Ezkaton

DayZ: An ARMA II zombie survival mod

Last night, I was making my way through what I thought was a forest in the dark. I heard a scream, so i stood up and started to run, I heard zombie foot steps behind me and turned my head to see 3 following me. As I ran further, I heard more shrieks from my right in the distance, growing louder, another 10 or so zombies were coming at me from across the hill. As I ran, one hit me and I stumbled, falling to the ground, they closed in around me and I was dead within seconds.

What I hate about that is given it's in this ARMA gameplay mechanic, wouldn't you be essentially screwed if you have a few zombies chasing as they will run the same speed as you and kill you in a few hits? With the zombie swing hits a little too stiff and conrete, timing your shots is tricky and that's just a little prominent dodginess found in all zombie mods and missions of ARMA.

Its not an issue, they run slower than you and can't hit you unless you're basically standing still, as they need to stop to attack.

seems pretty stupid they chase you indefinitely though especially at night like if you ran around a corner then ran into a building and hid they shouldn't be able to find you since I doubt a zombie IRL would have any sort of cognitive thinking to begin with

Edited by nesquick

Its in alpha, they're still working on the AI code, the AI is one of the biggest parts of the game, but yes, line of sight evasion once detected needs to be implemented, or it becomes a real pain.

gah I wish I still had the remote access setup on my home PC, then I could be downloading this mod already!

but only 7mins before I leave the office and then home by 530! Then to find out if I have the game already or not and install it.

and I'm actually rather excited about this mod, been watching some people playing it on youtube today and it looks like great fun.

Once you begin to learn it and figure out what works and what doesn't, how to find loot, etc. and find somebody you can trust, it becomes really fun.

Yeah I've got a mate who started playing today and he's loving it, so will most likely team up with him

It's just pitch black in between when the sun goes down and moon comes out (about 6pm - 11pm).

You can still see if you bump up the brightness and gamma though. :)

I just stopped playing (went for 4 hours or so straight).

Somehow I am still alive... I went through a whole bunch of stuff to get where I am.

I managed to lose all my equipment and backpack when trying to fill my water bottle (sometimes if you swim you lose all that stuff... pain in the ASS).

So goodbye food, flares, chemlights, AKM (though I had no ammo for it at the time from yesterday's zombie encounters), drink bottles and so on.

On my travels to obtain new equipment I found the bodies of three dead players, whom I found all the necessary supplies for survival (food, water bottles, medical supplies, flares, ammo).

So I'm wandering the forest as the sun goes down and get a little lost, with only a compass and a map I got off Google image search on my second monitor.

I think I was wandering slowly for about an hour.

I end up coming across a coastal down where I spotted two dead bodies lying in the street, but zombies were everywhere.

I managed to crawl in and search one, and tried to maneuver around zombies to get to the second body when I look down the road and see two players running toward me.

I crawled up against a fence and watched, as they turned past a house and onto the main road going through the town I see they have about 30 zombies chasing them.

Immediately I panic and HOPE TO GOD I don't get spotted by the zombies.

I kept low and watched (holding ALT to look around without moving my body) as they ran past me... zombies following in a craze.

Thankfully I wasn't spotted. It also seemed they cleared all the zombies out of town!

Thanks guys!

Once everything looked clear I moved in and looted the body on the road.

Yawn! Another starting player with only the basic essentials on his body.

I have no free inventory slots so I move on.

By this time it is now rather dark.

I start to move on down the road and see a man to my left just off the forest edge crouched on the train tracks.

I asked if he was friendly and we conversed and agreed we would roll together.

Then the idiot pulls out a FLARE and starts to walk around with it... lighting us both up like a Christmas tree! GAH!

Suddenly I hear gunshots, he drops the flare and runs to the side of the road and lies in the bushes and I drop to the ground prone trying to crawl for cover.

I get shot once.

Makarov shot, no big deal... so I stand up and run toward the beach and in the opposite direction of the shooter.

The guy I met up with stayed where he was but he was on the edge of the flare light so he could still be seen.

As I ran into the darkness I moved off the beach, across the road and up into the blackness of the forest using trees as cover as I turned around to watch.

I saw my new found friend die on the side of the road.

I slowly creep closer back toward the town in the forest blackness hiding behind trees trying to find the shooter.

Waiting, waiting, waiting... a few minutes pass and I see him slowly come out of the darkness into the flare light and loot the body before the flare dies.

I can only assume he thought I was long gone. Yet there I was waiting in the forest, watching from the safety of darkness.

I stayed there and kept an eye on him.

I was determined to kill him.

As I'm watching him, I spot another player crawling along the ground... skinned as a bandit.

The looter walks up to him and they share their winnings.

These two guys are working together!

I keep an eye on them, leaning out from behind a tree, moving as slow as I can left or right to keep a visual.

I watch them crawl along the edge of the forest cautiously until they got about 10m from me, and I slowly moved down behind them and they stopped.

I wondered if they heard the grass from my crouch-walking, hoping they mistook it for the noise coming from each other.

They begin moving again, I move in closer and they stop... I am close enough to make a move.

I line them up with my Makarov pistol, let off three shots into the bandit's upper body.

Point straight to his crouching friend and put the remainder of my clip into him before he figured out it was me firing, and his friend was dead.

Both players are dead. My heart is beating like a motherfucker and I'm feeling a little shaky (IRL).

The adrenaline is pumping!

I haven't felt like this while playing a video game since the original "Thief", back in '98!

The tension was insane... I didn't want my hours of gameplay ruined by two bastard bandit fuckers!

I managed to scavenge some good gear from them too.

CZ 500 sniper rifle and two 'sets' of ammo.

An M1911 pistol with four clips.

A map, watch, more food and medical supplies, a larger backpack, binoculars and more.

Score!

I made my way up the coast and found a safe spot to save and quit for the night.

I don't want to get killed in unknown lands by myself in the night with all my new found loot!

I can't wait to play tomorrow when it's light again. I love this mod!

It'll be awesome to see where this mod goes with future updates.

Speaking of, here's an interview from Internode with the creator, "Rocket" - a developer for Bohemia Interactive.

http://games.on.net/article/15603/I_didnt_...on_Day_Z_Part_1

For the lazy/OMG LOL TL;DR/A.D.H.D. people...

DayZ is awesome!

It's just pitch black in between when the sun goes down and moon comes out (about 6pm - 11pm).

Somehow I am still alive... I went through a whole bunch of stuff to get where I am.

I managed to lose all my equipment and backpack when trying to fill my water bottle (sometimes if you swim you lose all that stuff... pain in the ASS).

So goodbye food, flares, chemlights, AKM (though I had no ammo for it at the time from yesterday's zombie encounters), drink bottles and so on.

On my travels to obtain new equipment I found the bodies of three dead players, whom I found all the necessary supplies for survival (food, water bottles, medical supplies, flares, ammo).

So I'm wandering the forest as the sun goes down and get a little lost, with only a compass and a map I got off Google image search on my second monitor.

I end up coming across a coastal down where I spotted two dead bodies lying in the street, but zombies were everywhere.

I managed to crawl in and search one, and tried to maneuver around zombies to get to the second body when I look down the road and see two players running toward me.

I crawled up against a fence and watched, as they turned past a house and onto the main road going through the town I see they have about 30 zombies chasing them.

I kept low and watched (holding ALT to look around without moving my body) as they ran past me... zombies following in a craze.

Thankfully I wasn't spotted. It also seemed they cleared all the zombies out of town!

Thanks guys!

I start to move on down the road and see a man to my left just off the forest edge crouched on the train tracks.

Then the idiot pulls out a FLARE and starts to walk around with it... lighting us both up like a Christmas tree! GAH!

Suddenly I hear gunshots, he drops the flare and runs to the side of the road and lies in the bushes and I drop to the ground prone trying to crawl for cover.

I get shot once.

Makarov shot, no big deal... so I stand up and run toward the beach and in the opposite direction of the shooter.

The guy I met up with stayed where he was but he was on the edge of the flare light so he could still be seen.

As I ran into the darkness I moved off the beach, across the road and up into the blackness of the forest using trees as cover as I turned around to watch.

I slowly creep closer back toward the town in the forest blackness hiding behind trees trying to find the shooter.

Waiting, waiting, waiting... a few minutes pass and I see him slowly come out of the darkness into the flare light and loot the body before the flare dies.

I can only assume he thought I was long gone. Yet there I was waiting in the forest, watching from the safety of darkness.

As I'm watching him, I spot another player crawling along the ground... skinned as a bandit.

I keep an eye on them, leaning out from behind a tree, moving as slow as I can left or right to keep a visual.

I watch them crawl along the edge of the forest cautiously until they got about 10m from me, and I slowly moved down behind them and they stopped.

I wondered if they heard the grass from my crouch-walking, hoping they mistook it for the noise coming from each other.

They begin moving again, I move in closer and they stop... I am close enough to make a move.

I line them up with my Makarov pistol, let off three shots into the bandit's upper body.

Point straight to his crouching friend and put the remainder of my clip into him before he figured out it was me firing, and his friend was dead.

Both players are dead. My heart is beating like a motherfucker and I'm feeling a little shaky (IRL).

I haven't felt like this while playing a video game since the original "Thief", back in '98!

The tension was insane... I didn't want my hours of gameplay ruined by two bastard bandit fuckers!

A map, watch, more food and medical supplies, a larger backpack, binoculars and more.

Score!

I made my way up the coast and found a safe spot to save and quit for the night.

I don't want to get killed in unknown lands by myself in the night with all my new found loot!

Speaking of, here's an interview from Internode with the creator, "Rocket" - a developer for Bohemia Interactive.

DayZ is awesome!

Thats it, I'm getting this right now.

dude no need to quote such a large post...

anyway ezkaton good on you for killing the two bandits, just be careful you don't get skinned as one trying to make things right :S

This Mod looks like an awesome idea. Love the concept but I have apprehension about the quality, AI and night being too dark for too long with 1:1 time (dark =Good but maybe more ways to see or day night cycle shorter?)

Would love to see this game type Idea Developed as a stand alone game in its own right and if done well could be a best seller/very popular

1. Maybe a realism based sand box MMO with Theme park type elements : meaning some NPCs with decision making consequences ie help, ignor or kill them? Mix of TV show The walking dead, the movie I am Legend, Some Elements of Fall out 3 and Stalker.

2. Custom character creation maybe with some RPG elements like Endurance(run for longer) Speed (sprint faster) Fitness (able to fend of zombie grapples better) Survival (tracking and medical skills) Stealth skills ect. Choose the look of character like APB or EVE character creation system and choices you can make lead into your story how and where you start in the game.

3. Story line/telling elements where you start the game when the zombie infestation just begins with nonlinear branching of story as you progress in an open/persistant world environment

4. Crafting- ad hock mellee weapons -build selters -camp fires -hunt/gather cook food -tailoring -medicine and bandages etc

5. Keep perma death/lootable corpse but have in game Guild/Gang/Group building comaraderie, you can make a base to stash loot come back with a new character get back some of your stuff in stash/cashe if its not looted yet.

6. I like the survivor and Bandit idea. kama/humanity machanic for Player killers. Say you kill some one with lots of player kills you get good kama, kill some one with none/low player kills you get bad kama.

7. Mechanics and Zombie AI - bad sight/good smell particularly towards wounded and bleeding characters/attracted to noise, Slower then player running speed but unlimited endurance , head shot/decapitation kills, wounded will keep comming, take out legs slows them,body shot stuns or they fall and get back up. Thier First attack could be a grapple attack that slows you untill you can fight the zombie off. The effect means if there are other zombies they can catch up and you might get over whelmed. You should beable to fight off 1 fairly easy but chance of being wounded, wounds need to be bandaged and need time to heal, bleeding attacts more zombies. Small chance of being bitten before getting away but you get infected, first you become sick, eventually die and finally can play as a zombie or spawn out making a new character and your corpes becomes a zombie.

8. Combat - Mellee/Archer mechanics similar to mount and blade, Guns as per normal First person/3rd person shooter with bullet conservation paramount. Cinematic Grapple struggles (not sure on the mechanics, maybe some reactionary button presses timed well to escape) Edurance bar so you can run faster than zombies but you soon get tired.

Just some ideas. What do you guys think?

Edit. OMGZ just learnt more about DayZ looks more awesom than I thought...Will definatly look int getting it.

Edited by Harro2

My humanity is about 200 (default spawn humanity is 2500 I think and it increases slowly over time).

So I am lucky.

I think you can kill two, maybe three non-bandits before turning into a bandit yourself.

I'm actually shocked I managed to survive my ordeal with minimal blood loss (from the single Makarov shot).

-build selters -camp fires -hunt/gather cook food

I think you can already do these things.

I currently have a trench digger on me, and I know you can set up tents and camp fires, as well as kill animals for food (cook on the camp fire - and eating meat restores 'blood'/health).

All you need is the correct equipment to do all these things.

Edited by Ezkaton

Yup, being that its in alpha and has 5-6 months of solid dev work til its finished, its already fairly feature rich and will only get better.

Awesome story btw Ezkaton, I was too busy playing Diablo 3 :P

Thanks guys!

I get shot once.

Score!

DayZ is awesome!

I can't believe I bothered to read all that. :P

But it was very entertaining to read. Can't wait to fire this mod up myself

Can tag along with you once I'm in the shiznit? I promise I won't be an idiot who shoots a flare in the night. I'll be like your faithful puppy apprentice!

So played a bit last night at 11pm after trying to fix my brothers PC. Anyways, started in some water and headed towards a town, thought are they zombies? Which was confirmed a minute later by being chased by a few, I try and shoot my gun and throw a flare, start trying various buttons to switch to gun but kept just throwing flares, I died.

So played a bit last night at 11pm after trying to fix my brothers PC. Anyways, started in some water and headed towards a town, thought are they zombies? Which was confirmed a minute later by being chased by a few, I try and shoot my gun and throw a flare, start trying various buttons to switch to gun but kept just throwing flares, I died.

Story of your life. :P

Haha, yeah the controls are a little difficult to pick up without reading a manual.

Controls you need to know:

G - Gear

Scroll Wheel - Context Menu (allows you to interact with the environment, or drink/eat, among other things like picking up items and looting corpses)

Middle Mouse Button - Confirm in the context menu

F - Switch between firearms and thrown (That was your issue PZO, you must have accidentally pressed F and switched to your flares)

Z - Prone

X - Crouch

C - Stand

V - 'Step Over' (for climbing small fences and walls, nothing over waist height)

The rest is pretty standard FPS fare.

Oh and to run, double tap shift to turn run on permanantly, otherwise double tap the direction you want to run to sprint.

Edited by NukeJockey

Z - 'Step Over' (for climbing small fences and walls, nothing over waist height)

V - 'Step Over' (for climbing small fences and walls, nothing over waist height)

I can't believe I bothered to read all that. :P

But it was very entertaining to read. Can't wait to fire this mod up myself

Can tag along with you once I'm in the shiznit? I promise I won't be an idiot who shoots a flare in the night. I'll be like your faithful puppy apprentice!

Sure.

I'm moving up the east coast through the forest at the moment, so if you spawn on the south east coast just move up to where I am.

If you spawn further down toward Elektro or Cherno, or on the south west coast it's going to be a pain in the ass to meet up.

Here's a map for reference: http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/images/chernarus_big_hq.jpg

I'm up on the west side of Solnichniy on the east coast at the moment, just off the road going west out of the town.

Edited by Ezkaton

Z - 'Step Over' (for climbing small fences and walls, nothing over waist height)

lol my bad, typo.

THIS LOOKS GREAT!

OK, what do I need?

Arma II and the mod and that's it? Or Arma Free to play + the mod?

EDIT: Sorry, watching the install guide.

From Day Z about

Persistent Server - Fed up of spending so many hours working towards a goal or finding supplies and then the server crashes on you losing all your progress? Well with the DayZ server all stat's are saved to our external database so where ever you log off, whatever you have will be keep on you next time you come back in. This means you can spend however long you want doing what you want to do. As long as you don't die during the night!

So to stop playing and live my life / sleep / eat / work...I have to put my character somewhere safe to "sleep" in game. Basically hope that my character isn't rapped, killed, burned alive in hut / house or eaten by Zombies?

When you disconnect from the server, your player disappears from the game world.

If you join another server (any DayZ server) you will spawn in on your previous location with all your gear intact.

Haha, yeah the controls are a little difficult to pick up without reading a manual.

It doesn't help that I was very tired from trying to fix my brother computer and had been up since 5am.

I was also on a US server because only 1 low ping server was showing up and it was full.

Also my mate who has picked up playing wants me to join the TS server for the server he's playing on. Why? Because he doesn't want to get attacked by the other people on the server and he reckons this'll protect him. He also seems to have grouped up with them.

He's trying to get me to do the same. But I say, you can't trust randoms!

Edited by PointZeroOne