Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Director

So who's got a kindle touch?

Been sniffing around one of these for a couple of weeks, mostly cos when I latch onto something I'd like to read it'd be nice to DL and read it straight away, by the time the hard copy gets here from the states I'm usually onto something else. Don't really need the 3G version but would want wireless. Is the touch better than the non touch? Are they having any problems with them? Is $185 the best price ATM?

Cheers

I have the ancient keyboard model. Going on 2 years old and i can't fault it. I use it constantly and it works a charm. Did kill two early on in the piece by leaving them in my bag and throwing that around, seems the e-ink display don't take well to heavy knocks, but Amazon's warranty replacement was very good. I'm not sure that touch would add much to the practicality, and I have heard that the capacitive layer makes a glare that detracts from the e-ink effect.

I gots da Kindle 3 when it became available here early last year. I have to say, one of the better bits of tech I've bought in a long time. I find that because I've got control over font size, word and line spacing, I read a hell of a lot faster on a Kindle than normal books. It has draw backs, but it really comes into it's own when you're reading big books like Game of Thrones.

It's really for cover to cover reading, it sucks for reference material. And I have to hand it to Amazon, a lot of the books are very reasonably priced. Most of the classics are just a couple of bucks.

Using it with Calibre really opens the device up to all the other different formats as well.

OK cool. Do those models have a dictionary function like the touch?

Edit, no worries, just ordered the touch, I remember I had a heap of points to collect from one of those online survey mobs that paid for most of it. :)

Edited by Director

I've got the newest Kindle model, but the non-Touch version. So no keyboard either. Makes text entry a pain, but I've only needed to do that like, 3 times since owning it so it's a very minor pain.

Other than that, I love my Kindle!

+1 to Calibre as well, amkes every eBook format work perfectly on a Kindle.

I've got the newest Kindle model, but the non-Touch version. So no keyboard either. Makes text entry a pain, but I've only needed to do that like, 3 times since owning it so it's a very minor pain.

Other than that, I love my Kindle!

+1 to Calibre as well, amkes every eBook format work perfectly on a Kindle.

The kids bought the non-touch for the missus for Christmas and the all of the above is true.

she loves the damn thing...

Bought one for my wife for Christmas from the US - Paid around $130 for it delivered. I researched them at the time and there was really no comparison to the others. The non-touch version was a pain to use in search mode and the older keyboard version was big and dated.

My wife thinks its great and has been recommending it to friends.