Ezkaton

DayZ: An ARMA II zombie survival mod

Watched this video series last night. The guy recording it screams a bit too much, but the way they're playing it is how I'd imagine doing it with some of you guys from BF3 or my with my brother:

Later in the series they get split up even more, then parts of the two groups meet up again. Then some of them get eaten and are still talking while dying. The others argue about saving them or conserving ammo and using the lost of a mate to distract the zombies and make a run for it.

Later on again after catching up with parts of the other group and sharing stories, two of them, well really one of them seriously considering killing one of the others to take his Winchester rifle.

The weekend can't come quick enough.

I tried to give this a go this arvo, but I think the DB shat itself cause the whole time I was spawning in debug forest...

was pretty funny though, everyone was just chatting it up... felt like an oldschool gaming lobby.

What server did you try to join? I was in ANZ2 all afternoon.

I was in ANZ2 in the evening... from about 5pm - 9pm.

Had about 3 disconnections, but otherwise good.

Got shot randomly out of nowhere after stopping for a look around along the power lines in between Prigorodky and Elektro.

He didn't take any of my stuff, which is wierd.

I probably startled a new player and he didn't know he could take my shit.

I had basically all the essentials, aside from a knife and matches.

After re-spawning and trying to get back to my old body... I am half way there and I see in the chat...

"Whoever died to the east of Prigorodky, thanks! You have lots of cool stuff!"

I asked what the body had on it, and he replied "CZ550, revolver, map, binoculars, compass, watch, etc etc"

Yep, that's my body alright.

He ended up waiting for me so I could reclaim the stuff on my body that he didn't take/didn't need or want.

I figured it was safe to go meet him as I'd just spawned and had nothing useful that he'd want other than the AK-47 I found in a plane hangar.

But about 4 minutes before I got there, my body randomly disappeared... yet the buzzing of flies that signify a dead body was still there.

PISSED!

We ended up rolling together for a while anyway. We were using direct mic comms, which got other players' attention while it was getting dark and many ended up coming to find us.

He had a bandit skin which resulted in other players finding us, then attempting to attack us.

Note to players: Unless you have the drop on two well armed dudes (he had an M4 holo, and I had an AK-47) and they're completely oblivious. Don't try and attack them with your Makarov.

You die.

Fast.

Now I have a bandit skin because of players attacking us and getting themselves killed.

I don't mind too much though, the bandit skin is harder to see in the daytime. :)

Nice, I've read that if you kill in cold blood you become a bandit. But, if someone shoots at you and you kill them in self defence you get a "free target" allowance and don't turn into a bandit or lose your humanity. It's self defence after all. But, I think it's still buggy it that respect. People are reporting it in the DayZ forums.

You shouldn't turn into a bandit doing self defence.

Edited by Genders

I call this one: "Adult supervision".

Credits go to Nuke for being the child. :)

Posted Image

Nice shot. Clearly your a bandit I see.

Yeah from last night, if you read my story further above.

My humanity is positive now so most likely next time I log in I'll be back to normal.

Someone had to fill our water bottles >.>

Really? (not sure if sarcastic)

I tried doing that and no water bottles of mine got filled.

Installing my retail copy now of ARMA X...Yeah I've got all of them in that Anniversary edition box.

Been reading this thread for a while now and watching the vids and now seeing as I have some time over the weekend I'm installing it!

See you guys in there, will be under my other username Powermaniac. Steam name is also Powermaniac so will run ARMA 2 through the steam overlay.

EDIT: Quick question, does adding all the expansions of ARMA 2 add anything to the mod or just ARMA 2 and ARMA: OA is needed?

Edited by TheSingularity

I tried to give this a go this arvo, but I think the DB shat itself cause the whole time I was spawning in debug forest...

was pretty funny though, everyone was just chatting it up... felt like an oldschool gaming lobby.

What server did you try to join? I was in ANZ2 all afternoon.

it would have been about 1430-1530...

I tried em all, I was getting the debug forest on all of em or "waiting for response"....

I ended up on node though for the chat spam, cause the others were full, it seemed once you were in you were ok.

I had an awesome game last night though, thoroughly enjoyed it, but lost my winchester!! :( I put it down to try the crossbow and then I got d/c came back, gooone... dammit!

Oh well gonna give the crossbow a go tonight.

@Twink: If refilling from the ocean, walk about waist deep and scroll the mouse wheel and choose the refill water option.

If refilling from a lake or a pond... drop your backpack, all your main equipment (minus pistol and pistol ammo) and swim out then the refill option should pop up.

@Singlularity: You can have the BAF and PMC expansions enabled and they don't conflict with DayZ.

All they do is enable you to join servers also running those, alongside adding the single player content of course.

As for updating, check your versions as since you have a newer 'pack' they might already be up to date or close to.

ARMA II should be on version 1.11.86734

Operation Arrowhead should be on version 1.60.87580

You then need to run them together as 'Combined Operations'.

Edited by Ezkaton

Trying to join ANZ1 see if it works if not then I will be updating some things...

Or trying to work out what I did wrong.

EDIT: Okay not working all the servers have a red X next to it and I get connecting failed. Downloading the updates for the game now.

Edited by TheSingularity

Yep, wrong game version will definitely give you a big fat red X. :)

Yep, wrong game version will definitely give you a big fat red X. :)

Seems it is that. So the updates are downloading but very slowly...Might try downloading the ARMA 2 OA from another site seeing as the ARMA 2 update is nearly finished only 212mb compared to the 704mb of the OA update.

Also I'm wondering how you make it run as Combined Operations seeing as I have the retail copy. I read somewhere you have to open ARMA 2 and ARMA 2 OA to get it to then run as CO in ARMA 2 OA. Is this correct or am I missing something important?

Anyone playing now?

I will be once the update is finished downloading, started downloading it from Ausgamer and it is a lot faster now will be done in 17 minutes it says...

I won't be playing tonight, but I may jump on tomorrow if I'm able.

However, I'm way up near the north-east airfield at the moment...

So most likely not near any/many of you.

Guys,

Downloading Arma II combined operations. Taking it's time...

My Steam account is -MINION-

Add me and once I'll have it I'll buddy up with you.

Edited by Genders

It's very very dark and I'm running along with a flare...I found a road and am following it...Otherwise there is nothing. Had to leave for dinner now back in again.

Found a town and two friendlies...Died as there was so many zombies in the town -___-

Edited by TheSingularity

It's very very dark and I'm running along with a flare...I found a road and am following it...Otherwise there is nothing. Had to leave for dinner now back in again.

The moon will come out about 11pm-ish which will give you some light... assuming it's not overcast or raining, anyway.

I'd also advise not running around with a flare.

It will get you either attacked by zombies, or shot by another player/bandit.

Your best bet for 7pm - 11pm playing is turning the in-game brightness and gamma up... and perhaps a little on your monitor too if in-game isn't enough.

It's still difficult to see but it should give you just enough to be able to navigate.

Otherwise it's just impossible.

Anyone playing now?

By magnificent coincidence, i went into mudg3's server. We shared some adventure happenings on the chat. I maybe shared too much that got myself killed lol.

After I died, I sneaked into a town where I heard two people shooting with something more advanced than pistols. After a bit of wondering inside the town and a few zombies getting put down, I FOUND A STORE. A store with no zombies around it!

I went in and.... I came.

I found loads of good stuf like flashlights, drinks, ammo for all kinds of weapons and bandages for an a group of 4.

Is an M19911 worth getting instead of my makarov when this new pistol only have three mags? What's the damage output?

I also got a map, watch and a good set of supplies. I also got myself an ALICE pack. It has more space but I didn't have much success opening it. I did manage to open it before and put some stuff in there but now to no avail....

All of this glory was then disturbed by a angry zombie banging through the other side of the wall. I lost some blood from that too.

I realized through the sounds and some robotic movement that the zombies seem to be closing in so I DC'd keeping my goodies for some daytime adventure.

I hope that zombie on the other side of the wall don't get any ideas though. Once I DC does it take a while for the server to register that which makes me vulnerable or does it do it like zing?

Edited by Mr.Twinkie