Sign in to follow this  
ameel

WTB (Want to build) Storage/NAS Server

For want of response,

I've decided to go with:

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_info....ducts_id=124519 x1 (will get in 2-3 days)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18507 x2 (pre-order for the 22nd this month)

So in the end, it's 12 drives. I'll suck it up for now i guess...

Any ideas on very quiet/silent fans that have NO LIGHTS (or lights can be switched off)?

cheers

For want of response,

I've decided to go with:

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_info....ducts_id=124519 x1 (will get in 2-3 days)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18507 x2 (pre-order for the 22nd this month)

Any ideas on very quiet/silent fans that have NO LIGHTS (or lights can be switched off)?

cheers

Wait...wot??

So you have gone for 1x hotswap and 2x drive cages?

This build gets weirder and weirder....

Dont buy any fans until you have the cages in your hands, you need to examine the connection onto the backplane of the hotswap caddy. (I made this mistake with my SNT 4 in 3 caddies as they were 15mm fans and I bought 20mm fans)

The Wingsonic M501 4 in 3 hotswap bay uses

"Two 2x3cm rear cooling fan with 4200 rpm ball bearing fan at 26dB"

This will be a pita to change and I will bet my left nut that they arn't 26dB at 4200rpm

Edited by Betzie

For want of response,

I've decided to go with:

cheers

Wait...wot??

So you have gone for 1x hotswap and 2x drive cages?

This build gets weirder and weirder....

Dont buy any fans until you have the cages in your hands, you need to examine the connection onto the backplane of the hotswap caddy. (I made this mistake with my SNT 4 in 3 caddies as they were 15mm fans and I bought 20mm fans)

The Wingsonic M501 4 in 3 hotswap bay uses

"Two 2x3cm rear cooling fan with 4200 rpm ball bearing fan at 26dB"

This will be a pita to change and I will bet my left nut that they arn't 26dB at 4200rpm

TBH the M501 sounds a bit dodgy. There's a few au websites selling that. Only one got a semi-accurate description. The rest were literally saying that the item is a 4x3.5" fits into 2x5.25". My eyes always popped out of my head.How was that even doable? anyway... next thing of concern is "two 2x3cm" fan? What does that even mean? is it some kind of geek thing where we have to calculate 2x3=6, then read the description as two 6cm? or is it even sneakier and in fact 2x2 3 cm, i.e. four 3 cm fan? this is making less and less sense.

but you're right. i'll wait for the items before getting fans.

Build got so weird because I couldn't find any cheap 5-in-3 bays (all are hot swaps). I wouldn't mind a non-hot swap 5-in-3 cage, but that seems inexistant! If anyone can find, let me know ASAP please!!

I would have gone with 3x Xigmatek 4-in-3 cage, however I'll have to preorder and wait til 22 May. I'll need to start running 5 disks end of this week on the build. The hot swap M501 can hold out for now then i get the MUCH CHEAPER (non hot swap) Xigmatek later on (though technically i'll have 9 drives by Friday and may just stack drives on top of each other for now).

will post pics & updates as items come in.

The way I read it is the M501 will use 2 fans 20mm thick and 30mm in diameter, these will almost cirtainly have a tiny 2 pin connection to the cage backplane and will be next to impossible to change/upgrade to a quiet fan (no one will make one in that size apart from server stuff which will be like a harrier jet taking off)

Dude..

Plenty of good suggestions for your build items but you are clearly building on price and trying to beat google and helpfull forum folk into submission to find top quality gear at YOUR price point..

It just doesnt work that way...

mudg3 and I pointed out almost the same basic componantry based on the highly developed servers we both have carefully built using a heap of research and you have pretty much disregarded that advise.

I dont even... I mean, good luck when you start to configure MDADM with a 4port Sil PCI sata and a HP P400 HBA.

Don't mean to rain on your parade and I hope it goes well but I cant see it being anything but trouble for you, trust me.. I've been there...

I would seriously save your pennies and start from scratch it will be less money and agro in the long run

The way I read it is the M501 will use 2 fans 20mm thick and 30mm in diameter, these will almost cirtainly have a tiny 2 pin connection to the cage backplane and will be next to impossible to change/upgrade to a quiet fan (no one will make one in that size apart from server stuff which will be like a harrier jet taking off)

Dude..

Plenty of good suggestions for your build items but you are clearly building on price and trying to beat google and helpfull forum folk into submission to find top quality gear at YOUR price point..

It just doesnt work that way...

mudg3 and I pointed out almost the same basic componantry based on the highly developed servers we both have carefully built using a heap of research and you have pretty much disregarded that advise.

I dont even... I mean, good luck when you start to configure MDADM with a 4port Sil PCI sata and a HP P400 HBA.

Don't mean to rain on your parade and I hope it goes well but I cant see it being anything but trouble for you, trust me.. I've been there...

I would seriously save your pennies and start from scratch it will be less money and agro in the long run

not using the P400. Using the Highpoint RAID 2300 and onboard ports.

But I COMPLETELY agree that it would have been better to save up and spend on something better. However, as I've repeated multiple times, I can't afford better at the moment. Maybe in 6 months time I'll restart from scratch.

Thing is i don't need something professional (even though i know you may want to jump at this instant to tell me how it's better overall/etc), but want to minimize cost (hence even discarding the 5-in-3 hotswap thingies).

I've used mdadm before, and that's how i've managed my raid 5 to date (after some trouble to initial understand how it works and use it) for about 8-10 months now? So, that's not an issue at all.

In terms of performance, server will be linked to network through router, i.e. gigabit connection. It's mostly for storage, and speed/performance isn't an issue for me at all. The reason I want to completely avoid hardware raid is that in case of hardware failure, things may get complicated with raid cards. But if mobo fries, at least I know i can just replace and rebuild the software raid with no trouble.

In the end im an amateur user with limited money and don't want to get into complications of proper raid hardware if that makes any sense? I just need jbod a few hdds and raid5 them with mdadm :)

My only concern was to get as many drives in a case (not rack) as possible, and sadly my budget seems to prescribe 12 at the moment. Hopefully that should be good enough for the next 6-10 months. after that if ive saved up enough, i can rethink :D

AFTER SAYING THAT, I FOUND BEST SOLUTION EVER:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/5%252din%25...-Enclosure.html

ORDERING NOW XD

Edited by ameel

All good mate, Ubuntu is pretty forgiving on hardware so you will prolly be ok.

Build comes across a bit mismatched is all, good luck, I'll be watching for updates

*edit

That cheap 5in3 looks pretty good for your needs, good find!

Edited by Betzie

Build comes across a bit mismatched is all, good luck, I'll be watching for updates

Thanks mate. I got a big issue now. From http://www.moddiy.com/products/5%252din%25...-Enclosure.html it's costing me $75 and roughly $75 for postage. However, If i spend $200, I get free shipping.

Is there anything worth getting from the website that's worth $125 (fans and other stuff?) or should i just pay for the shipping?

cheers

Thanks mate. I got a big issue now. From http://www.moddiy.com/products/5%252din%25...-Enclosure.html it's costing me $75 and roughly $75 for postage. However, If i spend $200, I get free shipping.

Is there anything worth getting from the website that's worth $125 (fans and other stuff?) or should i just pay for the shipping?

cheers

Maybe get your 120mm fans, sata cables, cable management cable ties etc, cpu paste, sata power cables (for slicing to your PSU if needed, most PSU's wont have enough sata power for your needs), maybe a fan controller

If you need that stuff

cheers

Maybe get your 120mm fans, sata cables, cable management cable ties etc, cpu paste, sata power cables (for slicing to your PSU if needed, most PSU's wont have enough sata power for your needs), maybe a fan controller

If you need that stuff

thanks for the suggestions. would this cable do: http://www.moddiy.com/products/Premium-Sin...7%7DRed%29.html

cheers

Edited by ameel

looks like what you want for each cage, dude this isn't IRC

lol

Does atomicmpc has its irc channel?

Here's my cart at the moment

5-in-3 Device Module Hard Disk Cage SAS/SATA Expander Enclosure x3

A$22.44 A$67.31

SIJIAWU Professional Antistatic Precision Tweezers (DY-030303)

A$4.54 A$4.54

4-Pin IDE Power Connector to 4 x 3-Pin Fan Connectors (5V, 7V, 12V) x 2

A$1.68 A$3.36

Scythe S-FLEX 120mm S-FDB Ultra Quiet Fans 8.7dBA (SFF21D) x 4

A$10.66 A$42.64

SATA II High Speed Cable with Latch (50cm) Straight to Straight x 14

A$1.78 A$24.80

Premium Single Braid Sleeved 5-in-1 SATA Extension Cable (Black/Red) x 4

A$11.22 A$44.87

5 Colors 100mm Tie Wraps (100 Pack)

A$2.06 A$2.06

KSS 150mm Black Tie Wraps (100 Pack)

A$6.73 A$6.73

(FREE GIFT) ESD Safe Anti-Static Brush (Small)

A$0.01 A$0.01

(FREE GIFT) KSS Nylon Cable Tie 80mm (100 Pack) RoHS x2

A$0.01 A$0.01

Total A$196.57 with free shipping.

$10 off using WEBCOU10

(Stupid paypal charges me for AUD to US conversion more though ~_~)

Edited by ameel

Yay, $10 off using WEBCOU10.

So, I get free shipping, but I'm hoping to upgrade to EMS Speed Post (paying the difference between the Registered and EMS postage ~$15?). They will get back to me on the extra shipping charges in a couple of hours. Their services sound promising!!

Edited by ameel

Woo!!!

Let's bring back the atomic IRC channel!!!

Woo!!!

Let's bring back the atomic IRC channel!!!

i'd spend all day there instead of here :P

All parts above ordered. should be despatched by Friday and received within 4 days (hopefully).

Yay!

Still waiting on case and package from moddiy(5-in-1 cages) bu here's the build with 7 hdds in raid 5 and an hdd for os

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5015/20120512124937.jpg

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5671/20120512124928.jpg

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7204/20120512124903.jpg

(i changed from image to url since the pictures insanely big. any idea how to display smaller sized pictures other than resizing the actual picture and re-uploading?)

edit:

I got a Pentium G620 in the end. The setup is near-silent atm. Im hoping the fans i got are as quiet too. mdadm is re-working the raid 5 in the background (increasing size because of two new drives). will have to copy stuff after than and add 2 more drives xD

Edited by ameel

Growing my 9 drive raid 6 at th moment ;) parts are in Australia but need to go through customs. Will hopefully get them before weekend. Will post pics when I do :D

Got all the items, and it's finally setup! I'll post pics tonight :D

Took me a freaking long time to:

1. Swap PSUs across 3 computers

2. Setup the fans onto the cages (the antivibration screws are freaking crazy to use)

3. Cable Management (omfg. that literally took forever. but results are fairly decent i think)

So here it is, fully running! Hardly audible!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ameel

Looks alright. What are you running? Why did you get a decent HBA are those just cheapy pci-e sata cards?

Looks alright. What are you running? Why did you get a decent HBA are those just cheapy pci-e sata cards?

What's HBA?

The card is a Highpoint RAID 2300 running JBOD. The other card is an ethernet card (broadcom netxtreme gigabit)

I have ubuntu 10.04 running raid 6 on 9x2TB (+os drive). Looking to get another controller/raid card and a couple more HDDs. Need to gradually fill up the bottom cage :D

Edited by ameel