SoaS -> Chippies

PointZeroOne -> PointZeroOne

AMD AKIMBO -> Hairy

Lord_Huggington -> Hug

unco_tomato -> Unco_Tomato

Sherman -> Sherman

moofactory -> moofactory

==============================================================

So, I'm not sure if any of you dudes have heard of this... but it is growing in popularity fast.

For the uninformed, it's a zombie survival mod for ARMA II, as the thread title implies.

It's not your average zombie game, either. You're not running around blasting the place up like a madman.

This is survival... or in the case of most players: attempted survival.

You begin the game by spawning on the a random position along the coast of Chernarus, ARMA II's main island, which spans 225 square kilometers.

You start off with a Makarov pistol, a handful of clips, some food, a water bottle, flares, and not much else.

No map, no compass, no nothing.

All weapons, ammunition, items, food, drinks and so on must be found on your journey.

Players are considered 'survivors'.

If a player kills another player in cold blood, their humanity goes down, and if it goes down too far... they become a 'bandit', and are reskinned to look like a terrorist.

Most players will shoot bandits on site.

It's a game where who you trust can determine life or death.

If you die, you die.

Dead, gone, done, dusted.

You have to start again from scratch.

This mod has boosted ARMA II sales, and it has become the 4th top selling game on Steam this week!

Anyway, there's a lot more I could say, but I have to go to bed... I've been playing this game almost non-stop since about 10am.

I only stopped for food and to do a little housework and I was back into it.

Hopefully this peaks the interest of some players around here. It's definitely addictive.

For a more eloquent write up, take a look here:

http://games.on.net/article/15602/Survivin...ombie_Wasteland

Also this has lots of videos and some other interesting info:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/the-terro...t-zombie-craze/

And for a look at something that may just happen to you in game... ;)

Here's the DayZ website:

http://www.dayzmod.com/

And here's a video tutorial on how to 'install' said mod using the Steam version. Try to ignore the horrible accent.

Hope to rob you or kill you in cold blood soon. ;)

Edited by Ezkaton

Ive been sitting on the fence for the past few days over this.

I finally bit the bullet tonight and is downloading as I write this.

I was hesitant to pay $30 for something that could potentially drop when Arma 3 comes out

as everyone is expecting DayZ to be ported over to it.

But I figure this is only in alpha, its going to be at least 6 months before 3 is even out.. let alone a new port.

Hopefully they fix more of the bugs soon, particularly the perma ban of people accidentally looting hacker's dead bodies of injected weapons.

Thats scary enough right there without worrying about being killed. Hope they fix the hacker situation soon.

An interesting concept although it looks like your much better off as a group of like 10 or so.

Not really, too many people become too disorganised, you need to keep quiet and stay low so the zombies don't spot you, with 10 people, someone would get spotted, then what happens? 10 people open fire, problem? Zombies are attracted to gunfire in Day Z and the louder the gun shots or the more frequent, the more zombies that will be attracted.

I really need to film one of my stoned play throughs of Day Z, I don't last long, but I usually die in some seriously entertaining ways :P

Haha I wish we recorded my flare-carrying incident... ahahah, my god I was in tears and could hardly breathe from laughter!

As for rolling in packs, as tempting as it sounds... the points Nuke brought up is an issue and sharing loot becomes a problem.

From what I've played so far it seems like you're best to stick with a small group of 2-4 people and stay co-ordinated and careful.

I'm really enjoying night time more than day time too.

I feel safer knowing I can't be seen from miles away.

Plus it feels way more atmospheric.

Another note for potentially interested players:

If you disconnect from a server, and reconnect later, or on another server entirely... you come back with all your loot and in the same position you left off.

Kinda like an MMO, as Nuke pointed out to me yesterday.

Ah man, the flare incident still makes me laugh when I think about it, its by the far the stupidest thing you've ever done in a game, but at the same time, the most hilarious.

Oh and you forgot to mention that servers run real time day/night cycles, so if you play on an Aussie server at night, its night time in the game and day during the day etc.

This sounds awesome. I can't remember if I have ARMA II on the shelf or not, will have to suss it out tonight.

Oh, something else that wasn't mentioned.

For anyone who wants to play, you only need to own Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead, you can use that alongside Arma 2 free to play, to play the mod.

Alternatively, pay $30 for the pack on steam.

Arma 2 is now the number 1 sold game on steam this week haha.

Im keen to give it a go. Ill buy it tonight and give it an install.

Reminds me of stalker.

I've been looking at this but, what's stopping me would be griefers...

I mean, if I were to play this game drunk I'd be one....

You don't see people often enough for it to be a huge problem, in ARMA 2 its really easy to hide in plain site as well, so if you're careful and tactical, you should never get jumped.

With the patch update the other day.... the zombie count increase looks nuts.

Ive not even started playing yet and im scared.

Ive been watching youtube vids where guys getting chased by up to 50 of them!

and they don't stop!

Griefers? Serious? It's a survival game... trust nobody completely.

Be cautious always. People that 'grief' by player killing are reskinned as bandits anyway.

Last night, I was making my way through what I thought was a forest in the dark. I heard a scream, so i stood up and started to run, I heard zombie foot steps behind me and turned my head to see 3 following me. As I ran further, I heard more shrieks from my right in the distance, growing louder, another 10 or so zombies were coming at me from across the hill. As I ran, one hit me and I stumbled, falling to the ground, they closed in around me and I was dead within seconds.

Reminded me of this video from the 7 minute mark:

Cept it was dark in game.

The bad thing about tonight is, I want to play... but everybody will be on Diablo III. :(

Arma 2 is now the number 1 sold game on steam this week haha.

So that's why there is about 1 million DayZ servers....

Yeah the popularity has shot through the roof.

Currently there are three Aussie servers, last time I checked ranging from 40 to 70 players.

There's a NZ server with 25 slots, and Internode are trying to get a server up too.

The bad thing about tonight is, I want to play... but everybody will be on Diablo III. :(

I don't have Diablo III

and I'm itching to check my game shelf to see if I have arma II otherwise I'm gonna have to buy it off steam.

(I want to go home and play this!)

Operation Arrowhead is the only one you actually need to own, you don't need to own Private Military Company or Arma 2 (you can use Free) if you don't mind having the low res textures.

It sounds very fabulous like a Hunger Games with Zombies.

I'm just worried how that will conflict with the many other mods that I have installed in ARMA 2. I might have to do an reinstall.

My friend even said this nmod will be built in for ARMA III. Not sure about that....

I'm just worried how that will conflict with the many other mods that I have installed in ARMA 2. I might have to do an reinstall.

My friend even said this nmod will be built in for ARMA III. Not sure about that....

Apparantly the mod creator is one of the devs at Bohemia, so its possible that the zombie mod will make its way into ARMA 3 as a permanant game mode, and why not? Theres proof right on steam sales charts that the addition of a cool realistic zombie survival mod to Arma 2 has made it sell thousands more copies, its possible theyve sold more copies in the last week than they did in the first few years.

Last night, I was making my way through what I thought was a forest in the dark. I heard a scream, so i stood up and started to run, I heard zombie foot steps behind me and turned my head to see 3 following me. As I ran further, I heard more shrieks from my right in the distance, growing louder, another 10 or so zombies were coming at me from across the hill. As I ran, one hit me and I stumbled, falling to the ground, they closed in around me and I was dead within seconds.

What I hate about that is given it's in this ARMA gameplay mechanic, wouldn't you be essentially screwed if you have a few zombies chasing as they will run the same speed as you and kill you in a few hits? With the zombie swing hits a little too stiff and conrete, timing your shots is tricky and that's just a little prominent dodginess found in all zombie mods and missions of ARMA.

Apparantly the mod creator is one of the devs at Bohemia, so its possible that the zombie mod will make its way into ARMA 3 as a permanant game mode, and why not? Theres proof right on steam sales charts that the addition of a cool realistic zombie survival mod to Arma 2 has made it sell thousands more copies, its possible theyve sold more copies in the last week than they did in the first few years.

Thank god for the sales.

ARMA II is still a very underappreciated game. Bugs are still fucked though.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Keep in mind you also need Operation Arrowhead. :)

Unless there is another expansion than Operation Arrowhead. I am 98% sure I have 2 ARMA or ARMA II boxes on myshelf, one the base game, the other an expansion. I just can't recall which ARMA it is I have.