Ezkaton

DayZ: An ARMA II zombie survival mod

I stick to my personal Ventrilo to play with friends, and I use the 'direct communication' chat feature to communicate with players nearby via mic or text chat.

Direct communication makes your voice come out of your player model so only people near you can hear you. :)

As for in game, I've been fucked over a couple times by other players.

You both agree to keep things friendly and then they kill you when you have your guard down.

I now treat most unfamiliar people with hostility.

Especially considering I have most outgunned with my CZ 550 sniper rifle, and I try not to let people see me before I figure them out.

So I suss them out from a distance, and question their motives with the 'side chat' (blue).

Edited by Ezkaton

I hate that there's no melee.

Running forever being chased by a mob of 10 with no way to stop them is farked.

Also bandits suck.

But the worst thing... is night

raining!

cant see shit.

When you disconnect from the server, your player disappears from the game world.

If you join another server (any DayZ server) you will spawn in on your previous location with all your gear intact.

Thanks, this looks really good.

It reminds me of Stalker. I'm going to get this a give it a try. Any major bugs at the moment?

So if your shot, you pass out, can a friend revive you with bandages and medical supplies? If you get hit once, you keep bleeding and die? Can you break legs?

When you disconnect from the server, your player disappears from the game world.

If you join another server (any DayZ server) you will spawn in on your previous location with all your gear intact.

It reminds me of Stalker. I'm going to get this a give it a try. Any major bugs at the moment?

So if your shot, you pass out, can a friend revive you with bandages and medical supplies? If you get hit once, you keep bleeding and die? Can you break legs?

Only annoying bugs I've run into would be zombies walking through closed doors and water bottle problems trying to fill them in freshwater lakes and ponds.

And swimming can sometimes instantly make your pack and goodies disappear.

Sometimes not. It's wierd. :S

Friends can revive you, as far as I know.

If you get hit you bleed until you bandage yourself.

The worse the wound the faster the bleeding... and you will keep bleeding until death if you don't attend to your wounds.

You can break legs too, yes.

Also bandits suck.

I think they add an extra level of caution and urgency to your situation.

It's not a game about running around and twiddling your thumbs.

It's survival for a reason, if there was no pvp it'd get boring much faster.

For anybody that plans on playing tonight, feel free to add me to Steam and grab my Ventrilo details and join us.

I wonder how much it is to rent an ARMA II server and then get this mod going on it?

Apparently it costs AusArma 'up to' $700 a month... fucken STEEP.

Though I don't know who they're going through?

They are also community funded.

Edited by Ezkaton

I wonder how much it is to rent an ARMA II server and then get this mod going on it?

Its costing AusArma around 10 per slot per month.

1 of 2 things can happen. You can bleed out before you hit the ground and no one can revive you, the other is that you can get knocked down and KO'd (atleast thats what im assuming it is) and after a minute or 2 you will wake back up.

If you get hit or shot and start bleeding, you will lose blood, you need to bandage yourself to stop the bleeding. Your health is measured in blood, you start with 12000 blood, if it gets to 0, youre dead. If it gets below 5000, you start to shake and your vision goes blurry (thankfully if you turn post processing off, the blurriness goes away)

If you fall from a distance or get hit in the legs, its possible to break bones, the severity of the break changes what you can and cant do. For example, I've had my legs broken and all I could do was crawl. But other times, I've had my legs broken and been able to walk, but not run.

Most of this stuff is taken directly from Arma 2, the engine already offers unmatched realism.

I hate that there's no melee.

Running forever being chased by a mob of 10 with no way to stop them is farked.

Also bandits suck.

But the worst thing... is night

raining!

cant see shit.

I agree that lack of melee is a pain, but at the same time, the design philosophy behind the game, (apparantly) was that the creator wanted this to be an 'anti-game', there is not meant to be a sense of balance at all.

You really need to slow your pace down and be cautious whenever you are around built up areas, if its dark, thats reason to be even more cautious.

$10 per slot o_O

$10 per slot o_O

Apparantly, they had a 70 player server and the admin said it was $700 a month.

I may be wrong though, he may have been talking about their 3 servers. But still, its not cheap, arma servers require a bit more computing power than most other games afaik.

Apparantly, they had a 70 player server and the admin said it was $700 a month.

I may be wrong though, he may have been talking about their 3 servers. But still, its not cheap, arma servers require a bit more computing power than most other games afaik.

Yeah I can't actually find any Australian based ARMA II game hosting services, from my quick search. One I did find that does provide services to australia doesn't offer arma in Australia. Oh well....

I'm not 100% sure of the figures. I just remember seeing one of the Ausarma admins saying that its costing them $700 a month, what that money goes to exactly I don't know.

I'm seeing US prices of $2 to $3 a slot for ARMA II.

But hey maybe the mod itself is resource intensive and requires the extra spend?

*shrugs*

I hope to sink some time into the game tonight though

Edited by PointZeroOne

I'm seeing US prices of $2 to $3 a slot for ARMA II.

But hey maybe the mod itself is resource intensive and requires the extra spend?

*shrugs*

I hope to sink some time into the game tonight though

Aus Arma may be hosting their own servers, hence the cost. I honestly don't know any more than what the admin said. Works out to be abolut $2-3 slot if its $700 to run all 3 servers, as they had 2 50p servers and a 70p server when they gave that figure :)

The admins said last night on ANZ1 that ANZ3 will be going up on the weekend, most likely to cope with more players being available to play on weekends.

Probably not running it during the week to keep costs down.

I think they said 'up to' $700, but I recall a $400 figure being the average?

I don't know, but it's not all that cheap.

Oh, and Rocket (dev) said the temperature feature should be updated and working by the weekend.

Apparently they're implementing player infections from cold weather and body temperature issues etc. :)

Edited by Ezkaton

Reading interview on games on net about the mod. They are going to disable global chat and only local/direct chat will work.

Reading interview on games on net about the mod. They are going to disable global chat and only local/direct chat will work.

:D

So i just bought this. Going to give it a go tonight hopefully. Do you guys want to play on the games on the net serveR?

ok I want to get this. WHats the best way to go about it?

I dont have steam but can look into getting it. Im a DVD person though, prefer to buy a hard copy of my games.

Should I buy

ARMA II + Operation Arrowhead

How much and where do you get the mod from?

EB has ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead for $30--------think its $20 on steam

Is there a Pack with ARMA II and expansion all in one? If so whats the title for a search or so I know what to ask for?

OK just looked at www.arma2.com and found this.

The Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead is the standalone expansion to the original ARMA 2 and does not require the original game in order to play.

So is that all I need, where do you get the mod?

Never mind found ARMA II Combined Operations, saw it on steam for $30 <---this all I need?

Edited by Harro2

So i just bought this. Going to give it a go tonight hopefully. Do you guys want to play on the games on the net serveR?

We're in the GON server now but the server isn't set up yet (it just came up not long ago).

Admins seem to be AWOL or something... :/

None of us want to leave though in case something happens and we can't get back in. :(

Harro, Combined Operations and the DayZ mod files are all you need.

Then watch the video on the first post for installation instructions.

Edited by Ezkaton

Harro, Combined Operations and the DayZ mod files are all you need.

Then watch the video on the first post for installation instructions.

Thanks Ezkaton.

I currently dont have steam installed, so will see about getting it. Think I had it installed on my old Windows XP install but wiped it when I upgraded my PC and went to Windows 7.

Hope I remember my old log in. :P

EDIT: quick question

I have an 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD, but don't really want to fill up the SSD with games. Can I install Steam on the SSD and have games downloaded an run off the HDD or should I just install and run Steam on the HDD +games?

EDIT 2:

I have my own directory for games set up like this

Computer>Storage Disk(E:)>My Games

Then I made a folder I named Steam to download and install steam into

so to clarify when Im in steam set up, I select browse and select destination folder to look like this

E:\My Games\Steam\

E: drive being my 1TB HDD

will that be ok?

Edited by Harro2

EDIT: quick question

I have an 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD, but don't really want to fill up the SSD with games. Can I install Steam on the SSD and have games downloaded an run off the HDD or should I just install and run Steam on the HDD +games?

EDIT 2:

I have my own directory for games set up like this

Computer>Storage Disk(E:)>My Games

Then I made a folder I named Steam to download and install steam into

so should look like this

Computer>Storage Disk(E:)>My Games>Steam

will that be ok?

Yes that'll work. What I do is have 2 steam directory's. The one on my storage hdd is for the bulk of my games, the directory on my ssd just has afew games that I'm playing currently.

Just got dayz setup and about to give it a go!

how easy is it to set up like you have done?

Do you initially install steam to your SSD first?

EDIT

never mind im too impatiant will just do all on HDD and be done with it.

I can Build computers, install windows and owned one snice mid 90's but when it comes to softwear side of things Im a total idiot noobz tool and any other name you/I could come up with.

Edited by Harro2

how easy is it to set up like you have done?

Do you initially install steam to your SSD first?

EDIT

never mind im too impatiant will just do all on HDD and be done with it.

I can Build computers, install windows and owned one snice mid 90's but when it comes to softwear side of things Im a total idiot noobz tool and any other name you/I could come up with.

Its not too hard, just install steam on whatever hdd then make a copy onto the other. I then have two shortcuts on my desktop, Steam1, Steam2 etc.

Anyway, my game ain't working. I get "Addon 'dayz_code' requires addon 'CABuildingsParts' ". I followed the install clip to the tee, is it because I only have Operation Arrowhead installed and not Arma 2?