Mobility is key to survival. Knowing your skills and when to use them is important. Working as a team and bouncing off each others skills in unison can set up some nice combo's. Most of all 1 weekend of BETA is only long enough to learn the basics. I think it will take time to master and understand what it is your opponent is doing and how you can counter it to your own advantage. This is why I saw alot of people complaining about mellee combat, its hard to learn, rewarding in the damage you can do and hard to avoid damage upclose. You don't really want to be with in mellee range if your out numbered or in situations where there is a shit tonne of effects on a boss that can 1-2 stomp you and you cant see shit.

So yeah I wasn't doing so well either (need more practice) and was really enjoying my Engineer at range but I do plan on making a warrior next beta and when the game goes live. :D

Here is a build I was working on for a warrior. I call it The General http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#w;faSpS;Yaa...bXaa;WVYa;bWUjY

Plan on staying back with longbow or rifle and using mace/warhorn when situations are favourable.

Edit

Just wanted to add that I would find mending (heal skill) most usfull as its got a 20sec cool down and vital for mellee if your getting blind conditions thrown on you alot or up against a necro whos laying down a tonne of conditions.

Worst feer would be a mesmer/illusionist who can use a lot of distortion/mind wreck and confusion causing you to self harm, not to mention targeting them a pain wondering which one is real and which one is the illusion :P

Edited by Harro2

You make it sound easy, but its not. The game is good just that I feel that this game is going to be heavily range based over melee based for PvP.

Anywho I'll stick with Warrior on Release anyway and I'll look at the builds, I love being a Norn though :).

Yeah, much easyier to explain than it is to execute. But once you get the meta game down (an idea of what to do and how to play) you just need to remember what your skills do and when to use them, practice and master it. Definatly not easy.

I agree with you mate. Ranged probably will be the way to go most of the time, especially in WvWvW and Boss fights. You'll just have to use mellee when it's tacticly an advantage. Like 1v1, defending a line/choke point and you have suport backing you up.

I played the GW2 beta and found Tera to vastly superior. The main reason was I found Tera was a million times more fluent and smooth than GW2.

As Clung3 said Tera is grindy which is a little bit of a shame however the great dungeons and combat make up for that.

But I'm looking forward to playing Guild Wars 2 on full release but right now I'm in love with Tera :)

Combat, while important is 1 area of many facets that make an MMO good. I've read many reviews/reports/ forum debates by people that have played both games and many have prefered GW2 combat over Tera's combat and visa versa. Just comes down to personal preference I guess. Both are good and its good to see the action type combat enter the MMO scene.

Guild wars is doing it deferently with NO Tank/DPS/Healer specific classes. The major reason, but not the only, is the pick up and go with your mates or people you just meet to do content and not have to wait because you dont have a specific class in your group. At the same time you might need to tweek your builds, switch weapon sets and work as a team all the while player skill is the key factor to success much more than gear grind equalling skill. Each member must take responsablity to pick up the agro or adjust their role dynamicly as the fight develops. I like it and it works for the Guild Wars IP. I like that possition and movement is important. There are blocking skills and dodging and that when you fire a skill it has a chance to miss, either some one got in the way of your attack and so missed the intended target, you got out of range or used an obsticale like a pillar between you and the arrow. The game is hybrid TAB target, for example while might focus on 1 target your sword swings and the arc of the attack hits any one in that arc, whether it was TAB targeted or not. You need to place your area of effect spell and skills. Many skills have a combo with other players skills and so on.

In regards to action combat, if I had the oportunity to develop an MMO for my self I'd go for a Ranged First Person shooter, mixed with a Mount and Blade style hand to hand and throw in some cooldown skills element for spells, effects and conditions into the mix. Maybe with a Mount and blade battle command feature using NWN's radial interaction for NPC followers. Ad this in with a medieval feel but a SCI-FI setting with space flight arcade slash flight simulator, mounts and piloting game......:P maybe Star Wars/Xwing/Mount and blade/BattleField/Guildwars/Mechwarrior hybrid ?

Anyways the purpose of this thread was not to get into a GW2 vs Tera debate. I actually wanted to share my thoughts with other Atomic forum go'ers and see if they felt the same way. I do feel like I got a rather cold response, just seems people here aren't really interested in GW2 as much as I thought they would be. After all its only BETA with no release date as of yet. Maybe when the game is close to release, minor bugs, more polish and tweeking it will generate more support from the Atomic community. Why? Because GW2 is a good game, it's doing things differently in the MMO space and doing it well. I want it to succeed and set the new benchmark for future games to come, and not the same old Call of Duty/WOW clone. I prefer the Pay for box, pay for expansion model. I found the attention to detail was vastly superior to any game ive played in any genre although Morrowwind and fall Out 3 where pretty good :). Most notably for me was the word design and the interactive nature of the dynamic events. The developers have not only made a huge world but that world is full of content. An example I found was a skill point node, it was an underground area, there was 3 ways of getting there. One was direct down the stiars, one was jumping down a drain and the third way was entering a huge lake half way across the map and finding a sewer pipe that lead all the way to that Skill point. If you like exploring this game covers that in spades. The designers not only made an asthetic pleasing painterly style of graphics that works beautifully but also had no worries of using assets where nothing was samey and the effort put in by the sound studio was very impressive. The Cities are perfect for a fantasy setting, the're huge, immersive and awe inspiring. I like how you can't out level content and get level adjusted to the aera your in, you can go back help your friends or go back to content you missed. I like how groups form dynamicaly as events become evident and the places might not be the same as the last time you where leveling there. It's awsome if your not the greatest at combat as there are other ways to earn rewards like reviving fallen players, gathering supplies for fortifications in WvW, rewards for gathering Crafting materials and death is not overly punishing. Theres too much for me to type but I really want to keep my post short and precise.

IM 37 and I've played computer games for 28 years now, I think I know when something speacial in the gaming industry comes out. For me its the same feeling when Dune came out, when Doom came out, BF1942 came out and Never Winter Nights came out.

I wanted to talk about what I know about GW2 and why I think it is the best MMO I've played. To experess my feelings of sadness and withdrall when the 1st BETA weakend Ended. Coming away from that weekend many felt sadness when it ended, it was hard to go back to other games we where playing because the way GW2 was doing things and most of all was alot of fun. Some of us had huge expectations and to come out the other end not only to having the expectations met but in many ways exceeded. It's definatly not perfect there where a few things that needed work on. For me that was mostly minor things like having better chat options like /say and chat bubbles and a first person view among other tweeks needed in the game but it is BETA. It was an awsome expeience to say the least. It just put a huge grin on our faces collectively but also a feeling of loss because we can't log in and play it :( Hence the GW2 after effect, maybe you just did'nt get it. Game can't please every one.

To finish my rant and endless dribble I'll finish with this video doing the rounds at the moment which gave me a good laugh.

Skyrim is not Guild Wars 2

Oh and some good coverage of a DE where every one gets Owned :D

Edited by Harro2

I think plenty of people are loving GW2, I know my friends and I did, I just didn't get to play too much as I worked Saturday, Sunday and Monday :( So I didn't get any withdrawls. Well come to think of it I didn't play any games for the rest of week haha. Next Beta I'm taking the whole time off work, and locking myself away with the computer.

I'm sure I'll be getting some symptoms after Tuesday's stress test. Can't come fast enough.

I wonder if I'll be bored of blackops multiplayer after it?!

Maybe *evil grin*

I'll be at work on a weekday. So when is the stress test? Next tuesday 15 May?

Waiting for next BETA weekend, be good to meet up in game :D

An MMO stress test on the day Diablo 3 comes out? I'm not sure 27 logins over a 48 hour period will be enough to test their servers ...

The morning before D3, when everyone is itching for something to do...

The morning before D3, when everyone is itching for something to do...

+1

Next week is going to be an EPIC time for gaming..

This weekend, Secret World Beta.

Then, Tuesday off.. get up 4am.. play GW2 till 11am, meet a mate for lunch.. pickup the collectors edition DIII .. go home, install and grab a nap in prep for an all nighter.

Can't. Freaking. Wait :D