nog

Modem to replace $29 TP-LINK

Hey all,

I recently replaced my Billion modem router as it was having some issues, but I am having some new line syncing issues which I think is due to the cheap modem I purchased, so I am looking to replace it with something a little better. Price is not an issue, but I do already have a router, but I would get rid of this if it was for the best.

I currently have this-

TP-Link TL-WR2543ND 450Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router - https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18966 with https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=17074 - https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=17074

The modem is bridged with the router which connects in to the network.

Lately while gaming I've been having woeful lag spikes, and quite often the modem will just lose sync for no apparent reason (perhaps every 12 - 16 hours). I have double checked all of my settings but cannot find any obvious reason why it would do that so I am putting it down to the fact that it is a $29 modem..

While gaming isn't that important, it's nice not to have to worry about being dc'd in a game of l4d or something like that but more importantly, I deliver a lot of work to mainland clients via my web hosting. Some of these files can be 4gb+ so having the net lose sync half way through this upload is pretty inconvenient.

This is where the Annex M part comes in to it, I don't really know if I would see any upload increase from switching my profile to Annex M, even with a capable modem, but it's something to consider. I am assuming most modems are Annex M capable now anyway, so it's more important that I find a modem that will be beastly and not give me any grief.

I am currently with Internode on this plan;

Current Plan EASY-Broadband-S (With Power Pack)

Price $69.95 per month

Monthly Quota 150 GB

Speed Extreme ADSL2+ speeds

Plus I pay (I think) $10 a month extra for the power pack or whatever it's called now which provides a static IP, unlimited uploads, etc.

I run a business from home, but I don't use VOIP as I live on my mobile, so that's not a concern either.

I have looked at the modems here- https://secure.internode.on.net/webtools/store but wanted to get the opinions of Atomicans first.

Thanks,

John

I recently got a Fritz Box. I used this to replace a CISCO ASA Router, DG834 Router and Wireless access point with a single device.

I've been very impressed, costs a little more than other devices but is very feature rich, handles ADSL, Routing, WLan, VOIP, PABX, GBit Switch all in one unit as well as supplying regular firmware updates that add new features in addition to fixing any bugs.

If the TD-8817 is having sync issues then it is most likely your actual line that is the problem.

How about starting off with the Internode checklist

http://blog.internode.on.net/2009/11/29/op...ce-performance/

especially the isolation test.

Also have you tried talking to 'node support?

The TD-8817 uses the Broadcom chipset so should be one of the more stable modems out there and unless it is faulty should hold sync through almost anything.

Can you post the modem sync stats? Attenuation and SNR.

May have to put it back in ADSL mode and set up the Internode connection details to get this.

With the Easy broadband S I think that is on Agile hardware? If so then you can also log in to "My Internode" and change your line speed profile.

Thanks guys.

I've just spoken to a mate just up the road who is also on Internode who said he's been having similar drop outs, so perhaps it's just completely coincidental that it happened

after I changed my hardware around, and perhaps it's another issue here.

I haven't done much in terms of Internode support, isolation tests, etc. as I assumed it was just the new modem being troublesome, but having you reassure me that the modem is an okay modem, I will start looking in to these other things.

Thanks,

John

Thanks guys.

I've just spoken to a mate just up the road who is also on Internode who said he's been having similar drop outs, so perhaps it's just completely coincidental that it happened

after I changed my hardware around, and perhaps it's another issue here.

I haven't done much in terms of Internode support, isolation tests, etc. as I assumed it was just the new modem being troublesome, but having you reassure me that the modem is an okay modem, I will start looking in to these other things.

Thanks,

John

Still could be faulty as every brand has bad batches or bad individual items. However do all the tests you can before replacing it.

Like I said do the tests listed on the Internode blog I linked to and post up the SNR and attenuation numbers from the modem interface.

Should look something like

Upstream 832

Downstream 3424

SNR Margin(Upstream) 8.0

SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.1

Line Attenuation(Upstream) 31.0

Line Attenuation(Downstream) 59.0