I was going to post in this thread

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=49133

But thought I may as well create a generic mouse thread in case other people would like to share their experiences.

So far, over the past few years, I've tried:

- Logitech MX510

- Razer Copperhead

- Logitech G5

- Razer Lachesis

- Razer Mamba

- Logitech G9x

- Cyborg RAT 7

And today, I impulsively picked up a Razer Deathadder 3.5G (along with a Blackwidow keyboard). I had actually forgotten I wanted to try the Corsair mice, and was reminded when I went to post in my previous thread....dammit :P Oh well, next time....

So, since the last thread, I have sold my RAT 7. It really wasn't comfortable for me at all. Shame, I mostly liked the feel of all the buttons, with the exception of the left click. I dunno how to describe it other than it felt a little....vague. I think it may have been a little light where resting my finger on it was enough pressure to click it sometimes. Anyway, who cares, I went back to using the Logitech G9x for a while.

I really am disappointed the G9x middle click is so hard compared to the rest of the buttons. It was a constant strain for me. Especially while gaming, as I use it as my prone/crouch button in BF3.....and I play a lot of BF3....and do a lot of crouching. I really liked the shape and fit as odd as it looks to begin with.

But anyway, I have a Deathadder 3.5G now. It instantly feel like every other Razer mouse....same black rubbery material on top, shiny smooth black plastic on the sides, same scroll wheel, same feeling side buttons....It's really just the shape that's different. I don't mind it. It's not perfect. But it seems quite fine so far.

I find most Razer mice to be very long. This is probably one of the shorter feeling ones (along with the mamba). The bump is more forward than the Lachesis. The Lachesis's palm bump ended up resting in the middle tending towards the bottom of my palm. The deathadder bump lies more where the joint between my fingers and palm is....which feels much more comfortable. My two forefingers fit perfectly. Perfect length to hit the mouse button 1,2 and 3. Their feel is great, but nothing new. It is nice to revisit the Razer middle click. I think it's perfectly weighted. Not too hard as to cause a problem, not to soft as to accidentally click it, and nice notches when you scroll.....none of this freewheeling bullshit.

In terms of feel, I have only 1 gripe so far. The two thumb buttons. I can only press Back. To reach Forward, I have to hold the mouse at an angle....Almost as if I was holding the mouse at a 30deg angle for some reason :P

I do have one major complaint about this mouse, the software. I'v had problems with razer software before. This time, I found that I couldn't have the Razer profile software running as it would cause the mouse to freeze every 5 seconds or so. Uninstalling it fixed it, but I was disappointed. Moreso when I tried searching for a solution only to find a lot of people having the same problem, but being told that "they" are doing soemthing wrong, and they need to reinstall the software, or as one guy suggested, just dont use the software :P

I ended up reinstalling the software and it worked fine after the 2nd time. Strange. And I was using the latest downloads off the website. I uninstalled all previous mouse software beforehand as well. As it stands, I only use the software to configure my profiles, then I pretty much stop the app from starting ever again. Speaking of profiles....I really wish this mouse had some way of telling which profiel you were on. As far as I can tell, there's a button underneath that you can press, but there is no visual confirmation that you've changed profiles. The button doesn't even have a label. I'm really not 100% sure what it does. I should read the manual later....

So yeah, the mouse is alright. It is showing its age now in terms of what features new mice are coming out with, and how configurable their software is. The deathadder only lets me choose one of 4 DPI settings. What??? you mean I can't have 1790dpi? for shame ;) It does have the 3.5G IR sensor. As far as I'm concerned they've all tracked fine. Razer in general is the only one I have had problems with....how funny is this, a razer mouse wouldn't track straight using a razer mousepad?! And it's not a cheap mousepad....it's some alumium thing with 2 sides with different surfaces :P Most of my mice (since the copperhead) have had trouble tracking on the smooth side, excep the Lachesis, which had problems with the rougher side go figure. But the Deathadder seems to work fine on either side.

I've only had it for about 10hrs so far....but my hand isn't really complaining so thats a good sign. Will see how it goes over the next couple weeks and report back if anything stands out.

I'm currently using a Razer Mamba as home... which i rather hate.... It just doesn't feel right.

Probably the best mouse i've ever owned was the Logitech mx1000 which i'm still using at work and which is still going strong after 9 years (Hows that for battery life).

I wish there was the market for shops to have a setup that you could trial mouses (I will never call them mice damn it) in store.

IMO I've always liked Logitech stuff, be it Mouses, keyboards or speakers.

I have an original G9 and I agree on middle click... so I never use it.

Instead I bound one of the side buttons to middle mouse.

So I use one for middle mouse and the other as my Ventrilo talk button. :)

had a G9, loved it so much that the scroll wheel no longer works, replaced with G9x, use the 'click' part of it as knifey and the forward button as voice chat for everything.

I have issues with my scroll wheel too.

At times when I scroll it's 'jumpy' as though it's not registering here and there.

I pick it up and slam it on the desk and it fixes it, haha.

I pick it up and slam it on the desk and it fixes it, haha.

the oldest fix in the book!

I have a sidewinder x8 and I have say it's a pretty mixed bag. The left click feels pretty stiff for my liking and the agility of wavign around a rock is not all that it can be for me.

I wish my hand was bigger.

But on the other side I love the side buttons and the fact that it's wireless.

Wouldn't mind a new mouse like a Razer imperator. I remember when I tried clicking on the button. My fingers were having an orgasm on the left and right buttons.

Currently using a Steelseries Sensi. Phenomenal response times, great software, buttons are magic to use. The lower profile of it compared to my previous Logitechs G5's, G7's etc has taken a while to get used to, but this is offset to a degree by its phenomenal accuracy and tracking. But yeah its lower profile might not be so ergonomic for some.

Damm fine mouse though. On my Top 3 of all time (this list also contains the basic microsft optical intellimouse which has a profile quite similar to the Sensi)

Edited by GhostFaceKilla

I had a g9x and yep same problem the scroll wheel stopped working would just spin no positive click in its defence was a good mouse and it got a fair hammering

Got a corsair m60 to replace it my only gripe with it is it feels a bit to long in my hand and the sniper button is set a bit to far forward for my thumb to use or it just feels weird other wise I realy like it love the whole aluminim body thing and the adjustable weights

i find other mice to be a little light to use tbh, feels like its just gonna suicide drop off my desk :S

Every time we talk about this I always say the same thing. MX518.

Given that you've already owned the MX510 and didn't mention it, it's probably not for you, but for small or large hands on a budget, for wired gaming, the MX518 is hard to beat.

Buy one, (~$30), wear it out over a year or two, and buy another. Rinse and repeat.

In fact, I still use a MX518 at work as it fit the allowed budget, and is super comfortable for extended usage.

At home I now use the MX5500 Revolution mouse. It's not really any better for gaming, (it's bluetooth), I just wanted to go wireless, and the MX5500 is a comfy mouse for me. Besides, I'm now getting too old to play CS; not too old because I don't enjoy it, too old because I know I should be able to twitch faster than I now do :(

Perhaps it comes down to fanboism a little bit, but I've not found a MS Sidewinder mouse that I like more than an MX518.

Edited by Periander

This, it's pretty much the best wired mouse I have ever had, and its cheap too.

Given that you've already owned the MX510 and didn't mention it, it's probably not for you, but for small or large hands on a budget, for wired gaming, the MX518 is hard to beat.

Buy one, (~$30), wear it out over a year or two, and buy another. Rinse and repeat.

In fact, I still use a MX518 at work as it fit the allowed budget, and is super comfortable for extended usage.

At home I now use the MX5500 Revolution mouse. It's not really any better for gaming, (it's bluetooth), I just wanted to go wireless, and the MX5500 is a comfy mouse for me. Besides, I'm now getting too old to play CS; not too old because I don't enjoy it, too old because I know I should be able to twitch faster than I now do :(

Perhaps it comes down to fanboism a little bit, but I've not found a MS Sidewinder mouse that I like more than an MX518.

I just found it lacking when compared to other mice that were coming out....in what way, I can't remember cos it was so long ago. Yes, I did used to love it. I played a lot of BF2 with mine. I prefered the Copperhead that I got next though.

But, I got the G5 based on my experience with the MX510. I loved the feel of the covering (that blue webbed stuff). In the end, I didn't find it a great leap forward and must have not liked it anymore for games cos I gave it to my mum almost straight away and then got the Lachesis.

That MX510/G5 form factor was comfortable to use in general, but I found it to big for gaming. I have pretty small hands, and I like to claw my mice rather than palm them. I also like to be able to pick the mouse up easily when I need to keep turning in games.

I've got a G5 that's been going for around 5 years, I was thinking of upgrading but I really don't need to. This mouse hasn't skipped a beat ever. The only complaints I've got are that the middle and side clicks on the scroll wheel are not very good, and the mouse was packaged in a way that it made a massive kink in the chord near where it enters the mouse, and I had to cut the braid to free it.

I've got and love a G5 series 2 and a MX518 which is not as good but for $30 is not bad value. Have never enjoyed a single Razer mouse and I've tried most of them, in fact I've tried most Razer products and the only ones I love are Goliathus Speed edition pads (I've got 3). Really want to try the Corsair Meece out but being in Tassie I think I'll have to purchase because I doubt I'll find one anywhere to test.

I tried a few Razer mice a few years ago and immediately rejected them on the grounds of their low profile. Could not see myself using them for any extended period of time. I'd always use Logitech (insert model number) and I think I had a Sidewinder at some stage.

I have however, been using a Razer Imperator for the last 18 months with no gripes at all. It's quite a nice mouse. It has a higher profile (the only reason why the Sensei hasn't made it to my desk) than the other Razers I'd tried. I made sure of this before buying. There's no reason why stores shouldn't allow you to test the fit. I'll stick with it until death or disaster, but I've grown out of my mouse hurling traits...too expensive and not very nice at all.

I've used the Logi G5 for years now, and still love it over everything else I've tried. It is the most comfortable and responsive mouse I've played with. The rough blue snakeskin effect on top gives it a nice grip and the size and weight fit my hand perfectly...I don't get any fatigue or pain from holding my hand in any particular shape, as my hand can relax comfortably over it and still remain in the right position for using it.

It has a lifetime warranty, so it would be interesting to see how long that romance lasts...I've sent one back already for repair of a faulty or deteriorating cable causing cursor to not move, and I was sent a brand new one. I wonder how long this will go on for. I don't see myself changing to a new brand or model anytime soon.

Razer diamondbcak here, 90 bucks at harvey norman 4-5 years ago, never had/felt anything better. i dont like the mice that you must use your whole hand to use, i like to rest my wrist ont he table and operate the mouse with my fingers.

Diamondback is a solid and "accurate" mouse, only gripe is that a few of the buttons on the sides are hard to get to maybe awkward is a better word.

Yeah meece and keyboards are so subjective it's very hard to compare or even recommend one based only on your own experience. I know heaps of people that love their Blackwidow and Naga combos but the click drives me mad and I just don't find the Naga comfortable. Yet some people absolutely loathe the G15 type 2 and G5 which is my current combo. I plan on trying the K60 or 90 and the M60 very soon though, the only thing holding me back is the known issue with Corsair keyboard lettering quality control.

Ok, so after kicking myself for not doing a little bit more research on mice before I bought my Deathadder, I decided to flog that off and get the Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition.....mainly because I'm a fanboy of the game.

My impressions so far:

- I find it definitely more comfortable than the Deathadder for me (I have fairly small hands)

- The adjustable thumb button position is great though I wish it would move back just a couple more mm.

- I can comfortably move from palming the mouse to claw grip

- It's easier to pick up and move in the heat of battle.

- It's quieter and smoother when moving around.

- The software allows better cutomisability for DPI (you can set it to whatever you want, rather than have to choose between set levels).

- The scroll wheel is marginally better.

- The left click feels like it needs a little more force and seems louder.

- I miss having the glowing Razer logo (it's been left out due to the BF3 graphic in it's place).

- Having the extra on-the-fly sensitivity buttons is much appreciated as I can remap these to something else.

I'm glad I made the change :)

Posted Image

I am using the Mamba 4G, it is beautiful, I use it wireless at work and wired at home, basically to avoid having to plug in and fiddle at work, although it does mean I occasionally have to use a little crappy mouse due to my forgetfulness about charging.

The Mamba 4G is one of few mice that actually fits under my hand comfortably.

I am using the Mamba 4G, it is beautiful, I use it wireless at work and wired at home, basically to avoid having to plug in and fiddle at work, although it does mean I occasionally have to use a little crappy mouse due to my forgetfulness about charging.

The Mamba 4G is one of few mice that actually fits under my hand comfortably.

I really wanted to love the Mamba. It was comfortable and a sexy piece of kit. I almost didn't want to take it out of the box ;)

The main reasons why I got rid of it though was that I wasn't using it's wireless functionality. I kept running out of juice if I forgot to put it on the charger every night, so it would stay plugged in via cable permanently.

Also, I found it was a bit heavy and sometimes a bit difficult to pick up in the heat of battle.

Otherwise, brilliant mouse if those things don't bother you.

I use a DeathAdder. I've found it to be the most comfortable mouse I've tried.

I used to LOVE my old Logitech G7, but it died and Logitech don't make it anymore. I tried out the G700 but found it way too heavy, so I sold it and got a DeathAdder instead.

I quite like my DA, nice and light, very very responsive. I got a promo one with a glossy top though, which is nice to look at but not quite as nice to use as their normal rubberised finish.

Considering trying out a Lachesis as it seems it might be more suited to my fingertip grip play style.

I use a DeathAdder. I've found it to be the most comfortable mouse I've tried.

I used to LOVE my old Logitech G7, but it died and Logitech don't make it anymore. I tried out the G700 but found it way too heavy, so I sold it and got a DeathAdder instead.

I quite like my DA, nice and light, very very responsive. I got a promo one with a glossy top though, which is nice to look at but not quite as nice to use as their normal rubberised finish.

Considering trying out a Lachesis as it seems it might be more suited to my fingertip grip play style.

The Lachesis is very long. I can't help but palm it when I'm using it, which isn't my preference. But seriously, if you like the DA, I think the Imperator would suit better than the Lachesis, though of course, try them out first :P

I wish there was some way to try them out! My local EBs have some mice out, but I don't think they have the Lachesis or Imperator out. I'd really want to get my hands on all 3, somehow test them in a game and make my choice that way.

I'll probably stick with the DA for the forseeable future unless I manage to try an Imperator and it wows the shit outta me.