Sign in to follow this  
ameel

WTB (Want to build) Storage/NAS Server

So, after my streak of poor luck, I'm moving on.

At the moment I'm still stuck with my HP Proliant n36L microserver.

I want to upgrade to a case that can hold between 10 - 20 HDDs (hotplugging like the n36l or servers generally would be nice, but i'm not fussed without it).

I don't want something significantly bigger than the n36L (i.e. nothing like a 4RU rack please).

I just want a simple option in which I can stack the hard drives and have an mAtx (micro Atx) or itx (mini-itx) board to handle the hard drives. I'm hoping to add up to 3 PCI-e Sata cards (each pci-e containing 4 sata ports) in addition to the onboard sata ports (i'm hoping onboard has 6 by default).

So, please recommend the following:

Case

Board

PSU to match case and power board & up to 10 HDDs (i'll consider upgrading PSU lateron if needed)

As in my current n36l system, I'm hoping to use Ubuntu raid 5 on the drives since the Ubuntu will mostly be just a file-sharing server & occasional proxy.

Cheers

Not going to happen dude. Mini-Itx generally only have one PCI or one PCI-E slot.

That's it.

mATX are a bit better but to get what you want you are probably going to have to go ATX. This IMO is not an issue as you will need an ATX size case to fit all those HDDS, in fact you will most likely need a full tower size case even when using something like http://www.pcicase.com.au/backplane_modules/snt3051sas.html which fits 5 HDDs in to 3 5.25" drive bays.

You will also run in to trouble trying to raid across multiple controllers.

I wouldnt be using the cheap 4 port pci-e sata cards,

What you want is a LSI 8 or 16 port SAS card or 4 port SAS card and SAS expander

i was going to say something along the same lines, mATX won't have 6 sata ports and room for 3 controller cards.

the case is going to be so big why do you want a tiny little mobo?

Just find any case you can fit your drives in, hack drive cages out of any other old cases to use if you need to.

Its going to be big, but you do plan to fit 20 HDDs in the there.

you probably just want 1 controller card running the show, and if you want a seperate OS drive, run that off your mobo.

something like this would probably be overkill but would do the trick

http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecompone...9280-24i4e.aspx

Thanks for the replies guys. The problem with towers and general cases is that they waste a lot of space (esp. over the motherboard area) which is why I want something other than a regular tower with a 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter.

That said, this looks freaking awesome but i'm wary of the cost. Reason i mentioned fitting a new sata pci-e cards is to save on costs. I wouldn't want to spend more than $150-$200 on a card. I can't find the exact model on staticice. Would anyone be able to link me to the card's price in Australia. Alternatively 8port or 16port cards would be awesome as well (if pricing is OK).

Back to the case though, any particular suggestions?

Also, I would prefer a software solution (ubuntu raid 5) rather than a hardware solution, so that I can always move and play with the hdds across systems without hardware raid constraints, i.e. i don't need a card that does raid, so long as it has many ports :D

cheers

Edited by ameel

i sell them at my work for about $1300, you'd need cables too, which are about $20 each too.

even our cost price is about 1080 so its not cheap, you better really want it haha.

let me see if i can find a suitable/affordable card for you given the budget.

i sell them at my work for about $1300, you'd need cables too, which are about $20 each too.

even our cost price is about 1080 so its not cheap, you better really want it haha.

let me see if i can find a suitable/affordable card for you given the budget.

holy crap my cap >_< haha, thanks mate. looking forward to your budget solution :D

well, i guess the megaraid sas card is really worth it, but probably not in my case since i'm just a home user :P at this point i really only need about 10 HDDs but it's good to keep further upgrading options for the future.

Note with that card you need a x8 PCIe or x16 size slot. It won't fit a PCI-E 1x size slot.

It is also ~$1400.00 US.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816118137

The problem with towers and general cases is that they waste a lot of space (esp. over the motherboard area)

You still need the slots to fit all those drives dude.

Yes, of course the slots are fine, but generally towers waste a lot of space I reckon, compared to the n36l for instance where it's all packed and tight :)

a quick staticice search seems to price 8port cards for about $180-$200. I guess 16ports are out of the question given my budget?

we sell these 8 ports for about $300

you won't really find anything suitable much cheaper than $250-300, unless you look at ebay or second hand.

our prices are a bit high though, haha.

would allow you 8 drives in array, and maybe 2 more drives off your mobo for OS?

edit: not suggesting that exact model, but gives you an idea of what to look for.

Edited by p0is0n

I currently have the HP P400 (from the DL585 server). That allows 8 ports, right?

Wait, HP P400 Specs here says max drive support 18. How does that work?

Edited by ameel

Sell me your N36L and i'll be your one stop shop to this.

i'd be willing to if you expand further please :D

I currently have the HP P400 (from the DL585 server). That allows 8 ports, right?

Through expanders as I understand it, but only for SAS (serial attached SCSI) drives not SATA drives.

http://www.storagesearch.com/sas-art2.html

it should work fine with up to 8 sata drives, but you'll need SFF8484 to 4x sata cables for that.

with a backplane/expander it may be compatible with up to 18 drives, but you would be better with $10 cables off ebay :)

Edited by p0is0n

You will have to wait until I get home tonight. Or tomorrow but I have 21tb's at home in my NAS :D

You will have to wait until I get home tonight. Or tomorrow but I have 21tb's at home in my NAS :D

alright. looking forward to your proposal/offer

it should work fine with up to 8 sata drives, but you'll need SFF8484 to 4x sata cables for that.

with a backplane/expander it may be compatible with up to 18 drives, but you would be better with $10 cables off ebay :)

Ah cheers P0is0n, SAS/SATA expansion is something I am a bit vague on. Don't see much of it with "little old lady computers". :P

Oh BTW ameel. With 10 or 20 drives you are still going have noise issues, just from the drives themselves.

Edited by aliali

Through expanders as I understand it, but only for SAS (serial attached SCSI) drives not SATA drives.

http://www.storagesearch.com/sas-art2.html

i don't know why they say max supported is 18, when max you can connect is 8. but i don't know a lot about more complicated storage systems.

SAS expander most likely, but good luck finding/getting one to work with that card.

yeah hp expanders sell for $500ish on ebay @_@

man im so confused now.

How about the case? anyone?

Your asking too much from a standard case unless you want to replace the 5" bays with like SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B 5x3.5's.

Anything 10+ pretty much means chenbro, supermicro or norco. Why do you require so many drives? Is it a single array? have you considered back ups?

Actually, I'm beginning to think a 4RU solution may be OK. Height and width wise 4RU is great, it's just the freaking depth/length that makes it too big. At least i'm having a hell of a time with the DL585 (it's just ridiculously huge).

Basically the depth/length of RU cases bug me a bit, but I may be tempted given the solutions i saw. How cheap can I get those?

edit: or do RU cases' depth/length vary, and its just the DL585 that's ridiculously huge?

also, where can i find/how much are these 4ru cases?

Edited by ameel

Alright, the "most viable" option I found is this (for 15 HDDs):

ATX Case with all 5.25" bays such as Centurion 590.

Then 3x 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" hotswap bays such as Chenbro SK33502T (i don't need usb stuff. just sata will do)

Then ill figure out atx mobo with 6-8 sata ports + existing HP P400 (8 sata ports with the right cable), or another PCI-e sata card that I have somewhere with 4 ports.

What do you guys reckon?

What's the cheapest parts I can get for the case and bay convertor?

cheers