Ezkaton

DayZ: An ARMA II zombie survival mod

So, does anyone have any graphical mods running on ARMA II that don't spaz out with DayZ? If so, which ones?

How to improve game performance

Mods that help well with FPS and visuals.

A Mod that reduces the size of the clutter on Chernarus for a better view and small performance boost.

PROPER - Vegetation Tweak Visuals brings better FPS, less LOD switching and better visual look for ArmA II vegetation

Dynamic View Distance

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

@The discussion on ARMA II's visuals:

I think in the straight daytime the game can look a little iffy in places... and some animation transitions leave a lot to be desired.

But come evening when the sun is going down or at night under the moonlight the game really looks great.

Also take into consideration the game is now three years old and newer, more visually impressive titles like BF3 have tainted us.

But regardless, the gameplay is great.

It becomes even better when you're rolling with people you know.

Finally doing well...

I've killed thirteen Zombies, eleven by head shot, one bandit that was running towards me. Wasn't taking any chances with him. I've killed a survivor as well, so I'm a bandit now. He was looting a bandits corpse, the dead bandit had a ALICE pack. I wanted that, plus I have more water now.

I've got 8x Makarov magazines and a Winchester 1866 with several rounds of slug and pellet.

I've got a compass and watch and all my blood.

I've stalked a group of three survivors who each carried a road flare, I laid still for 5 minutes, I have a watch, spying on them and deciding what to do. I let them be as they were all talking in side chat and I figured them all out and their intentions.

They almost spotted me, I had to run for it.

Later I spied a flare near a warehouse, the user was on he roof, I just stayed still and watched him again for a while.

When he turned away I crouched walked into the warehouse near his building and sorted out my pack.

Next I think I saw the survivor from the roof looting the dead bandit mentioned earlier, I decided I wanted to live longer in game, so I put two slugs from the winchester into him. I then put one in his head. I looted both and went back to my hiding spot.

I was preparing to leave when suddenly a flare lights up my warehouse. Shit, I crapped myself, I'm not dying now. I ran back to to stairs and positioned myself so I was parallel to the door, winchester ready. In comes running a new player, he sees me and I aim and he backs out of the door and runs. I didn't think twice and got back up the stairs and hid in the the small office again, prone and waiting. He doesn't come back.

I was so prepared for a shoot out. That was tense.

This game is great for the tense feelings and utter concentration it needs, otherwise you just die.

I'd enjoy rolling with you guys if we can find each other.

While hiding I read the chat, seems I was playing a clan as they were all meeting up. Lots of chat of people shooting each other by mistake, one guy fell and broke his legs while his mates watch him climbing a ladder...LOL

And just to let you know, my forum name here and at DayZ forum is the same. But my character name is different in game.

Loving this...

Edited by Genders

Yeah times like that makes it fun. Last night I had issues connecting but I figured I'd play long enough to walk about 10km and try to find some food.

30 m4 rounds later and no food because of zombie agro through walls.....3 towns not a single fucking tin of beans to be found. Doing my head in on this shit they have to do something about that. I used to be worried about water but I have 2 bottles and I've figured out wells and all that other jazz that I can fill up at.

I love Arma 2 and I've playing this zombie survival mode a couple of times but didn't like it just like you do guys. I didn't like it because I feel frightened by zombies. lol

Zombies aren't the scary part.

It's run ins with other players.

So true...so, so true. Very very tense...Can they see me, are they going to get me, can I get them? What could they have that I need, should I risk it?

Yeah when someone takes pot shots at you from 300 meters away it can be a little freaky. I had some guy with a Winchester trying to shoot me near Stary Sobar but he didnt seem like the sharpest tool in the shed as he was doing it from the middle of a road with no cover.

Yeah when someone takes pot shots at you from 300 meters away it can be a little freaky. I had some guy with a Winchester trying to shoot me near Stary Sobar but he didnt seem like the sharpest tool in the shed as he was doing it from the middle of a road with no cover.

I got pot shotted continously on a platform. Totally freaks me out.

The fear of the unknown.....

This is the map.

I was at Balota Air Field last night, found a medical field hospital on the coast in front of the air field. I'm now in Komarovo.

When the "EYE" icon in the GUI starts to show lines, does that mean A) Someone is looking at me or in my direction B) My cover is not enough and I'm exposing myself to the potential of being seen.

Edited by Genders

Quote from Rocket and Changelog...

Build 1.5.8 rolling update

It's here!

Patch 1.5.8 a.k.a. "More New ways to get flapped up"

So before it was zombies + players + ladders vs. you.

!!!!!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE CONTENT SERVERS ARE BEING MAXED OUT SO DO NOT REPLY BACK WITH 500 SERVER ERROR!!!!

Now its zombies + players + the environment vs. you.

Good luck.

------

Changelog:

UPDATE : 21 MAY 2012

Affected addons:

dayz_code 1.5.8

dayz_equip 1.2.4

dayz_sfx 1.1.2

dayz 1.2.5

dayz_weapons 1.1.2

Developer's Note:

TO INTERACT WITH MOST ITEMS: YOU NOW NEED TO OPEN GEAR MENU (G) THEN RIGHT CLICK ON THE ITEM! SUCH AS BANDAGING AND EATING AND SHIT

This is a pretty major update. I don't really know what affect the new sickness and temperature system will have on player behavior especially with antibiotics being so scarce.

It is the genesis of an idea, so please remember this might cause havoc. You need to be careful.

To light a fire, you need matches and wood in your inventory. Place more wood in the inventory of a fireplace to keep the fire going.

A fire that does not have wood in it will go out when you try to light it.

You can tell you have an infection, because your character will start coughing. The infection causes you to loose blood down to a minimum of 6000. This leaves you with reduced blood until you take antibiotics.

[NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one

[NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)

[NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)

[NEW] Chance of catching an infection the lower your temperature

[NEW] Chance of catching an infection from already infected players

[NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea

[NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4

[NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths

[NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while

[NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone

[NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection

[NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low

[NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas

[NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning

[NEW] Various Loot spawn balancing changes

[FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny

[FIXED] Whinny is way to powerful and quiet (mmmm your tears will be delicious)

[FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast

[FIXED?] Too many zombies for the Carebears to be able to play

[FIXED] Fog is way too thick

[FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall

[FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights

[FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time

[FIXED] Zombie spotted alert far too quiet (increased slightly)

running into players isnt my gripe over the current mod status.

its the fact that there's way too many too close together.

even if you don't run out of amo.. if you pick one off... you up for an endless run with up to 20-30 chasing you until you hit the ocean.

its almost impossible to find any loot on your own now.

even if you don't run out of amo.. if you pick one off... you up for an endless run with up to 20-30 chasing you until you hit the ocean.

Then don't alert them, sneak around

Jesus fucking H Christ! This fucking gear/inventory system could not be more confusing and convoluted if it tried. I've sat through 3 youtube vids and read and re read the beginners gear guide in the forums and I still have no fucking clue. Just when I think I've got a handle on it I go to try it out and BAM, I still can't use any gear that I have equipped ( I think ). I keep dying of minor flesh wounds and thirst. FUCK!!!! FUCK !!!!!

I almost always loot solo... if there's zombies around, stay prone and move slowly.

Be patient, wait for them to walk of of your way and maneuver around them to get to wherever you need to be.

I only ever get spotted by zombies if the game forces my character to stand up when entering or exiting some buildings, or if the zombies magically see me through a wall (kinda rare) or something.

You wanna survive this world, you're gonna need to learn to be patient.

Jesus fucking H Christ! This fucking gear/inventory system could not be more confusing and convoluted if it tried. I've sat through 3 youtube vids and read and re read the beginners gear guide in the forums and I still have no fucking clue. Just when I think I've got a handle on it I go to try it out and BAM, I still can't use any gear that I have equipped ( I think ). I keep dying of minor flesh wounds and thirst. FUCK!!!! FUCK !!!!!

They've changed it in the latest patch. You have to bring up your gear and right click on the item you want to use and select the 'use' option now. (thats right click on the item on the right not on the list)

I want to like this game but Ive had zero success at doing anything.

Is it me or any one else having inventory management problems. Seems so retarded and now we need wood and antibotics so thats even less room for shit.

Even when I do find stuff to loot I can't fucking pick it up. I mean come on I have a bag and all it can carry is 2 bandages and 5 mags of bullets. why cant I carry ammo? No! the game want it in a bag smaller than my misses hand bag. Damn my mum has more shit in her hand bag than this game allows.

Worst of all servers are full all the time, If I do get on one after waiting hours and hours most of the time im stuck in Waiting for server response.

Never once have I met some one that was friendly. Game is boring solo. Wouldn't mind if a player actually help me for once. Its Survival vs Zombies but might as well be Player vs player with a zombie theme. Game rewards player killing so I should'nt complain really. I Must have been delusional when I first picked up this game thinking great this should be a good co-op experience.

My last expeience, I log in( after trying for like 3 hours),no light, no bullets, no food, no water, im hydrated, starving and its pitch black its night time. Hard enough fighting the mechanics of the game then trying to survive zombies and players. I run along the beach in darkness, no idea where I am , make out the shape of a building , good luck finding a door. My health has gone from 11k to 6k in less than half an hour. Realism? I should last a day or two at least. Not like I can log out and find a server in day time there all full. I relish the sound of a zombie and run to it for relief in death.

I respawn for what seems to take 5 minutes while the server does its thing,YAWN. Finally im back in with full health, food, water and some ammo. I come across 2 player corpes, I search them for loot but I cant grad their shit cause game only alows you to take 2 bandages and 5 ammo rounds. grrr.

End rant...determined to try again and find some fun in this game.

I want to like this game but Ive had zero success at doing anything.

Is it me or any one else having inventory management problems. Seems so retarded and now we need wood and antibotics so thats even less room for shit.

Even when I do find stuff to loot I can't fucking pick it up. I mean come on I have a bag and all it can carry is 2 bandages and 5 mags of bullets. why cant I carry ammo? No! the game want it in a bag smaller than my misses hand bag. Damn my mum has more shit in her hand bag than this game allows.

Sounds like you don't know how to use your actual backpack (which is separate to what you see in your standard inventory).

Click your backpack in your standard inventory, then down the bottom click 'open pack', then you can move items in and out of your pack using the < and > arrows in your inventory list.

Worst of all servers are full all the time, If I do get on one after waiting hours and hours most of the time im stuck in Waiting for server response.

Common issue for some, but most of us are fine 90% of the time. Guess you're just unlucky.

Never once have I met some one that was friendly. Game is boring solo. Wouldn't mind if a player actually help me for once. Its Survival vs Zombies but might as well be Player vs player with a zombie theme. Game rewards player killing so I should'nt complain really. I Must have been delusional when I first picked up this game thinking great this should be a good co-op experience.

Do you even ask in the chat if any friendlies in your area want to roll together? There's heaps of players who're willing to be nice... you just need to show interest.

Of course you also need to use caution as you can't tell if they're lying or not, but that's all part of the risk/reward.

Grouping makes it easier if you run into hostile players, or get stuck in a zombie swarm. Also makes it easier to get vehicles up and running if the group is so inclined.

Use the AusARMA TS (channel info is broadcast ingame on the AusARMA servers) and you'll be sure to find friendly players.

My last expeience, I log in( after trying for like 3 hours),no light, no bullets, no food, no water, im hydrated, starving and its pitch black its night time. Hard enough fighting the mechanics of the game then trying to survive zombies and players. I run along the beach in darkness, no idea where I am , make out the shape of a building , good luck finding a door. My health has gone from 11k to 6k in less than half an hour. Realism? I should last a day or two at least. Not like I can log out and find a server in day time there all full. I relish the sound of a zombie and run to it for relief in death.

I respawn for what seems to take 5 minutes while the server does its thing,YAWN. Finally im back in with full health, food, water and some ammo. I come across 2 player corpes, I search them for loot but I cant grad their shit cause game only alows you to take 2 bandages and 5 ammo rounds. grrr.

Sounds like you're playing in an impatient manner and you seem unwilling to learn or adjust to a different kind of game to what you're used to.

Yes it has a learning curve, yes it requires a little persistence, yes you need to allow yourself time.

And again, learn to use your actual backpack and not just your 'pockets' (main inv) and you'll have much more space for items. Especially if you find a larger pack like an Alice pack (which is surprisingly common).

And remember, the game is still an Alpha build. :)

Edited by Ezkaton

They've changed it in the latest patch. You have to bring up your gear and right click on the item you want to use and select the 'use' option now. (thats right click on the item on the right not on the list)

Thank you. Thank you so much. I thought I had it yesterday. I could equip my bandages, water, beans etc, then scroll through them with my mouse wheel and select when needed. Then I get on today and it's not working. The pack is WAY easier now but I do miss having all my necessities attached to my scroll wheel. Is there still a way to do that ?

Downloading now!

Applying!

Will play!

So has anyone seen or read the "gamma expolit"? What's your thoughts, first time I played this game at night I was shot dead by another newbie player. Second time at night I just went sprinting to the night hoping for it, I was killed by Zombies...how did they see me if I can't see fuck all? Third time in the night I get to a town by running with a road flare. Hey, want do you know I get attacked by Zombies again and some twat shots me dead. Sametime he's laughing at me in Direct Communications.

Maybe Rocket, the developer, should introduce torches to start with and they need batteries? Two torches, a regular small torch, a big beast of a torch and finally your NVG's and NVS's.

Opinions?

It's like the BF3 "M26 DART" debarkle, this developer hasn't broken anything with the mod, but with it being so dark anyone can choose to do this. Everyone can do it if they choose to. It's not the mod, it's the core game itself that you can change.

Edited by Genders

Sounds awesome, will def have to check this out tonight.

It all sounds awesome but I don't wanna worry about an infection. T_T

I got enough on my plate man.

I read there's antibiotics but they're a rare find.

Most likely find them in hospitals like blood bags... but I've never ventured into a hospital 'cause I steer clear of the major cities.

Seems like the logical location for such a thing, though.

Maybe Rocket, the developer, should introduce torches to start with and they need batteries? Two torches, a regular small torch, a big beast of a torch and finally your NVG's and NVS's.

There are torches that require batteries, you just don't start with them.

A standard torch and a military torch, though they take up your pistol slot.

You can also find NVGs but they're a rare loot spawn and only pop up in select locations.

As for the gamma thing, it's just going into your video options and turning it up.

Anybody and everybody can do it, it's a part of ARMA II itself and most likely can't be changed.

It only helps while it's starting to get dark, then once you're in total blackness it barely helps.

Only -just- enough to help you navigate but it's still quite hard to see other players, and make out zombies a lot of the time.

Edited by Ezkaton