osama_bin_athlon

I just scored a virgin 2600K

I'm just hoping the sucker will overclock higher than the 2500K does - it's pretty ordinary, just under 4.9G - the first one would do 5.2G with no effort - seen 'em going towards a 56X multiplier and higher.....

it'll be interesting to see what this CPU will do, it's a virgin......I wonder if she would like it rough, or should I be gentle

I'm just hoping the sucker will overclock higher than the 2500K does - it's pretty ordinary, just under 4.9G - the first one would do 5.2G with no effort - seen 'em going towards a 56X multiplier and higher.....

it'll be interesting to see what this CPU will do, it's a virgin......I wonder if she would like it rough, or should I be gentle

i'd go in dry

anyway enough.... diablo 3 is 3 minutes away

thanks guys,

I thought it was a pretty good score for the money involved

fuck knows what I'll do with the extra power - the 2500K sits on idle/1.5-6G most of the time......

I'd like to see it at 5.00G comfortable with the H100, and the minimum of voltage, to run 24/7 (as turbo)

hopefully I'll be able to keep HT functioning up to 5 or more Gig

we'll see in the next 24hours, haven't played with a 2600K before - anything I should know?

fingers crossed.

Edited by osama_bin_athlon

i see you got the 2600k now crank it up mate and see what it will do.

i see you got the 2600k now crank it up mate and see what it will do.

you still haven't told me what yours can do, mate.... :p

all going well, I should have the 2600K by around lunchtime

I'll probably start benching tonite, when it cools down

I'll be especially interested in what it'll do with HT enabled (tho I in no way need it - I don't use the 2500K's power)

I might even end up swapping the 2600K for a 3570K, or something, further down the track

anyway, we'll get this 2600K first, and check the fucka out - see what she'll do

both the 2500K and the 2600K are great overclockers, some are just greater than others - which is what I'm after

I want it turboing to 5G (with HT would be nice) 24/7

wish me luck!

hey, no avatars in this post.....cool.

hi y'all,

am now running OCCT at 4.4G with HT on - I'll run it for an hour or so, then try higher - me suspects that I'm either going to have to turn HT off, well before I hit 5G, or start raising volts

it doesn't seem to want to go much higher without a lotta tweaking

meh!

I'd rather drink beer at the moment - been playing computers virtually all day.

Edited by osama_bin_athlon

apart from random benchmark figures, what does the dicking around allow you to do you couldn't before?

apart from random benchmark figures, what does the dicking around allow you to do you couldn't before?

you aren't supposed to ask me that.......

I've been wondering, since I agreed to the swap, why the fuck......

stupid impulse buys.

the 2600 does have a few advantages over the 2500, you know you need those MHz man.

mine does 4.6 @ 1.33v which is a week+ prime stable. it does not work above 4.6 with my RAM at 2133 though. what speed are you running your sticks? I found turning the RAM down to 1600 allows me to push up to ~5.3GHz (HT on) but that takes 1.5v+

5.0 was stable at approx 1.45v but can't remember if that was prime stable or not, I run 4.6 most of the time.

let us know how you go.

max my 2600k will boot\bench at is 5,1ghz ~1.5v

it can prime for an hour at 4.9ghz ~1.4v ht off ht on needs ~.03v more or 150mhz less

but long term stable with the old mb was only 4.3ghz not sure about its long term stability with the new mb yet but despite running occt for a hour and a half ok it did blue screen a few times at 4.8ghz 1.375v ht off

Edited by Dasa

thanks for the info - I did have my RAM set at 2133Mhz, as well as HT on

I'll have to look into it further, once I sort a couple of other problems out.

my CPU is running at 4.4G and 1.3611v (according to CoreTemp) so, that seems about average for these?

what you said about lowering the RAM makes sense - it DID seem to be topping out prematurely.

what you said about lowering the RAM makes sense - it DID seem to be topping out prematurely.

i believe its related to the memory controller being part of the CPU now.

not sure i like it.. if i buy 2133 ram i'd expect it to work at that speed regardless of the cpu speed.

not sure how the pros do it either, some CPUs may have better IMC than others? i've never been able to find anything conclusive.

i believe its related to the memory controller being part of the CPU now.

not sure i like it.. if i buy 2133 ram i'd expect it to work at that speed regardless of the cpu speed.

not sure how the pros do it either, some CPUs may have better IMC than others? i've never been able to find anything conclusive.

exactly!

I didn't pay that little bit extra for 2133Mhz RAM, to have to run it at 1600Mhz, or less

with all these functions being handled by the CPU, the motherboard manufacturers are getting it easy - doesn't appear to have affected their prices, I've noticed!

yeh, I'm not sure that I like it either - perhaps it'll improve as the architecture matures, but that's of little help to us, now.

they always seem to deliver just enough to satisfy the punters, saving the rest for the next batch - I was just talking about this shit a couple of hours ago - built in obsolescence - the next 'big thing' is ready and waiting for the dust to settle on the last 'big thing' - it's just painfully more obvious in the computer world.

one of these days I'll have a computer that doesn't annoy me in one way or another.

yep some imc are better than others so there is at least two things you want to try and get for a top benching cpu

ivy imc is much better and can handle higher mem clocks much easier just a shame the core clock hasnt improved like that

yeah OBA ive been a bit slack as to overclocks,my 2500k will boot into windows at 4.5g on stock volts but i havnt tinkered yet will give it a bit of a whack over the week end will see if it can do 5g+ willout killing the cpu 8-p

that's interesting, Dasa....so IB has got something worthwhile to look at.....

have ago, shirl - you should be able to get much, much higher with that board.......or maybe it was my (dearly departed) CPU......

the CPU's are almost bullet proof (just not OBA proof)

might be worth mentioning increasing qpi/vtt/vccio (same thing different name depending on mb) can help get more out of the imc

might be worth mentioning increasing qpi/vtt/vccio (same thing different name depending on mb) can help get more out of the imc

cool. thanks. I'll write that down.

me wonders what Asrock calls it......

Yeah I see a heap of 5GHz sandy clocks using ram@1600MHz,

Bloomfields seemed to have better mem controllers on a whole.

Yeah I see a heap of 5GHz sandy clocks using ram@1600MHz,

Bloomfields seemed to have better mem controllers on a whole.

this might just be the key - when I achieved 5.2G with my first 2500K, I was using 1600Mhz RAM - shirl has that RAM now.....

fuck, I've been going thru some gear since SB has been around - so much so, that I don't want to add it all up, it'd be too depressing.

I had to use 1.55Vcore and 1.90PLL to get 5.5Ghz with HT on that was benchmark stable. That was with my RAm at 1866Mhz. I don't think i changed any other settings.

RAM @ 1600Mhz - 4.8G

we'll try for more

4.9G

5010.95Mhz

just a tad over 5G

love it!

just lowering the RAM to 1600Mhz (and the Vcore up to 1.5v) and I was there

stupid fast RAM

I'm happy now.

:)

seems 5.00G is about it, without increasing the Vcore over 1.5v - and that's without tweaking anything else - probably a few adjustments here and there will get me over the magic 5.00g......well, technically I've already gone over - 10Mhz over!

yay!

thanks for your help - I wouldn't have thought of the RAM

:)

I had to use 1.55Vcore and 1.90PLL to get 5.5Ghz with HT on that was benchmark stable. That was with my RAm at 1866Mhz. I don't think i changed any other settings.

noted - you just using H20?

just how high can you 'safely' take these chips?