Sign in to follow this  
clung3

What was your best year of gaming?

1986 - When I got my c64! Press play on tape. Awesome words back at that time. I miss the loading screens, made me want to wet my pants anytime I saw a new one :)

Probably 2004, stayed home all year and played nwn, hl2 and farcry on my crappy athlon 1.2 with geforce 4 mx 440.

Is a toss up between 1998 and 2004 for me.

I think 98 has it though. The year I swapped out my 2meg s3 graphics card, for a TNT. Seeing Q2 in hardware acceleration for the first time, then playing Unreal.

Completely mesmerised me. The only thing that has come close to that feeling, is playing HL2 for the first time.

Cheers.

So many good games listed here it has made me think about games I've really enjoyed. There were a lot of crap games I've played too, but these are the ones that got a second playthrough or were mind blowing when I first played them:

Computer:

-It all started with Doom 2 - never managed to actually beat the last level but played through so many times finding all the secrets and secret levels :)

-then probably Warcraft 2

-then Diablo and Diablo 2

-Half Life - I tried to play Half Life 2 recently (never bought it when it came out) but it all looked so grainy and started off so slow I gave it the flick - I just couldn't get into it.

-Unreal Tournament 2004 (i think) - this is an awesome LAN game - and is still good!

-Warcraft 3

-Battlefield 1942: Vietnam - used to play with a mate over LAN, it was awesome fun flying a chopper with the music pumping

-Morrowind - epic in every way

-Battlefield 2142 and now Battlefield 3

-Dawn of War and Dawn of War 2 - epic multiplayer battles and good fun campaign

-WOW i played on in BC days - only ever levelled to 45 i think before i gave up on the grind, I still rate it as a good game but it really asked for too much from me with little return.

-Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 (3 was good too but hasn't tempted me to pick it up again for another run through) - Mass Effect 1 was especially good.

Consoles:

SEGA mastersystem II (i think???):

-Batman Returns

Nintendo64:

-Mariocart

-007:Goldeneye

-Zelda: Ocarina of time

Playstation 2:

-Granturismo 4 (i think, maybe 3???)

Xbox 360:

-Halo: Reach

Damn it I know I'm forgetting a few games. Will have to think about it more but the above are well spread out and I couldn't pick a year or a single game I think.

Edit: Attempting to clean post up for readability.

Edit2: forgot Morrowind...

Edited by martyr

martyr you fool!

Don't miss HL2 just because the graphics are average now, check out this mod: http://www.cinematicmod.com/

Totally worth it!

lol i know

/hangs head in shame

I wanted to like it, but I fear the time has passed for now - with D3 on the way (which I expect will make it into my above list) I will not be playing other games for a little while I feel.

/doubly hangs head in shame for forgetting Morrowind ;P

Dude! you have 4 days to get it and finish it. You can finish HL2 in an afternoon!

ha ha, and paint a couple of rooms...

It could be done, will see how i go but i'm usually very completionist in a game. so one that could take 10 hours to run through might take me 1.5 to 2 times as long to finish :P

Can't really pick a year but for an ERA id say late 90s around 1995-99, with advancements in 3D graphics, sound cards, LAN and online gaming 56k modems. Around the time of Voodoo's? The ERA defined alot of genre's with mouse look, jumping, free roaming 3D environments.

Mechwarrior 2,Interstate '76, Unreal, Quake, total anialation, Dark Reign, GTAI&II.

If I had to pick a year it would have to be 2001-02 when Ghost Recon and Battle Field 1942 came out.

martyr you fool!

Don't miss HL2 just because the graphics are average now, check out this mod: http://www.cinematicmod.com/

Totally worth it!

lol i know

/hangs head in shame

I wanted to like it, but I fear the time has passed for now - with D3 on the way (which I expect will make it into my above list) I will not be playing other games for a little while I feel.

Seriously you need to play HL2.

Dude! you have 4 days to get it and finish it. You can finish HL2 in an afternoon!

Well you can but realistically give yourself 10 - 16 hours for the main game (depending on difficulty level) and 3 - 6 hours for each episode.

I still fire up and replay it probably once a year. Cinematic mod next time :)

Edited by ReapermanRS

I will add it to my list of games to do :) Should get to it later this year - if D3 lives up to my expectations :P

martyr you fool!

Totally worth it!

lol i know

/hangs head in shame

Well you can but realistically give yourself 10 - 16 hours for the main game (depending on difficulty level) and 3 - 6 hours for each episode.

10 to 16 hours? Took about 6-8 hours for my first playthrough, its not that long a game. And the episodes are a few hours max.

Man, I didn't even make it a quarter way through HL1, but HL2 I could bare. It wasn't very boring at all really.

I can't understand why people love them so much though.

Hard to go past 1998 -

Zelda Ocarina of Time

Half-Life

Unreal

Baldur's Gate

Metal Gear Solid

Suikoden 2

Fallout 2

Starcraft

Resident Evil 2

Some all-time greats there.

I think 1999, 'twas the year that gave us Rogue Spear, Unreal Tournament, Worms Armageddon, GTA2, System Shock 2, Half Life: Opposing Force and Need for Speed: High Stakes. I'd also vote for 2000, being the year that gave us Deus Ex, Thief II, No One Lives Forever and Shenmue (although I think technically Shenmue was released very late in 1999).

martyr you fool!

Totally worth it!

lol i know

/hangs head in shame

10 to 16 hours? Took about 6-8 hours for my first playthrough, its not that long a game. And the episodes are a few hours max.

I'm a completionist, I look everywhere and it took me about 20 hours first time through so I halved it for people who aren't obsessive compulsive. Sure you can speed run it faster but until you've played the story and seen everything whats the point?