Ezkaton

DayZ: An ARMA II zombie survival mod

hopefully some one can help you.

I don't know for sure but I assume you require ARMA II, Nukejocky said on one of his posts you can grab ARMA II free version (lower texures tho?)

I just installed Steam, remembered my account name and PW has Empire total war, Fall out Vegas and mount and blade Warband on there :P, purchased ARMA II: Combined operations for $30 , currently downloading ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead both at the same time.

This game should keep me ocupied untill GW2 is released :D

Really wanna team up with you guys ingame once I have it all up and running.

Edited by Harro2

Really wanna team up with you guys ingame once I have it all up and running.

Better pray you spawn close to us.

:P

Cleaned up a lot of messed up mods within the program and doing a clean reinstall.

Looking forward to feeling ARMA again. Nothing quite like it.

I might even play more of the actual game but let's see how I'll take DayZ first. :P

So for DayZ, I went to the download section in the website and it gave me a list of PBO rars.... So I download all of them like going down the list or what? Do I use the traditional modfolders method for this? (I have the retail version not steam)

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Anyone know how I work it to use arma 2 free then? I've got the arma 2 base game in my steam but it'll destroy my cap if I download it now.

I think I'm just gonna play this on vanilla ARMA. Don't wanna get complicated.

Anyone know how I work it to use arma 2 free then? I've got the arma 2 base game in my steam but it'll destroy my cap if I download it now.

Here's how to install mods(addons) on the non-steam version of ARMA II Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Looks bloody brilliant. Just bought ARMA II, and it took my brother five minutes of watching a review video of DayZ to purchase also.

THIS, is what gamers want!

Can't wait to play tomorrow night :)

Just got it work, using a steam copy of Operation Arrowhead and the free version of arma 2 (cause it's only a 920mb download). Here's a quick run down incase anyone interested.

Just follow the install clip in the OP, I then started the ARMA 2 download in steam. paused it and then dropped the free version into that directory. Now DayZ can finds the files it needs.

Had a first run. It was nice. I killed off 10 zombies with only a couple mags of makarov. Key is just don't panic and aim. Sadly my effort was in vain. I went into houses to find not food or weapons but engine parts, gasoline and windscreen. Then the zombies got jealous so they came.

Now when I join a server I get dropped down in black and white watching my hourglass decrease. Weird cause I was already told I was dead yet when I join a new one it comes up with my previous character's stats.

Then the zombies got jealous so they came.

And I'm jealous because your playing and I'm still downloading the game :P

2.5 hrs 40% complete so far.

Hopfully should beable to jump on with you tomorrow.

Had a first run. It was nice. I killed off 10 zombies with only a couple mags of makarov. Key is just don't panic and aim. Sadly my effort was in vain. I went into houses to find not food or weapons but engine parts, gasoline and windscreen. Then the zombies got jealous so they came.

Now when I join a server I get dropped down in black and white watching my hourglass decrease. Weird cause I was already told I was dead yet when I join a new one it comes up with my previous character's stats.

That happened to me, wait for the hourglass... something probably bugged out and it has registered you as 'passed out'.

I waited for a while and eventually stood up and continued as normal.

Kinda wierd.

Apparently it's a bug.

I think two or three makarov shots on a zombie should kill it if its aimed on chest. It just takes a while for the zombie to register it's death. So that could be useful to saving your ammo.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Does being past out register you as dead to other players? I must of scared the shit out of this one guy who was trying to take my stuff lol

Edited by SoaS

Does being past out register you as dead to other players? I must of scared the shit out of this one guy who was trying to take my stuff lol

Not exactly, it doesn't say that you're dead or anything, but if its someone who is passed out, you can normally check their pulse.

I think two or three makarov shots on a zombie should kill it if its aimed on chest. It just takes a while for the zombie to register it's death. So that could be useful to saving your ammo.

3 to the chest or 1 to the head.

I've watched a guy in a "Player" hunting video on Youtube. He clipped the guy in the head which knocked him out. You, if you're hit, could be knocked out for 2 minutes and be robbed / eaten. You can come to, though need to heal yourself.

The guy clipped the other human player in the head, vaulted the fence, reloaded his pistol and then pumped two into his head. You can clearly see when they other player dies and more blood and their mouth opens in a "death" expression. He then took all he wanted off his corpse.

This weekend I'm getting this.

So played last night, lived for a while. Server kept going down though which was causing me to revert back to a different location each time.

Spent most of my time sitting on a hill watching people run up and down a road with flares out being chased by zombies.

Tensions and the zombie's speed can really get to ya. Can get frightening. I was in the pitch blackness of night with a friendly sourrounding our beloved flare and a survivor popped out of the blackness and i panicked and gave a shot at it then he full sprayed me. I said sorry and he paused for 20 seconds and then kept shooting. He then convicted me of filthy murder. Good times.

It's a real good testament into how the game can really draw you in.

This guy ran up to me while I was looking at my wonderous hourglass and said "You poor bastard. Daytime is usually less....oppressive" and then he ran off. He probably took my loot as well. Edited by Mr.Twinkie

you should be able to use the flares to set fire to them or something.

It's only an alpha build that's a few weeks old... so hopefully in time they add other ways to get rid of zombies, rather than being forced to shoot.

It's only an alpha build that's a few weeks old... so hopefully in time they add other ways to get rid of zombies, rather than being forced to shoot.

I would expect they'd be working on the zombie AI and making it more realistic to lose them.

Can you ever outrun a zombie that chases you?

Cause they go all bonkers with speed on your ass.

Can you ever outrun a zombie that chases you?

Cause they go all bonkers with speed on your ass.

Yeah, the videos I've watched so far they seem to be more "28 Days Later" super fast then "The Walking Dead" shuffle...

The guy making this works for the developer of Arma. I'm sure some more stuff will come along.

- Stats

- Trading

- Camps

- Quests

- More zombies? Stalker like beast would be cool.

I would expect they'd be working on the zombie AI and making it more realistic to lose them.

I would love to get in a vehicle and full ram it over the zombies. But acquiring a vehicle with all the needed gizmos is hard shit. Edited by Mr.Twinkie

They are upping the zombie count to 1000 I believe.

There was mention in an interview of motorbikes.

Trading? There already is 'trading' talk to someone and say, you'll drop item X if they give you item Y

Someone mentioned fire and possibly tents already.

What sort of stats are you thinking of genders?

Why does it need quests? Way I'm seeing it, is an open world do what you want kind of thing.

Break down my reply:

1) Cool, animations need a bit of work. Though that's probably an engine issue, not a mod issue. Arma III might fix that.

2) Transport seems to be what you scavenge you can put to use on a vehicle. Sort of "Mad Max" it with a Jeep after you find fuel tank, wind shield and radiator...etc...

3) Cool and cool

4) Distance travelled, items traded given / received, murders or theft / robberies , bullets shot...etc...just so maybe you could see someone in game and you could check their status and choose whether to approach them or not. At the moment it seems 50 / 50, you'll be shot or welcomed. Then probably shot anyway.

5) It's basically at the moment survive and that's it. You can loot, cool, kill people, OK not so cool but you can. What about making a bases and have a lock box and hiding your kit and going to an NPC for a mission? Maybe too much?

Seems like you want the more 'hardcore' anti-game aspects removed from it.

For many of us, that's the lure.

A game that doesn't hold your hand... a game where you can explore, but need to be cautious everywhere you go.

I'm sure in time it will start to get dull, but being an alpha build, by the time that happens there should be more features popping up.

Personally, I don't want to be able to see other players' stats to see if they're safe.

It's a game based on a realistic kind of trust.

One where you're never really sure unless you know the person well.

And that's part of the beauty.

I've wanted a zombie survival game for ages.

It's a breath of fresh air in a world full of stagnant game series, reboots, sequels, casual bullshit and so on.

Seems like you want the more 'hardcore' anti-game aspects removed from it.

For many of us, that's the lure.

A game that doesn't hold your hand... a game where you can explore, but need to be cautious everywhere you go.

I'm sure in time it will start to get dull, but being an alpha build, by the time that happens there should be more features popping up.

Personally, I don't want to be able to see other players' stats to see if they're safe.

It's a game based on a realistic kind of trust.

One where you're never really sure unless you know the person well.

And that's part of the beauty.

I've wanted a zombie survival game for ages.

It's a breath of fresh air in a world full of stagnant game series, reboots, sequels, casual bullshit and so on.

Support everything your saying. I don't want it to turn from what it currently is into something else, it just seem like more could be added. Early days yet, almost the weekend and I'll get this on my PC.

NOTE: Seeing this it reminds me of all the Stalker games and Fallout 3, accept online.