Sign in to follow this  
ameel

WTB (Want to build) Storage/NAS Server

the one i linked above is a bit of a beast, we sell them for around $1200.

you could get a chenbro 16 drive model for about $600-700. it depends on what you want eg. redundant psu, sata 3gbps/sata 6gbps etc.

check our the supermicro or chenbro website perhaps?

something like this might be fine for up to around 10 drives

http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/produ...ail.php?sku=175

chassis size is usually about 45cm wide x 65cm deep for most rack mounted stuff. height varies, so do dimensions a little between models but this is a rough guide.

Edited by p0is0n

the one i linked above is a bit of a beast, we sell them for around $1200.

you could get a chenbro 16 drive model for about $600-700. it depends on what you want eg. redundant psu, sata 3gbps/sata 6gbps etc.

check our the supermicro or chenbro website perhaps?

something like this might be fine for up to around 10 drives

http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/produ...ail.php?sku=175

chassis size is usually about 45cm wide x 65cm deep for most rack mounted stuff. height varies, so do dimensions a little between models but this is a rough guide.

Thanks for your enthusiasm p0is0n, but these are too expensive for me D:

So:

3x NORCO SS-500 5 Bay SATA / SAS Hot Swap Rack Module (3x137)

1x CM Centurion 590 (1x99)

--------------------------------

Total = 510?

The bays are quite pricy to be honest, but I can't find anything cheaper. I guess I could get away with just 2 bays at the moment and later on get the 3rd one when needed, hence $373 for now? What do you guys reckon?

budget in fan relpacement with lower rpm/db ones

could you give me a link/price/model number for such fans?

How much do you guys reckon I would be able to sell my n36l for (money that would go towards getting the new server)

So:

3x NORCO SS-500 5 Bay SATA / SAS Hot Swap Rack Module (3x137)

1x CM Centurion 590 (1x99)

--------------------------------

Total = 510?

The bays are quite pricy to be honest, but I can't find anything cheaper. I guess I could get away with just 2 bays at the moment and later on get the 3rd one when needed, hence $373 for now? What do you guys reckon?

just FYI the chassis I linked above can be had for around $200.. so its actually a fair bit cheaper IMO, but its up to you really how many drives you need to fit.

http://greenboxit.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=19594

would still need to be kitted out eg. psu and a few fans.

just FYI the chassis I linked above can be had for around $200.. so its actually a fair bit cheaper IMO, but its up to you really how many drives you need to fit.

http://greenboxit.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=19594

would still need to be kitted out eg. psu and a few fans.

thanks for that suggestion. looks pretty cool, but 8 bays don't seem enough D:

For the board, I'm hoping to get a board with 6-8 sata ports and 2 pci-e ports (probably m-atx or atx). Anyone knows which boards come with integrated intel or amd cpus?

For the board, I'm hoping to get a board with 6-8 sata ports and 2 pci-e ports (probably m-atx or atx). Anyone knows which boards come with integrated intel or amd cpus?

You keep on asking for stuff that is not available dude.

Integrated (CPU onboard) again is nearly always mini ITX. The only matx one I can find has 2 sata port only and is J&W brand, not a brand I would recommend, you need a standard mobo. Plus of course Mini-ItX tends to only have one PCI-E slot and top out at 4 SATA ports.

Again as you need a big case for all the drives just get an ATX mobo.

What you will probably need to go for is something like a Intel i3-2120T LOW POWER Core i3 Processor, 2.6GHz, LGA1155, Dual Core, 4 Threads 3MB Cache, Integrated Graphics, Max TDP 35W CPU. This is the lowest TDP current CPU I can find apart from the CPU onboard ones.

Mobo wise the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-D3 and GA-Z68XP-UD3 both have 8 sata ports across 3 controllers.

You keep on asking for stuff that is not available dude.

Integrated (CPU onboard) again is nearly always mini ITX. The only matx one I can find has 2 sata port only and is J&W brand, not a brand I would recommend, you need a standard mobo. Plus of course Mini-ItX tends to only have one PCI-E slot and top out at 4 SATA ports.

Again as you need a big case for all the drives just get an ATX mobo.

What you will probably need to go for is something like a Intel i3-2120T LOW POWER Core i3 Processor, 2.6GHz, LGA1155, Dual Core, 4 Threads 3MB Cache, Integrated Graphics, Max TDP 35W CPU. This is the lowest TDP current CPU I can find apart from the CPU onboard ones.

Mobo wise the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-D3 and GA-Z68XP-UD3 both have 8 sata ports across 3 controllers.

Yes thanks for that. I sorta realised that a little while after I posted my last msg and did some further research. How much you reckon mobo, cpu and ram would cost brand new? How about second hand?

cheers

second hand... 2 weeks ago i got a w3570 + x58a-ud7 + 12gb ddr3-2000mhz for about $500 all up. also just saw a w3530 and same mobo with 3x4gb ddr3 sell for $350. Thats a fair bit more power than you're after but check the forums here and at ocau and you can get a good deal on this kind of gear.

brand new, just check your usual suppliers for prices :)

Edited by p0is0n

Can i just check... what the hell are you using this for?

If it's just to play with setting up raid array's you could get something a lot smaller to set up or something bigger (and cheaper) to setup up a virtual server with.

If you just want some redundant storage for pr0n... buy a NAS.

from the sound of it you're just trying to set up some sort of file server but you don't want to go the prebuild route, how about grabbing (as suggested before) one of the cheaper supermicro machines and putting FreeNAS or Debian on it with a couple of SATA drives?

With the issue you mentioned before about sound levels, most of the servers you would be looking at are complete screamers.

Edit: As with the tower taking too much room, why not lay it on it's side?

Edited by Xen

Yeah no answers have been giving to my questions. heh

Here is my server, maybe it will give you some ideas

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Its a Lian Li workstation case with 11 5.25" bays with 3 SNT 4 in 3 caddies

Inside is 2x mITX Sandy Bridge PC's with the following specs

Posted Image

HTPC

KINO QM670 (this board has dual HDMI out)

i7 2630QM (45w 2.0ghz quad core lappy cpu)

8gb ram

60gb Patriot Inferno SSD (Windows 7)

DTV card

Bluray drive

2x 1tb raid 0 (For recording DTV)

Running Windows7 for WMC

WMC for easy PVR funtions and integration on WHS virtual machine on the server)

SERVER

WADE 8011

Xeon 1260L (45w quad core 2.4ghz)

8gb ECC

60gb Patriot Inferno SSD (Solaris 11)

2x 1tb RAID 1 (For Virtual Machines)

8x 1tb in RAIDZ2 (Storage)

Solaris VM host and ZFS file server

*edit

Sorry about the first pics on thier side, Imageshack wont let me rotate them... :|

Edited by Betzie

Can i just check... what the hell are you using this for?

If it's just to play with setting up raid array's you could get something a lot smaller to set up or something bigger (and cheaper) to setup up a virtual server with.

If you just want some redundant storage for pr0n... buy a NAS.

from the sound of it you're just trying to set up some sort of file server but you don't want to go the prebuild route, how about grabbing (as suggested before) one of the cheaper supermicro machines and putting FreeNAS or Debian on it with a couple of SATA drives?

With the issue you mentioned before about sound levels, most of the servers you would be looking at are complete screamers.

Edit: As with the tower taking too much room, why not lay it on it's side?

Yes I'll flip the tower no problem and get the 5-in-3 bay converters on a cm centurion 590

I want to keep adding drives to my array. Currently have 5 drives in an n36l. Want to add 5more in the near future.

Betzie's server is similar to what I wanna get.

P0is0n the specs you suggested are too powerful and costly :p I think a c2d low power equivalent would be good. It's just gonna run Ubuntu raid5 file server and a few non-intensive services/apps

I like the n36l. I can't hear anything (I may be deaf generally but n36l noise level is acceptable)

Edited by ameel

Ok so you prolly want somthing like the following for the board and HBA's

ASUS P8B WS, it uses the C206 chipset which allows use of the on CPU graphics and ECC ram on i3 cpu's

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8B_WS/

You could also check out the Supermicro boards

i3 2100T as was suggested earlier, best option by far as it allows ECC ram and is very low power

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/44698-bx80623i32120t

1 or 2 IBM M1015 SAS Cards, these support up to 3tb drives and sata 6gb/s speeds, you need to flash them to IT mode (google it, pretty easy)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IBM-ServeRAID-M...=item27c65ac13e

Keep an eye out, they can be had for around $100 including the SFF-8087 to sata cables

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-SAS-4i-SFF...=item2ebc28cfce

Thanks Betzie. Looks like a good build with that, but buying new could be a tad pricy. (mobo $288, cpu $148, ram?)

Someone from OCAU is offering direct swap my N36L for his asrock 970 extreme4 5 sata3 ports 8gb ram fx4100 quad cpu + hyper 212+ cooler, can also throw in a pci-x adaptec 2610sa raid controller with 6 ports that works in pci slot.

I think that's a pretty good deal, since it means i'll only need to spend on case/psu/bay converters. What do you guys think? I'm a bit concerned about noise though (From fans) and would be keen on replacing to quiet/silent ones if possible.

let me know asap guys, so i can negotiate/accept the deal.

cheers

Edited by ameel

Sounds like you have it worked out.

From my own experience I went through a heap of variations before I got to where I am now hardware wise, many lessons learned along the way. The biggest was examining hardware and HCL's

Let us know how you get on.

Sounds like you have it worked out.

From my own experience I went through a heap of variations before I got to where I am now hardware wise, many lessons learned along the way. The biggest was examining hardware and HCL's

Let us know how you get on.

what's HCL? the raid card his throwing in is 1.5Gbs only, i'm thinking of just getting a pci-e card instead (or using the HP P400)

HCL = Hardware compatibility list

Use/try whatever card you want, getting it all to play nice might be more challenging or easier than you think is all I'm saying

Home after doing an office move (didnt get home till 2am last night and back out to work at 8am this morning)

Here is my NAS

Posted Image

Case : Lian Li PC-V354B

E3-1230

Intel S1200BTS mATX Server board

32GB ECC

Intel CT nic

IBM M1015 – flash with P10 firmware for 3tb drive support ( 100 on ebay).

80GB Intel X25-M G2 << Exsi installed to the SSD and storage for VMK's

2x250gb Drives for VMK's and ISO's

Passthrough of 7 3TB drives to Solaris

Edited by mudg3

Home after doing an office move (didnt get home till 2am last night and back out to work at 8am this morning)

poor mudg3 D:

Nice NAS. I'll build something similar hopefully.

What do you need all the ram for?

Specs is interesting, particularly the server mobo, but its too pricy for me to get. I'd rather budget for case & bay converter & silent fans

Is the IBM M1015 good? I would like to get something similarly priced :D Could anyone recommend/link me to anything?

cheers

Edited by ameel

Whoops edit there. Its 32gb now. I do a lot of VM work and lab stuff. So this build's 2nd purpose is to be my nas and random customer white box parts are shit. Once you've worked with enterprise grade gear you start to understand why things are worth what they are and its why I'm prepared to pay extra for quality now

The IBM m1015 is a good card it will do 3tb drives but as said above you will need to flash it to IT mode which takes around 5 mins.

You sure you need 10-20 drive slots mate? My little baby is up to 21tb now I don't think I'd be able to do 4ru rack mounted unless it was a thecus system which is a little dream.

to be honest I think your wasting your time with that higher power stuff that was offered above. If I was you (once you get settled on your case) is go for something similar to the microserver specs wise but you'll find yourself spending more then what you paid for the n36l on just a board ram and PSU...

Whoops edit there. Its 32gb now. I do a lot of VM work and lab stuff. So this build's 2nd purpose is to be my nas and random customer white box parts are shit. Once you've worked with enterprise grade gear you start to understand why things are worth what they are and its why I'm prepared to pay extra for quality now

The IBM m1015 is a good card it will do 3tb drives but as said above you will need to flash it to IT mode which takes around 5 mins.

You sure you need 10-20 drive slots mate? My little baby is up to 21tb now I don't think I'd be able to do 4ru rack mounted unless it was a thecus system which is a little dream.

to be honest I think your wasting your time with that higher power stuff that was offered above. If I was you (once you get settled on your case) is go for something similar to the microserver specs wise but you'll find yourself spending more then what you paid for the n36l on just a board ram and PSU...

yah, i dont need high power, but the problem is everything else that have been suggested cost so expensive brand new! with the "higher power" offer i got, it's costing me about $160 (price i consider i could sell my n36l for) including mobo, ram, cpu, silent HSF. then its just a matter of PSU/case/bay converter. im very happy to consider lower power products, but what can you suggest that would be around 160 including cpu/mobo/ram (and hoping that stock hsf is silent)?

cheers